Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better Way to Contact Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contacting service isn't working because of the limited options in the app.

Before my insurance company will pay for the replacement of the roof (due to a crack), they need "a complete detailed estimate including part numbers, part pricing, and labor broken down."

I can't find a way to message or email Tesla service to request that information. I've found no way to send messages without actually scheduling service. Phoning hasn't worked so far. Note that to send a query via the contact form, you must select one of these two options:

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 11.21.10 AM.jpg

Any suggestions for the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Al

I have found that scheduling service doesn’t necessarily mean that you expect to have a service appointment. I have gathered that it is Tesla’s preferred method of communication. “Schedule” an appointment, listing other as the topic, then explain what you need. At least where I live, where appointments are available within the next few days, this would result in them responding or contacting me within a day.

Or, can I assume you would be planning for Tesla to actually do the work? Does the quote that they ask you to authorize ahead of the service not have enough detail?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have found that scheduling service doesn’t necessarily mean that you expect to have a service appointment. I have gathered that it is Tesla’s preferred method of communication. “Schedule” an appointment, listing other as the topic, then explain what you need. At least where I live, where appointments are available within the next few days, this would result in them responding or contacting me within a day.

Thanks, that's good to know. I scheduled an appointment even though I'm not ready to bring it in.

Or, can I assume you would be planning for Tesla to actually do the work? Does the quote that they ask you to authorize ahead of the service not have enough detail?

Yes, that's exactly right. I'd have them do the work, but they just said "It will cost $1,200." The insurance company wants more info.

When I went to the SC for bodywork done they told me that I’d have to pay out of pocket first then get reimbursed by my insurance company. Seems like SC's won’t work with insurance adjusters directly. You’ll probably have better luck bringing the car to a Tesla Certified body shop that has good relationships with insurance companies.

Another frustration is that when sending a message to service from the app, the keyboard covers up the edit box. You must type blind.

View attachment 647023

That keyboard issue might be because you are using the tesla app on a tablet (in the video you linked to on it) instead of a phone. When I check on both my android phone and my iPhone, the keyboard does not cover the text entry field.

As for your other question, how best to contact tesla, if your car is already in service, you can call them your closest service center, and listen closely to inquire about a car in service. That gets your local service center.

If your car is NOT in service already, in general, for "detailed breakdowns including parts labor etc" of fixing something, you need to have your car there being fixed. Even if they quote you a number over the phone, that is not what your insurance company will want. They will want the breakdown on the receipt of exactly what was charged, etc, and you get that by taking your car down there and getting an in person quote for repair, after they have looked at it.

You say that now until your insurance company doesn’t want to reimburse you the full amount

I will get a written statement from the insurance company saying they'll cover it before I get the work done.

It's pretty interesting, actually. I'm not sure the insurance company imagined such as expensive glass repair when they came up with the $100 deductible for glass.

BTW, they sent me the detailed estimate:

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.44.07 AM.jpg