Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Between a Model Y and a Subaru Outback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks again for everyone sharing their insight and thoughts...

As far as I know all Subaru models are now direct fuel injection which means after 60,000 miles or so you should probably have the valves walnut blasted. I will never buy another DFI ICE ever. I would rather not buy ICE period. Wives...

I think 60k might be on the more aggressive side, but I think it's pretty much a given that this'll need to be done at some point before 100k miles. The problem is also that the power loss and efficiency is a gradual thing - not something that you instantly just pick up on.

Toyota did this right with the fact they have a double injector system. They use the direct injection in times where the computer thinks you actually need the extra horsepower and advantages of DI, and then when you're idling or at constant highway speed, it has port injection also. Technology very rarely takes a step back, so I don't expect anyone to "go back" to a port-injected engine like they used to be.

As the world moves from larger 8 and 6 cylinder engines down to 4, this puts more strain on the engines as they use turbochargers to make up for that lost power/displacement. This in turn will lead to more carbon buildup issues with the gas recirculation. This has been noted in other brands that have used DI for nearly 20 years now (Audi, BMW, etc.)

Personally I would finish the lease on your Forester and then do your comparison, no need to spend more than you have to just to get out of your lease early, and the quality on a later build will be better than on what they're building currently.

An EV Outback would be my ideal car but since Subaru is glacially slow getting on the EV train, I've pretty much given up on them. For all of Tesla's foibles and quirks, and there are many, they've been leading the EV charge so I'll stick with them until they give me reason not to. Best of luck with your decision-making.

Cool, we've been a Subaru family for a while as well. I would say between myself and extended family, we must have seen around 10 of them over the last 15 years.

I agree, an EV Outback or even an EV Forester would be good for me, and depending on the potential price point, this is where I would have looked first. I think Subaru has a lot of identify in the AWD system it uses, so with it becoming more of an electronic based system as opposed to the mechanical one, they could lose their "purpose" ... Toyota has been applying an eAWD system in their newer cars that have no mechanical transaxle. It's interesting, I'm curious how it plays out over time.

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD.

How could a RWD Tesla be a better winter vehicle than the Outback?
  • No waiting for the engine to warm up.
  • Never a problem starting the car, no matter how cold. Has been sitting outside for a week in -40 degrees? No problem.
  • Cabin warms up incredibly fast (can't speak to the heat pump in the Model Y relative to the resistive heater in my Model 3).
  • Traction control is way better due to the instantaneous acceleration/deceleration that an electric drivetrain provides.
  • "Fill-up" the car in my garage at home - no standing around in a cold wind, waiting for the tank to fill at a smelly gas station.
As your longer commute is only in the summer, then I don't see any really compelling reason to go for the longer range version in your case as presented. A Supercharger stop or two on a long road trip done once every few months is nothing to get too excited about. The Supercharger density is quite high in New Jersey and surrounding states so finding one should not be a problem like it can be in Northern BC/Alberta/Saskatchewan where I drive. If you spend enough time on these forums, you'll soon realize that range anxiety tends to be something that only people who don't drive a Tesla (like yourself) worry about.

As for home charging, I don't know if you've come across this handy table from the Tesla charging adapter page. It shows the significant advantage of 240V charging. The 5-20 is a 120V/20A service, the rest are 240V. You don't necessarily need to upgrade the service to the house to realize significantly better charging rates. Just run a 240V/20A service to where you park (shouldn't require a service upgrade unless you're already really close to the limit on your current service) and you'll get 14 miles of charge per hour charging. If it's on the charger for 10 hours each night you'll have 140 miles of range restored by morning. If the 240V service is cost prohibitive, then maybe consider upgrading from 120V/15A to 120V/20A (if you don't already have 120V/20A service where you park) which would provide 33% faster charging yielding 40 miles in 10 hours rather than 30 miles in 10 hours of charging.

There's no way I'd go back to any ICE vehicle again for winter driving. I once had to venture out this past winter in our Highlander (still keep it for towing until our Cybertruck arrives) in -26C (-15F) with strong winds. It was dreadful. It took half an hour of driving to warm up the cabin. I had to stand outside in a biting wind to fill the tank. The cover for filling the gas froze shut so I had to mess around with that awhile. My gloves reeked of gas when I got back into the vehicle. Then after I loaded up the back with everything I bought, I had to wait another half hour to have a comfortably warm vehicle again. Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to that torture?

This is such a great post. There's a lot of good points and questions here. The fact that you're saying an RWD Tesla performs better in the snow compared to an AWD ICE does speak volumes. The traction control is better despite the fact that you're using an RWD? Is this a matter of computers/electronics or something else?

I'd have to decide whether or not the AWD or the RWD makes the most sense for me. What are the advantages of AWD for a Tesla compared to the RWD model? I'm figuring the performance is better for acceleration, but what about longevity? I thought I'd read an article about how if one motor fails you can still limp along on the other motor so you don't get stranded. I suppose the RWD is slightly more efficient, but probably not hugely so.

I'm curious to the price difference when it launches comparing an RWD LR Model Y vs. an AWD LR Model Y. Having extra miles of range could have its perks, especially as the battery gets older and starts to degrade.

I'm a habitual remote starter thanks to the Subaru app. I routinely have a ready-to-go car before my commute. We don't get nearly that cold here in NJ, but I do see a few days/weeks over the winter where it's in the single digits. Very rarely will it actually turn negative, though. I don't park in the garage due to the size of the garage being tiny (due to a previous renovation that added a bathroom that cannibalized some space from the garage itself)... so it's in the driveway for me, which can fit 4 cars (2x2).

Right, a Supercharger every once and a while is fine with me. What I'm trying to avoid is basically having to rely on the SC on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. During my summer commutes, it's important to know that I may not have access to charge overnight, even on a 120V outlet, at the shore house. It's also a family member's house, not my personal property, so I am not going to pursue having them add a higher voltage circuit just to appease my driving. I fully expect "down the road" that more and more people will get an EV, but as it stands now, not today. You're also correct in your SC density here. They are off the highways, and probably around 20 miles apart which would be okay in a pinch, but they do take a couple extra minutes to get to - they aren't "ON" the highway itself, unfortunately.

For those familiar, travelling the Garden State Parkway, there's a Supercharger at a convenience store near 82, at a mall near exit 100, at a convenience store near 130, and then another one at a convenience store off of exit 145 (which is a little misleading, this one is closer to the Turnpike at exit 15W, so I would go from the GSP to the NJTP and use it at 15W.) There's also one at the Paramus service center off Rt. 17 which is about 10 miles from my house.

I agree with you that 240V charging is better. There's no argument here. What I'm saying is that my panel is maxed and the circuits were already combined and tandem'ed and subpaneled and everything else over the last couple years as we (and previous homeowners) have completed some renovations. There's just no room left to add any other circuits.

I am exploring the 5-20 circuit that you mentioned, though. I was looking into that even before I posted this topic - I have to make sure the breaker and wires for the garage outlet to make sure they're the correct gauge.

I'm basically looking at it like this:

I'm driving 100 miles per week for my commute in the non-summer months. I'll average around another 10 miles per day driving kids around town or to sports/activities. So we'll say that's 170 miles per week. For sake of argument, I'll round this up to 200 miles per week.

A standard 120V15A outlet will charge at 12A due to the 80% load factor code, for 1440 watts per hour. It's generally accepted that you lose 20% efficiency with 120V charging, and 10% with 240V charging. So, we'll take off 20% and that 1440 watts becomes 1152 watts per hour.

The 5-20 (120V20A) outlet would provide 1920 watts per hour, reduced to 1536 watts per hour after efficiency losses.

If I drive a 300 watt per mile efficiency, which seems plausible with the Model Y, I'd be looking at 200 miles * 300 Whpm = 60000 Watts used per week. I have the capability to charge at least 10 hours daily, which with a 5-15 circuit would provide 1152 * 10 = 11520 Watts per day. This means over a week, I will have the capability, at minimum, to recharge 11520 * 7 = 80640 watts. This number will also be higher as I have two days off per week that the car can sit and continue charging (possibly 16+ hours a day on days off), but I figure this would be lost with any extra weekend driving and whatnot. With the 80 kW charging number I mentioned, it would allow me to go up to 266 miles per week before I had an issue with 10 hours of daily charging. This seems capable enough. This number also goes up to 358 miles per week if I used a 5-20 outlet before charging becomes a problem.

I'm also prepared to upgrade the panel for more breaker slots and run a new 6-20 (240V20A) or 14-30 (240V30A) or 14-50 (240V50A) circuit if needed. I just don't know that it'll be needed. I don't want to just spend $1500 for no reason. If my workplace gets charging installed as I'm hopefully for, this won't be a factor at all, because any losses not restored would be easily replenished over my 8 hour workday... My utility doesn't have time based pricing, so it makes no difference to me whether it charges all the time or just overnight. I get the argument that you'd want to start charging an hour or so before you get in the car to help warm up the battery, though. I'd have to look into an app like Stats or TeslaFi to automatically raise my set limit from ~70% SOC to ~80% SOC for routine use about an hour before I plan to leave to start adding more energy to the pack. This way I could leave it plugged in as much as I could, and just get that extra energy/warming effect before I leave for work as needed.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as choices go. Only difference is I drive anywhere from 100 to 200 miles a day and am a little concerned with winter range. Between my wife and I we have owned 5 Subarus in the last 9 years. I absolutely despise the CVT transmission. 1 '13 Impreza, CVT went at 85,000. Replace with junkyard transmission and have since sold. 1 '16 Legacy and had the CVT valve pack replaced at 99,900 miles just under warranty. 3 Outbacks '12 '13 and '16. The '12 was totaled at 60,000 miles so doesn't count towards CVT problems. The '13 had to have the CVT replaced at 95,000 miles, $8000 out of pocket, which they cut a check for after increasing warranties to 100,000. '16 is doing ok so far at 150,000 but have the CVT flushed every 40,000 miles.
If you know someone with a CVT my recommendation would be to have it flushed every 40,000 to 50,000 miles, especially if you do lots of long commutes. Last time I went to the dealer and told the service guy I wanted it done he started to ask why and that it didn't need to be done, when the guy next to him who I have dealt with before told him to not ask me and just do it. He has seen me enough times for CVT's to know better than to ask or argue.
Ordered the Y.
Will be putting in a 14-50 plug on 40 amp circuit
Still a little concerned with the winter range but just north of NYC and Supercharger network is pretty good.
Should be fine in the summer.
Just hoping to not need to use them too much in the winter.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the CVT. I'm curious if it's the drive you're doing - mountains, hills, etc. - or if it's the way you drive? Obviously, not all Subaru CVT's are having this issue. I'm curious as to why this keeps happening. Your Legacy has/had the TR690 like the Outback does, and the Impreza had the TR580, so it's across the whole fleet.

Regarding the 14-50 plug, I just want to clarify that it's a 50 ampere circuit (hence the 50 in 14-50). Due to electrical code, you can only pull 80% constant rated load on the circuit. So, your 14-50 circuit will use 40 amps continuously. This will gain you 240*40 watts per hour, times 90% due to efficiency losses, for a total gain of 8.64 kW per hour. That's the equivalent of nearly 30 miles per hour with a 300 watt mile efficiency

Think of them as kind of Toyata Corrola with additional ground clearance.

Like Range Rovers, the only way to get out of a Subaru is to trade it into another Subaru. That is their way of keeping owners going from one Subaru to another. They will often offer above market trade in values or lease modifications to keep you captive.

In San Francisco you will find them all grouped together in the Whole Foods parking lot.

I think this is true for any brand, they all give you incentives to stay brand-loyal. For me, they're making it an attractive option to get out of the lease at month 30 with no penalty. I could just ride it to 36 months and walk away.

Personally, I find the Subaru has a little more driving "fun" compared to the Toyotas.

Winter ranger really takes a hit when you drive somewhere, let the battery and car get cold, drive somewhere else, let the battery get cold again and repeat multiple times. While the range takes a huge hit getting repeatedly cold soaked, those are not typically days where you’re also putting on a lot of miles.

If you’re heading out on a long road trip with a pre-warmed battery, the range loss is considerably less. I regularly drive 150 miles to our first Supercharger stop with 4 occupants, a full trunk and frunk, a roof box fully loaded with skis and gear at 75 to 80 mph and arrive with 20-25% left on the battery on the first leg heading to the mountains in winter. Only once did I decide to grab a charger halfway there to be safe because of a blizzard. Headwinds and deep snow we’re eating into my range, even though I was driving considerably slower.

Great point. Thanks for sharing your actual experience in the winter.

Then isn’t this debate rather moot for another year or so? The Model Y can be deemed superior, or vice versa, but it really doesn’t matter for you in the near term unless you are willing to break your lease (or replace your other car).

Not necessarily. If Tesla or Carvana could get close enough to the needed buyout amount, I would consider taking the penalty and breaking the lease. We won't be replacing my wife's SUV anytime soon, though. At least, not until the Model Y could demonstrate it could fill that role in our family trips.

In my state, the dealer doesn't have to pay tax on the buyout amount. So, if my bank/leasing company is telling me it will cost me around $25000 to buyout my car, I'd have to subtract around 6.6% for state sales tax since the dealer won't have to pay it. That's around $1500 off. The problem is, Tesla isn't offering me $23,500 for the car, they're offering around $20000. The difference in that $3,500 pays for about 10 months of payments.

Now, that being said, I've been told that as time goes on and depreciation starts to slow (in later year 2 and 3 of leasing/ownership), the values should normalize and get closer. I would have no problem placing the order this year if the trade-in values are more reasonable.

Thanks again for all the posts, all.

The fact that you're saying an RWD Tesla performs better in the snow compared to an AWD ICE does speak volumes. The traction control is better despite the fact that you're using an RWD? Is this a matter of computers/electronics or something else?

The instantaneous and fine control over the power delivery to the wheels that an EV's TCS offers and an ICEV fails to offer is I think the difference that accounts for this. The video posted earlier comparing the Subaru and Tesla on the ball bearing devices was very interesting to watch.

What are the advantages of AWD for a Tesla compared to the RWD model? I'm figuring the performance is better for acceleration, but what about longevity? I thought I'd read an article about how if one motor fails you can still limp along on the other motor so you don't get stranded. I suppose the RWD is slightly more efficient, but probably not hugely so.

AWD accelerates much faster! It makes an even greater difference accelerating on ice. My car doesn't fail to start moving on ice, but it can be pretty slow about it whereas if all 4 wheels were delivering power, it would get going a whole lot quicker to be sure. For the Model S, range was improved with AWD vs RWD. The opposite happened with the Model 3, the switch to AWD decreased range a little relative to the RWD. Has to do with the types of electric motors used.

During my summer commutes, it's important to know that I may not have access to charge overnight, even on a 120V outlet, at the shore house. It's also a family member's house, not my personal property, so I am not going to pursue having them add a higher voltage circuit just to appease my driving.

I visit a family cabin in the summer where I often arrive with 5-10% left on the battery. I plug in (TT-30: 120V/30A regularly used for travel trailers, was installed at the cabin for visitors who come with travel trailers to plug into) Friday night when I arrive and leave Sunday afternoon with a full battery. I'd need an extra half day if it were 120V/15A service.

I'm not going to repeat all your math here but you're on the right track. One consideration is the abundance of J1772 chargers. I drive to the city to attend a hockey game. I park at a free J1772 charger and come back to my car after the game to a full battery. It's often easy to grab a L2 charge while getting groceries, having lunch with friends, watching a movie, etc. When roadtripping, plan to stay at hotels with L2 chargers and have a full battery by morning. I got used to finding L2 chargers with my Volt (hated driving it on gas when I could avoid it). I rarely do so now as it's rare that I can't do all my day's driving on the charge I left home with and I'd rather leave those L2 chargers for those who need them to get about (I think of all those Leaf drivers...), but when I do need them, I'm grateful for them. If you haven't already done so, play around with the Plugshare website. It's a critical tool for a BEV driver who frequently leaves the Supercharger routes as I do.

As an aside, your lengthy replies to people's responses is refreshing to see. Shows you're legitimately trying to learn and understand the topic.

AWD accelerates much faster! It makes an even greater difference accelerating on ice. My car doesn't fail to start moving on ice, but it can be pretty slow about it whereas if all 4 wheels were delivering power, it would get going a whole lot quicker to be sure. For the Model S, range was improved with AWD vs RWD. The opposite happened with the Model 3, the switch to AWD decreased range a little relative to the RWD. Has to do with the types of electric motors used.

I visit a family cabin in the summer where I often arrive with 5-10% left on the battery. I plug in (TT-30: 120V/30A regularly used for travel trailers, was installed at the cabin for visitors who come with travel trailers to plug into) Friday night when I arrive and leave Sunday afternoon with a full battery. I'd need an extra half day if it were 120V/15A service.

I'm not going to repeat all your math here but you're on the right track. One consideration is the abundance of J1772 chargers. I drive to the city to attend a hockey game. When roadtripping, plan to stay at hotels with L2 chargers and have a full battery by morning. If you haven't already done so, play around with the Plugshare website. It's a critical tool for a BEV driver who frequently leaves the Supercharger routes as I do.

As an aside, your lengthy replies to people's responses is refreshing to see. Shows you're legitimately trying to learn and understand the topic.

Thanks! I suppose as long as the price is comparable, there's no reason not to consider going for an AWD. I'd prefer to have the premium interior either way, and not sure how all that's going to play out once they launch an SR or SR+ version of the Model Y. That's good to hear it's capable regardless of the RWD or AWD powertrain, regardless. I wasn't interested in Teslas when the Model 3 launched so I don't know what the now discontinued Model 3 LR RWD costs compared to the LR AWD version that's still available. Thanks for the info about the range being a non-issue between the two.

So, our shore house is near the beach, and it's a functional house, but I don't know the range on the nearest 120V outlet and if it's even working. I suppose I can invest in a high quality short (25') extension cord that's a 10-gauge wire suitable for the purpose and that would get me enough of a charge to not go bonkers over.

There are some public J1772 chargers in Seaside Park but not much else on the barrier island. There really aren't any free options around here for L2 charging on the barrier island. Back home, they are putting an Electrify America station at the Target shopping center nearby, but apparently they're only CCS or Chademo, which is not going to work for me. Hopefully they'll have a J1772 option!

Ideally I'm hoping to leave my Mobile Connector at home and use a J1772 at work if we can get those installed, that way I don't have to mess with the cable when I'm getting ready to leave for work in a hurry. Not sure about roadtripping, but if there's ever a trip there's plenty of Superchargers near the I-95 corridor that I doubt it would be an issue, but I'd still look to find one if it was available or on the way.

I've seen and used the Plugshare (and ChargePoint, and EVGo) apps and also have used ABRP as well. It's a neat program. There are tons of Superchargers around back home - including a brand new v3 unit that's under construction now - and I could always run to that on my lunch break and charge for 30 minutes if I was in a pinch...

Fingers crossed, will try very hard to make this happen. I can't see a reason why it wouldn't at home, even with the regular 120V15A 5-15 outlet. My first order of business is to identify the breaker to see if it's a 20A breaker for the garage outlet, and then would be to remove the outlet and inspect the wiring to see if it's 12 gauge wire or thinner. If it would work, I'd swap the outlet out for a 5-20 and that would probably be enough, but I don't think it would deter me at this point either way.

Are Teslas like Subarus in the sense that they need identical circumference tires? If the front tires are shot, but the backs have a little life left in them, can you replace them 2 at a time, or is it all 4 like my Subarus are...

Thanks again for your reply!

Are Teslas like Subarus in the sense that they need identical circumference tires? If the front tires are shot, but the backs have a little life left in them, can you replace them 2 at a time, or is it all 4 like my Subarus are..

Good question. Mine’s a RWD so it’s not applicable to me. Given it has two motors, one for the front and one for the rear that are not mechanically linked through a differential, my guess would be that It doesn’t matter but don’t take my word for it, do your own research.

There wasn’t a lot of overlap where both long range AWD and RWD versions were being sold but if I recall correctly the difference was a $5K option.

Reactions: Pilot1226
Are Teslas like Subarus in the sense that they need identical circumference tires? If the front tires are shot, but the backs have a little life left in them, can you replace them 2 at a time, or is it all 4 like my Subarus are...
I've only ever replaced 4 at a time on both my Subarus and my Tesla. Since the Tesla (AWD at least) has one motor per axle I think you just have to keep the tires on the same axle the same size; there's still a differential there that you can wear out if they're mis-sized across the axle, but you don't have to worry about fronts and rears being sized differently since each motor is operating independently instead of being mechanically linked (which is why all AWD cars need closely-matched tires. Or so I'm told.).

Reactions: Pilot1226
Thanks for the info above.

Does it make sense to try to get out of the lease early to "save" money long term?

Here's an example, I have 20 months left at around $360 per month. At the end of that I have to pay a $500 disposition fee and any penalties associated with that (probably none, they have a $2000 wear-and-tear allowance for dings and I'm not going to exceed my mileage and I have a separate insurance/hazard warranty for my tires and rims)

That totals $7,720 with the dispo fee.

If I can get into a Model Y with a trade-in for the car being LESS than $7,720, I think I would be saving money in the long run, wouldn't I? Again, I would plan to buy and hold onto the Model Y until it was not functional.

Does it make sense to just wait until the lease is over? Do you expect any new features that aren't on there yet, like a heated wheel, auto dimming side mirror, or something else?

With the lease, once the payments are done, it's done and I have zero.

It looks like Tesla is offering around $21k for the Forester now as trade in, and my leasing company is looking for around $25k for a trade-in offer.

That means I'd "lose" $4k and I'd have to pay that up front, but in the grand scheme I'm ahead another $3720?

I’m neither a finance nor a leasing expert, but my thoughts, as I’m a little skeptical that this “saves” you money:

- If you don’t change anything, over the next 20 months you will pay $7,720 including your dispo fee for use of the Subaru over those 20 months. After that, you will owe nothing and own nothing. In month 21, you can buy a Model Y, another Subaru, or nothing at all.
- Total cost of $7,720

- If you were to break your lease and buy the Model Y now:
- you would pay $25,000 to the leasing company to buy out the Subaru
- you would buy a $54,000 Model Y (assuming LR AWD no options + destination fee)
- less the $21,000 trade in for your Subaru
- total out of pocket of $25,000 + $33,000 = $58,000
- After 20 months of driving, you would have a 20 month old Model Y worth, say, $40,000
- Total cost of $18,000

I’m rounding and probably over-simplifying it. There may be other reasons to do it, but I have difficulty seeing how breaking the lease will save you money.

Tesla's are the only cars on the market that continue to get better over time. A Subaru will only be as good as it was when you drive it off the lot and then goes downhill from there (pardon the pun).

My Tesla is WAY better now than it did when I picked it up 2 years ago...without a visit to a service center.
  • 5% efficiency improvement (ie. more range)
  • Improved breaking distance
  • Faster charging (Supercharger v3)
  • 4 camera dashcam
  • Sentry Mode
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Street light & Stop sign detection
  • Smart Summon
  • Dog Mode
  • Camp Mode
  • Streaming video
  • Spotify
  • Fart Mode (for crying out loud!)
  • Several video games
  • Trax
  • Caraoke
  • Scheduled departure
  • Auto-navigate
  • New controls/features via the app
There is just no comparison and I can't imagine a situation where I would choose a non-Tesla vehicle given the options on the market today.

@myMY808 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't factor in depreciation for the Tesla because this is a car I'm intending to own long-term. So, the payments and such for the Tesla aren't factored in. I probably should count them to a certain extent, but for me it just would change the date; meaning, if I got a 60 month loan, that 5-year loan would end the sooner I start paying it. Whereas, the Subaru Lease is simply money paid for using the car and gone after I've used it. In the long run I guess I'd argue that I would save a LITTLE bit, but when you're looking at the big picture, that's very little in the long run.

I think, instead, what I'm going to do is just save around $100 per week and start massing up a larger down payment. Figuring around 18-20 months, that'll bring in a few thousand when it's time.

@cstork - Yeah, this is what I'm worried about. A car that you just paid off not too long ago for, say, $30k, and now is worth literally $0 because of the mechanical problems. Even though the Tesla is more than $30k, I'm expecting it to last far longer than 8 years. Thanks for sharing your story... it seems more and more common...

@Pilot1226 Just one other thought, since I'm actually now in the middle of replacing my wife's XC60 (she thought her lease was up next year, but it's actually this August o_O). I've been through the whole gamut of small- and mid-size crossovers, done the spreadsheet, read Consumer Reports, etc. and it's down to the RAV 4 hybrid or another Volvo (XC60 or XC40).

The main reason that Subaru is out for me this time (and also why Toyota is going to get down-voted by me) is because of the way they opposed increased fuel economy standards. It's not a sign of forward thinking to me, and I think it's because they haven't figured out electrification and are trying to buy themselves more time and I don't think they should be rewarded for that. It pains me to say that, because I really liked my Subarus, other than the way they burn oil which is how she wound up in an XC60 to start with.

I was hoping the Y would be ready by the time her lease was up next year, but since it's been delayed with COVID and I personally think it's better with Teslas to wait for a couple of years until they get their QC sorted out on new models, we'll lease another vehicle for 2 years, save our money, and watch the quality improve before jumping in on the Y.

If you base buying decisions on forum posts, you will never buy a car :)

Truth is that there are less expensive vehicles to own than Tesla. Tesla commands a premium because of it's advanced all electric drive and system of Superchargers allowing convenient long distance travel. It is an aspirational vehicle for many.

Some of those premium costs are offset by not needing to purchase gasoline, lower maintenance costs and the non polluting nature of electric drive. Bonus is OTA updates that tend to improve the cars over time of ownership.

Their cars are faster and more fun to drive than less expensive alternatives. They offer smooth immediate throttle response, quiet propulsion and great handling.

Seems that the biggest selling point for Subaru is the 2" higher ground clearance than many more conventional vehicles and factory subsidies on leases.

Based on your responses, I'd be cross shopping the 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime with the Y instead of the Outback:
  • It's a plug-in hybrid that runs up to 39 miles in full EV mode (no gas) which easily covers your commute.
  • Has a dual injection motor (port and direct) so you don't have to worry about combustion deposits like the Subaru.
  • Toyota's are some of the most reliable cars in the business and have excellent build quality.
  • Has a CVT but Toyota hasn't had the same type of problems with them as Subaru has.
  • It may qualify for a tax credit as well - the Prius Prime has a credit of $4500 currently - not sure where the Rav4 Prime will end up though. Likely, overall, it will be cheaper than an Outback XT Touring.
  • Uses a heat pump like the Y to extend battery-only range.
  • 0-60 in 5.8 seconds which is faster than the Outback XT
  • Vastly better fuel economy (90 MPGe) than any Outback.
  • Probably go about 500 miles or so on a tank of gas for those longer trips.
  • 10 year / 150,000 mile battery warranty (longer than prior hybrid models from Toyota).
  • It's roughly the same size as the Y (Toyota has a little more cargo room).
  • Has equivalent safety/dynamic functions as the Outback - auto braking, dynamic cruise control, lane trace assist, auto high beams, etc.
I'm cross-shopping the Rav4 Prime and the Y because I already have a 3. If I didn't, I definitely would get the Y - everyone should have a least one Tesla. ;)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and house9
Based on your responses, I'd be cross shopping the 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime with the Y instead of the Outback:

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at the RAV4 Prime from the motor shows last year. I'm not really into the styling, but I am going to plan to test drive it once I get more serious.

You're right - 39 miles of all EV driving would be great, and generally speaking, I am pleased with how Toyota approached the hybrid design as well as the dual-injection setup. I also like that the RAV4 Prime has a spare tire in the back as well. The Toyota CVT is a planetary design with very little wear and tear compared to the lineatronic version from the Subaru fleet.

Regarding incentives, it will depend on the EV range. $4500 is nice from Federal, but I'd only get around $800 from the state instead of the $5000 towards the Tesla. I'd also pay tax on the RAV4 Prime because it's not a full EV. That's an extra 6.6% on whatever the purchase price is.

The existing RAV4 Hybrids have had some issues with the gas tank not filling fully. So, you're only putting 9 gallons into a tank that holds substantially more. As of now, Toyota is kind of saying they're aware of the issue but it's a design thing with the neck of the gas tank/filling tube. Apparently, the Toyotas use a pressurized system in the hybrids because with the reduced demand on gasoline and better mileage, they're pressurizing the tanks to prevent breakdown of gasoline additives (mainly ethanol) which could result in problems down the road. At least, that's what Toyota folks on Youtube are suggesting. Since this is an inherent design issue, it's unlikely this is going to be a quick fix. It really doesn't impact much except maximum range, but could potentially add up to extra gas station trips over the long run.

Yes, the RAV4, Forester, and Model Y seem to be comparable in their cargo capacity. Personally, I like the layout of the Outback better than the RAV4 and Forester. I did test drive the RAV4 mostly out of curiosity compared to the Forester before I leased my Forester. It drove well, the dynamics were slightly more muted and it felt more spartan inside compared to the Subaru, and the Subaru was less expensive.

Price is going to be a big part of this. With all the incentives I'm planning for the Model Y to be purchased in the upper 40's. After sales tax and incentives are figured out for the RAV4 Prime, I'm not sure what type of pricing it would take to get me to skip the Y at this point. If it's in the 40's anyway, it would be hard for me to justify continuing to drive a hybrid or ICE with all the specific ICE related maintenance long-term. $75+ for an oil change twice a year adds up, other specific combustion maintenance also adds up, like spark plugs, transmission fluids, oxygen sensors, airflow sensors, fuel injectors, and all the exhaust components...

It's a tough decision and it'll absolutely come down to a test drive and price point between each. It's clear the Tesla is the front runner here, and hopefully they'll improve some of their early release QC issues.

The RAV4 Prime was actually on my radar before the Model Y was - but I think all this vehicle will do is make me "want" a full BEV after I acquire it.

I'm hoping that the technology continues to improve and when my wife's Honda Pilot is no longer a reliable solution for us, we'll consider something like a Highlander Hybrid or some other larger 3-row SUV. I'm also hoping that the Tesla Model Y would help demonstrate that range anxiety really isn't an issue.

We liked our Subaru especially in the snow, but we did have to top up the oil regularly. Engine rebuilds at the dealership never solved the oil issues, independent Subaru specialist said it is a known issue with the boxer design. Generally, the Subaru is a good car, as long as you watched and topped up the oil. We also have a Honda CRV.

We have almost 80k on a 2018 Model 3 and have a Model Y on order. It has been a great car. It is really so much simpler with an electric-only car. It is great in the snow with snow tires. We drive a lot and hence buy the car and run them until they are done.

The Telsa's have a lot more useable space for a similar-sized car with the frunk.

I think the Model Y will be a much better car than a Rav4 or Subaru, certainly, the Model 3 has been.

Last edited:
We liked our Subaru especially in the snow, but we did have to top up the oil regularly. Engine rebuilds at the dealership never solved the oil issues, independent Subaru specialist said it is a known issue with the boxer design. Generally, the Subaru is a good car, as long as you watched and topped up the oil. We also have a Honda CRV.

We have almost 80k on a 2018 Model 3 and have a Model Y on order. It has been a great car. It is really so much simpler with an electric-only car. It is great in the snow with snow tires. We drive a lot and hence buy the car and run them until they are done.

The Telsa's have a lot more useable space for a similar-sized car with the frunk.

I think the Model Y will be a much better car than a Rav4 or Subaru, certainly, the Model 3 has been.

Thanks for your thoughts.

This whole process is difficult (especially since I haven't owned an EV) because while I am being logical & objective about the actual, tangible benefits, I still don't know about the what-ifs. The scientist in me is all about going for the electric, but there's a part of me that says I should get a PHEV and then I literally never have to worry about anything - chargers being broken or crowded, outlets at my destinations, etc.

All three of the Subarus I've owned have been absolutely surefooted in the snow - even with all seasons. I live in a relatively flat area outside of NYC, but there are some hills & overpasses that require going upwards & downwards. At risk of sounding like the old Subaru commericals, I've always felt like I was in total control; like there was no snow or rain and it was just dry pavement.

I think the Boxer design does has some inherent drawbacks, every engine does; from what I understand, the oil will collect near the bottom of the engine when parked/shut off due to gravity, which could lead to seal/gasket issues if the oil becomes corrosive over time (not changing oil regularly or using a low quality oil).

Subaru did have head gasket issues from the 90's and 00's with the move from the 2.2 to the larger 2.5 liter EJ series engine. This is a design flaw of the non-turbo head gasket. It was corrected in the 2010's onward with a multi-layer-steel gasket material. Coolant had a hand in this as the older coolant apparently needed either a 30 or 60k interval; Super Coolant in modern Subaru cars is supposed to last for around 105k+ for the first interval.

Around 2013, Subaru started moving from the EJ series engine to the current FB series engine. The FB features a timing chain instead of a belt like the EJ did, and also had a top-mount filter, making oil changes pretty painless. Modern iterations from 2019+ also feature direct injection for better fuel economy. The FB, when first launched, had issues of oil consumption. There's a class-action out on it, and apparently the fix was to fill up the oil, and if it burned more than a quart in 1000 miles, they'd rebuild your short block. From what I've read, this is caused by the oil control rings being made with an inferior material, or not up to specifications. This was caused by the supply company that manufactured the oil control rings. While this wasn't Subaru's fault, it was certainly Subaru's problem.

I've heard the same thing about keeping an eye on fluids. For someone like me, I have the reminders set in my phone: check my fluids every 2 weeks. On my old Outback, I did catch a low coolant overflow reservoir with this routine stuff. On my Legacy (2.5 EJ engine) I did catch a low oil level. Every 6 months I clean the MAF sensors in both the cars and spray a silicone based sealant specifically made to protect the battery terminals from corrosion (and that works pretty well!)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts between the Y and the competition. Again I'm not fond of the styling both inside and out of the RAV4 Prime, but it'll depend on the price. The Mini Electric is interesting, until I saw it only had around 110 miles of range. I really need something that's 200 or more, just in case, for piece of mind.

And some good news: After a day trip down to the shore to check on the house, I noticed that both the shore house and the nearby family house both have 120V15A outlets in front, so I will be able to charge at both locations. The LR doesn't seem to be as much of a necessity anymore, but it would depend on the interior differences. I would consider an SR AWD but I don't think Tesla makes them.

I anticipate charging to 60 or 70% SOC for daily use, and I'll go up to 90 for these runs to the shore areas. Even if the battery degrades 10% over 5 years (which is a lot compared to data trends), with a 310 mile range on the Model Y LR, I'm still looking at around 280 miles of actual rated range. If I drive like a maniac, I'd expect this lower to around 250. Even if the battery degraded 25% over 10 years of ownership, I'm still looking at 230 miles of range - which is still fine for me!

Time to start looking for better trade-in quotes for my Forester...