Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better range after 7.0 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just curious if I was making this up or if other people are seeing the same thing, but when I drive to work and let my MS essentially sit outside (temps have dropped slightly) I lose 6-9 rated miles during the day. The first 20 months I've owned the car it has been insignificant (0-1 miles, maybe 2).

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know what could cause this?

I was just curious if I was making this up or if other people are seeing the same thing, but when I drive to work and let my MS essentially sit outside (temps have dropped slightly) I lose 6-9 rated miles during the day. The first 20 months I've owned the car it has been insignificant (0-1 miles, maybe 2).

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know what could cause this?

I'm also experiencing an increased loss of rated range when not driving since upgrading to 7.0, but it's even worse than you. In 75 degree weather, starting with 147 rated miles at 9:30 am, you can see from the screenshot below that there are 4.8 miles unaccounted for (147 less 111 remaining less 31.2 driven) less than 3 hours later.

My understanding is with a P85D, at the displayed efficiency of 300 Wh/mi, I should be getting exactly my rated range, but there are 4.8 miles unaccounted for. My vampire losses pre-7.0 if I recall correctly used to be 2 to 4 miles per 24 hour period.

So I'm wondering, has Tesla reduced the apparent Wh/mi usage by excluding things like the energy needed to heat the pack?​ (My 31.2 miles driven were over two trips, an hour apart, so the pack had to be warmed up twice.)

-- David

IMG_3192.JPG

Yup, I've seen it too.. .although it's erratic (see my earlier posts in this thread where I asked much the same question).

I agree that this feels like it could be a shuffling around of where energy is accounted for.

What I really want is a good solid long road trip where I can burn the majority of my range in one shot without the vampire draw having much chance to accumulate, and see if the lower apparent energy usage really translates to more available miles to drive.

I have a couple longer drives coming up at the end of November... but I'm afraid I'll probably have battery heating usage by then I'd like to try and keep out of the equation...

Revisiting this thread, as I had confluence of a couple of events to day that allowed me to get a decent test in:

- I had four legs of driving spread out over the day totaling ~150 miles
- Mild weather all day (70's)
- I only started out with 70% charge (172 rated miles)

So, the actual total driven was 149 miles. I burned 144 rated miles. So I actually beat rated miles by 5. This includes any vampire loss throughout the day (which I didn't track, however I'd previously unchecked the 'remain connected' box, so it's been lower recently).

I suspect if I had driven the remaining 28 rated miles I ended up at home with, I could have actually put made that 29 or 30. Total average power used for the day was 268 Wh/mi.

The driving was a combination of highway and city stop-n-go. Speeds up to 75 mph.

Interestingly, we arrived at the show we were attending with about 93 rated miles. 2-1/2 hours later when we left, it was displaying 101, am increase of 8 miles, although about 5 of those were burned in the first 2-3 miles. But it appears that the 5-6 additional miles estimated were "really there" based on the 75 mile drive home.

The odometer behavior today, in addition to the somewhat funky previous behavior, makes me wonder if v7 might actually be basing range estimates on recent energy usage for the first time, rather than what appeared to be static estimates previously.

Last edited:
Add another 'classic' P85 to the list of vampire loss anomalies. I see the the efficiency increase in actually driving wh/mi ratings, some of the best i've ever seen...But I would be damned to get 40 kWh of use out of an 80% charge!
Disclaimer - I do not charge nightly, I drive short distances all week, and can typically get away with charging only once per 5 days. (20 miles round trip to work)
But you do the math, that's 100 miles...

I'm going to go out to the car and flip (Swipe) all the toggles to see if there if v7 introduced something new. (I'd be willing to go back to v6 at this point)