TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BEV Cabin Heater comparison

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Claude274, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Claude274

Claude274 Member

I currently own a 2015 Nissan Leaf and live in northern Quebec (Canada). My Leaf gives enough cabin heat until -15 Celcius (5F) but is much less powerful beyond that. How Tesla compares to that? I wouldn't want to have to dress as on snowmobiles in my car for long distances.

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

3. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

The 2015 leaf uses a heat pump which has limitations when its really cold (there's nowhere to dump the excess cold)
    It works great for most of the other times though.
    Seat/steering wheel heaters are your friend :)

4. Claude274

Claude274 Member

Yeah I know but there is also radiant heat to help but doesn't produce much heat. That's why I wanted to know if Tesla's system is better.

5. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

As far as I am aware Tesla uses resistance heat to warm the cabin. Not sure if the battery does too.

6. GSP

GSP Member

There are several old threads about winter driving in general with the Model S. I do not recall any complaints from Canadian or Norweigian owners.

In my Chevy Volt, I extend my EV range with the seat heaters and a $25 electric blanket from Amazon that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I would love to have a heated steering wheel. All EVs should have them as standard equipment.

GSP