Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better than rated Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for the masses. I am regularly getting ~120 MPGe (220-270 Wh/Mi)on my 2020 LR+, 20 in wheels, about 8K miles, F battery. I drive 50/50 highway/city on a daily basis, but don't often have an opportunity to drive for any prolonged period over 65 MPH. I am using range mode (always) and have TSportline 20in rims. Does this make sense? Did I get some fluke good machine? Anyone else out there getting better mileage than expected? Screenshot of lifetime Wh/Mi attached. Any wisdom is appreciated. I'm still new to the game.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: VikH
Question for the masses. I am regularly getting ~120 MPGe (220-270 Wh/Mi)on my 2020 LR+, 20 in wheels, about 8K miles, F battery. I drive 50/50 highway/city on a daily basis, but don't often have an opportunity to drive for any prolonged period over 65 MPH. I am using range mode (always) and have TSportline 20in rims. Does this make sense? Did I get some fluke good machine? Anyone else out there getting better mileage than expected? Screenshot of lifetime Wh/Mi attached. Any wisdom is appreciated. I'm still new to the game.

Model X does incredibly well around town. I’ll see low 200’s if I’m not doing highway.

I have 10K miles average 280 kw/mi (5K miles over summer) LR not a plus. That includes some towing.

Right, I've read those. Lots of conflicting answers and citing data that is quite old.

The only thing in the manual is that it cuts power to AC/etc and reduces torque. Can't find anything recent substantiating that it does anything else - if you can find some documentation from Tesla that's great.

Yet, Even Tesla says to turn on range mode in cold weather - and recommends its use year-round.

I'm a bit baffled by this thread. OP mentions 220-270 Wh/mi and thinks it is good. Maybe it is. But why is it getting worse than my older 2017 MX where I have averaged 325 Wh/mi over 30,000 miles and still getting that rate? Of course it varies from winter to summer, but that is the average. Seems like a newer car should be getting a lot better performance? No? I guess my brain isn't working well this morning.

I'm a bit baffled by this thread. OP mentions 220-270 Wh/mi and thinks it is good. Maybe it is. But why is it getting worse than my older 2017 MX where I have averaged 325 Wh/mi over 30,000 miles and still getting that rate? Of course it varies from winter to summer, but that is the average. Seems like a newer car should be getting a lot better performance? No? I guess my brain isn't working well this morning.
Hi. The OP is getting better performance than your older one. Wh/mile is how many Watt-hours of energy it takes to go 1 mile. 1 Wh = 0.001 kWh. So with a 100kWh battery, you can get 100kWh/0.325Wh/mi = 307 miles of range. The same calc for the OP: 100kWh/0.270Wh/mi = 370 miles of range.

2019 Long Range here. Since the pandemic hit I have been driving for errands, but once or twice a week I drive a 50 mile tour of the city. I drive routes with few lights and speed limits under 50. I never use range or chill mode. Just the old foot calibration. My lifetime is at 268. But it has been nearly a year since I made a road trip.