Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEV Cabin Heater comparison

Claude274

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
I currently own a 2015 Nissan Leaf and live in northern Quebec (Canada). My Leaf gives enough cabin heat until -15 Celcius (5F) but is much less powerful beyond that. How Tesla compares to that? I wouldn't want to have to dress as on snowmobiles in my car for long distances.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
I currently own a 2015 Nissan Leaf and live in northern Quebec (Canada). My Leaf gives enough cabin heat until -15 Celcius (5F) but is much less powerful beyond that. How Tesla compares to that? I wouldn't want to have to dress as on snowmobiles in my car for long distances.
The 2015 leaf uses a heat pump which has limitations when its really cold (there's nowhere to dump the excess cold)
It works great for most of the other times though.
Seat/steering wheel heaters are your friend :)

GSP

Supporting Member
Dec 28, 2007
There are several old threads about winter driving in general with the Model S. I do not recall any complaints from Canadian or Norweigian owners.

In my Chevy Volt, I extend my EV range with the seat heaters and a $25 electric blanket from Amazon that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I would love to have a heated steering wheel. All EVs should have them as standard equipment.

GSP

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC