Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

better roadster phone mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
At the recent 10th annual roadster gathering, someone gave me a plastic partition for my dash tray which was 3D printed and apparently modeled after a Lotus part. Thanks to that person (sorry, didn't catch your name). I ended up re-designing it a bit so that it fit tighter and also made a version that includes a phone mount. See pictures. I'm also attaching STL files (zipped because it's the only way to upload them here) in case you have access to a 3D printer.

When using nav on my phone, I've always found it a problem that my phone slides left and right in my tray, as well as toppling over when I accelerate hard. I haven't found any other phone mounts that I wanted to attach to my dash. This one works well for me and it is adjustable.

This is the magnetic phone mount that I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXVMWLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can't access a 3D printer and really want one of these, let me know and I'll try to make a few extras.

Also included here is the plain partition (no phone mount) which fits nice and tight in the tray.

Attachments

• partition pic 1.jpg
    partition pic 1.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 107
  • partition pic 2.jpg
    partition pic 2.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 89
  • partition pic 3.jpg
    partition pic 3.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 86
  • partition pic 4.jpg
    partition pic 4.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 87
  • partition pic 5.jpg
    partition pic 5.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 85
  • tesla partition & phone mount.JPG
    tesla partition & phone mount.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 89
  • tesla partition.JPG
    tesla partition.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 85
  • tesla partition & phone mount.zip
    420 KB · Views: 38
  • tesla partition.zip
    335.2 KB · Views: 40
Similar to what Carl showed, way back in 2009-10 I designed an aluminum bracket to fit the tray using a slot that is on the upper side under the radio. I had a local sheet metal fabrication shop make some and sold them, but I don't have any more. I have the CAD file if anyone wants it.
bracket-photo.jpg
mount-view.png

At the recent 10th annual roadster gathering, someone gave me a plastic partition for my dash tray which was 3D printed and apparently modeled after a Lotus part. Thanks to that person (sorry, didn't catch your name). I ended up re-designing it a bit so that it fit tighter and also made a version that includes a phone mount. See pictures. I'm also attaching STL files (zipped because it's the only way to upload them here) in case you have access to a 3D printer.

When using nav on my phone, I've always found it a problem that my phone slides left and right in my tray, as well as toppling over when I accelerate hard. I haven't found any other phone mounts that I wanted to attach to my dash. This one works well for me and it is adjustable.

This is the magnetic phone mount that I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXVMWLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can't access a 3D printer and really want one of these, let me know and I'll try to make a few extras.

Also included here is the plain partition (no phone mount) which fits nice and tight in the tray.
This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, in Fact I already have the phone mount you're showing saved on Amazon wish list. Instead of messing with 3D printing it myself, I'd rather pay you for one just like what you're showing here. Start a conversation with me of this is something you're willing to do, thx!

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, in Fact I already have the phone mount you're showing saved on Amazon wish list. Instead of messing with 3D printing it myself, I'd rather pay you for one just like what you're showing here. Start a conversation with me of this is something you're willing to do, thx!
I started a conversation with you, assuming I did it correctly. Glad to run a mount for you.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture