Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEV are exploding all over China.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted in another thread, but decided this needs its own thread.

If this report is credible, 7 BYD BEV cars a day are catching fire, occasionally exploding.
And BVD is just one of 4 BEV makers in China (besides Tesla)

I first leaned of this in this YT video, and the creator said it is due to Chinas massive and careless drive to EV with little regard to quality/safty.

Found two more

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
The internet is so full of misinformation these days, you have to triple check EVERYTHING you read. It would help if EVERYONE did so before posting and contributing to the “confusion.” This source states:
  • According to the Chinese Fire and Rescue Department of the Ministry Emergency Management’s data released on 3-April-2022, that means that there are seven EVs catching fire per day. [not exclusively BYD EVs]
  • If you think that the fire incidents are limited to only cars from Chinese brands, a number of Teslas had also fell victim to battery fires. The models that reportedly caught fire are the Model 3 and Model S. [In fact if you calculate number of Tesla fires (5) per car sold vs number of BYD EV fires (11) per car sold - I suspect you will find Tesla had more fires per car.]
  • Out of 86 reported fire accidents, Chinese brand BYD has the most reported fires [only 11 of 86]. But it is hardly surprising as BYD is the largest EV manufacturer in China.
  • Out of 86 reported incidents only 7 incidents were due to unknown causes while 31 occurred while the car was parked, 22 occurred during charging, 20 occurred when the car was still on the move, and six occurred after a collision.
Who’s closer to the facts? Do your own homework…

Last edited:
The internet is so full of misinformation these days, you have to triple check EVERYTHING you read. It would help if EVERYONE did so before posting and contributing to the “confusion.” This source states:
  • According to the Chinese Fire and Rescue Department of the Ministry Emergency Management’s data released on 3-April-2022, that means that there are seven EVs catching fire per day. [not exclusively BYD EVs]
  • If you think that the fire incidents are limited to only cars from Chinese brands, a number of Teslas had also fell victim to battery fires. The models that reportedly caught fire are the Model 3 and Model S.
  • Out of 86 reported fire accidents, Chinese brand BYD has the most reported fires [only 11 of 86]. But it is hardly surprising as BYD is the largest EV manufacturer in China.
  • Out of 86 reported incidents only 7 incidents were due to unknown causes while 31 occurred while the car was parked, 22 occurred during charging, 20 occurred when the car was still on the move, and six occurred after a collision.
Who’s closer to the facts? Do your own homework…

Agree info is dubious, especially coming from China.
And there may be wrongly blaming all on 1 company, since BYD is the most popular, easy to say all Chinese BEV is BYD. Ooops, my error, it is all Chinese made BEV, not BYD only

And yes, a few Tesla did have battery issues, from what incomplete info I know only after accidents.

That article you posted
in-china-640-evs-caught-fire-in-the-first-quarter-of-2022-up-32-percent
640 cars in 120 days = 5.3 a day.
And this was last year.
If that rate is the same, then as more are produced, more BEV will burn.

Posted data line up. Apologies for singling out BYD, my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:
Hello every.
I suspect very bad journalism as oppose to real EV car fires. After searching I think found the report from the ministry. It mentions 6400 fires but it mainly e-bikes and how they need to do more research and action in the two wheel vehicle industry. Then I found more articles referring to that report but they minimise mentions of e-bikes and instead put in example of ev car burning. It gives a false impression it’s about cars. I suspect but cannot verify this is the basis of the report above with someone later reducing 6400 to 640

The link:

The edited report

He got deported???
He didn't get deported. He fled to avoid arrest. His long-time friend and business partner did the same, along with their wives (and one already had a child). Might have been their Conquering Northern China documentary that pushed things over the edge. Can't show anything the Chinese government doesn't want you to show, and as the government became increasingly paranoid, nationalistic and oppressive, even any of their rather tame, self-censored criticism became too much.

It's kind of laughable the stuff you take for granted that they censor and arrest people for. It's a country that censored the first line of its national anthem at one point.

He's also not salty with China. He loves China. It's the Chinese government he hates. Who doesn't hate oppressive dictatorships?

He didn't get deported. He fled to avoid arrest. His long-time friend and business partner did the same, along with their wives (and one already had a child). Might have been their Conquering Northern China documentary that pushed things over the edge. Can't show anything the Chinese government doesn't want you to show, and as the government became increasingly paranoid, nationalistic and oppressive, even any of their rather tame, self-censored criticism became too much.

It's kind of laughable the stuff you take for granted that they censor and arrest people for. It's a country that censored the first line of its national anthem at one point.

He's also not salty with China. He loves China. It's the Chinese government he hates. Who doesn't hate oppressive dictatorships?
He's certainly been a victim of CPC censorship, but since he left China he's just been a big source of misinformation on China/CPC.

• Disagree
Reactions: MontyFloyd
He is not wrong. China is acting like Vietnam had been in the 70s and 80s. I still don't trust any commy after my dad lost all his money and company to them.

I don't trust a commy even in America. And there so many here in USA, but never lived under commy regime.

Reactions: Skavatar
Easy to find other reports to back what he videos.
He might embellish, but its not fake.

Besides, we have over 100 years of history on how dictatorships function, and they all exhibit the same paranoia and policing mentality.
His BYD graveyard story has been thoroughly debunked, for example. I'm not saying all his stories are fake, but he clearly has a very consistent agenda to push. I wouldn't trust a channel that has a consistent message on anything. For Teslas for example, I wouldn't trust a channel that trashes Teslas in every video or one that praises Teslas in every video.

His BYD graveyard story has been thoroughly debunked, for example. I'm not saying all his stories are fake, but he clearly has a very consistent agenda to push. I wouldn't trust a channel that has a consistent message on anything. For Teslas for example, I wouldn't trust a channel that trashes Teslas in every video or one that praises Teslas in every video.
He didn't make a BYD graveyard story.

Tesla have battery packs manufactured in China sold in China and now in the USA. So the teslas could be China batteries.

I do not like 100Ah prismatic batteries in electrical vehicle battery packs, if a cell short occurs there is no fuse to blow possibly stopping a fire. Tesla battery packs built with cylindrical cells have fuses. Seems like a better idea, don’t know if it shows in the data, battery compositions are different, so not apples to apples.