Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you did something slightly different to stay in torque sleep more. Did you happen to drive a little slower that day? Just a few MPH might have been enough.

Or, they are probably tweaking the torque sleep with different firmware releases -- did you happen to check which version you were on before and after the service? Maybe you got an upgrade that helped out.

I may have driven a little slower. It did take them a long time to do this upgrade, 6 hours. I figured the service rep was just going through the delay excuses but one was the firmware was being updated.
One odd thing that happened is my android app stopped working. It kept saying the car could not be reached. When I pointed it out to the rep she said I had to program everything in again and it was like I had a new car. That turned out not to be true. No settings were lost. I had to uninstall and re-install the app to get it to work.

Range can be affected by so many things (sounds like you have eliminated many of them) - here are some other possibilities that could have affected your range -

Drag is affected by air density (higher density = higher drag). Air density is affected by temperature and humidity (see article). Density changes can be enough to affect the length of landing strip needed by a plane (for a given weight, lift, and drag coefficient). Higher temps and humidity both reduce air density.

Pressure in tires is not constant either; even if you don't add air, pressure increases with temperature (PV=nRT). Most tires get hotter when running at speed, so their pressure increases.

If air temp, humidity, and tire temp were higher in your return direction than on the way there, your range could be improved.

I took my 70D in to get the LTE upgrade and I got the best range ever on my 90 mile return trip home.
I have 2,600 miles on the car and I've never come close to getting the range indicated on the speedometer.
For the trip home I got 260 Wh/mile when my norm is around 350 Wh/mile.
I started out with 209 miles range and after going 90 miles it showed 119 miles range.
Could they have found something wrong, fixed it and didn't let me know?

As Mknox says, it takes a bit for the tires to break in, and 2600 miles isn't much. Also cars seem to break in as well (things get slightly less stiff, although my experience is that this takes at least 10K miles and may not stabilize till over 20K). Then there's all the other factors that have been mentioned: tire pressure, temperature, etc. You may also be starting to drive slightly differently. If I was to pick one thing, they adjusted the tire pressures, which they do at every service regardless of what the main service was. It only takes a few psi to dramatically affect Wh/mi and the TPMS is woefully inadequate as a slightly low tire warning device.