Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEV Cabin Heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
In a nutshell, I'm wondering if it might make sense for BEV makers to back up their intelligent heat pump HVAC systems with something more intelligent that resistance strip heat. I must admit to having recently mediated on the use of electricity for heating quite a bit, with the end result that I finally went ahead with installation of a propane gas-fired fireplace insert. It is great to have a really big local heat source, and I hope that it doesn't cost as much as it would for that much electric heat. But the experience has left me wondering the following:

What if electricity is really more suitable for spinning motors than it is for cooking resistors? What if flammable fuels really are the tool of choice when heat is what is needed? And wouldn't it so very effectively segregate the needs of a BEV if heat were provided by something totally distinct from the electricity used for locomotion?

My proposal is then that a standard household propane bottle, usually used for barbecue grills, might be the perfect source for backup heat in BEVs, for use when conditions make heat pumps ineffective. The heating system would simply accept a propane supply, provide for electric ignition when needed, thermostatically control the flame, and vent the combustion products appropriately. Fuel would only be needed in very cold (subfreezing) weather, and this could be considered to be an optional part of the "cold weather package."

What do you think?