Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware, don't cook your dog (or kids)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
partially shut the driver's door so that the latch is caught but the door edge sticks out about a centimeter or less.

But with automatic front doors on the X, that might not work...

This is my go-to method when I leave occupants in the car and run into a store really quickly. It's easy and works indefinitely. But you're right, the doors that close automatically on the MX will likely not allow it.

So, I figured it out. It isn't a bug, it's a feature. If you look at the Model X rear climate control panel, there is a section at the top that says "Auto" and then just below it "On" and "Off". The default Auto setting only turns on the rear HVAC if there is someone sitting in the rear. If you select "On", the rear HVAC stays on regardless.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 92
So, I figured it out. It isn't a bug, it's a feature. If you look at the Model X rear climate control panel, there is a section at the top that says "Auto" and then just below it "On" and "Off". The default Auto setting only turns on the rear HVAC if there is someone sitting in the rear. If you select "On", the rear HVAC stays on regardless.
Would "on" mean always on, or the rear is on whenever the HVAC is otherwise on?

O great, something else that will undoubtedly be a problem in the hot southwest sun this coming summer. We pretty much have to run all the AC vents in our SUVs when it's 115°F to keep even temps. Shutting off the rear vents creates a huge furnace in the rear half of the car and forces us to blast the front vents more, seems less efficient to just run the front vents. At least that's the experience with the SUV's we've owned up to this point. I can appreciate Tesla's thinking here that they will switch off the rear vents with no one in the second row, but this needs to be user controllable and not a pain with stupid work-arounds or menu fiddling all the time. My dog rides in the back. My kids are not always with me in the second row. Sometimes the kids ride in the third row of our Explorer because they're kids... Seems like a software issue that needs to be addressed and I'm sure it will get more attention as temps warm up around the country and owners become more vocal.

EDIT -> Should have finished reading the thread. Nice to see the auto/on controls for the rear. I guess I'll have to reserve judgement and play with it when my car arrives. Soon, I hope.

My dogs traveled in the way back over the weekend and when we left them alone in there I turned on climate control from the phone. The climate control turns off automatically after 20 minutes but otherwise it worked fine.

I thought the timeout was 30 minutes. Is that a measured answer or a rough estimate?
Measured, but roughly. One time set a timer on my phone for 20 min a few minutes after turning on climate and found it off but the interior had not yet cooled off at all. Another time checked in just before 20 min was up and it was still on. Did not try to monitor for 40 or more minutes yet.

Just curious how effective everybody feels about the A/C in the X.

Although nobody has owned one in the summer heat yet, anybody from the warmer climates care to comment on how effective it is when hot outside?

Does all the overhead glass that radiates heat impair the cooling effect?

What about the ventilated seats? Is the "cool, dry" noticeable and effective?

Thanks!!

Model X 90D / Midniight Silver / Figured Ash / loaded except upgraded sound / expected delivery May

• Love
Reactions: Lucidor
The A/C works well, especially when all the settings are on Auto. However, it has a problem maintaining a consistent temperature when changing the direction of the car results in the sun changing position (thereby affecting the radiated heat coming off the windshield). So while you're heading away from the sun the A/C will be right on, but when you take that turn and now the sun is shining down from the front, the front of the car starts to heat up but the the A/C doesn't adjust quickly enough.

The ventilated seats are nothing special, unfortunately. They truly feel only ventilated, not actively cooled, so even at the highest setting the heat abatement is minimal. I feel it more in the seat bottom than in the seat back, but both sections are definitely ventilated.

The third row A/C tends run higher and be loud, so unless we have passengers back there, we leave it off.

Very good information, definitely sounds like I will be disappointed with the seats after having the Cayenne for a few years..

I am in Texas, so I do fear the A/C will not keep up with the heat, especially with all that glass.

What is the warmest temperature you have had this year with the same perception of the A/C?

Regardless, it is very unexpected and undocumented behaviour. Tesla replied to my email saying that the Model X does not have second row seat occupancy sensors! I triple checked right now, the AC blows in the rear when parked and you are sitting in the second row, but the moment you lift your butt off the second row, the rear AC turns off. So either I have a unique build that Tesla doesn't know about, or their service people need a better service manual.

Unfortunately this has become the norm at Tesla. Communication has been and continues to be a problem. It's ridiculous that they cannot explain the HVAC behavior you are seeing and claim no knowledge of functionality that the car clearly has.

I would advise anyone getting an X to get a third party tint on the giant windshield glass. You need to tint the top (the part that is factory tinted) more, as it does not stop enough sun on a sunny day. You definitely feel the difference when the sun is shining through the top windshield and when it isn't.

The AC is fine, although I agree that the rear AC makes more noise than you would think it should, but then again, most SUV rear AC systems are loud. It blows a generous amount of air, which is much appreciated on a hot sunny day. You can always adjust the blower speed for the rear AC down, or, as I found out, you can leave the rear AC on auto, so it doesn't turn on at all when no one is in the back.

The ventilated seats work just OK. On the highest setting, it does make a difference, but it isn't cooled air that is blowing, just cabin air. It is less effective than my old Mercedes, for instance. But it is better than nothing.

I would advise anyone getting an X to get a third party tint on the giant windshield glass. You need to tint the top (the part that is factory tinted) more, as it does not stop enough sun on a sunny day. You definitely feel the difference when the sun is shining through the top windshield and when it isn't.

The AC is fine, although I agree that the rear AC makes more noise than you would think it should, but then again, most SUV rear AC systems are loud. It blows a generous amount of air, which is much appreciated on a hot sunny day. You can always adjust the blower speed for the rear AC down, or, as I found out, you can leave the rear AC on auto, so it doesn't turn on at all when no one is in the back.

The ventilated seats work just OK. On the highest setting, it does make a difference, but it isn't cooled air that is blowing, just cabin air. It is less effective than my old Mercedes, for instance. But it is better than nothing.

Any places recommended for tinting? Please post pictures of your aftermarket tint? What type of tint? Did you get the sunshade yet, hopefully that will solve the problem

The A/C works well, especially when all the settings are on Auto. However, it has a problem maintaining a consistent temperature when changing the direction of the car results in the sun changing position (thereby affecting the radiated heat coming off the windshield). So while you're heading away from the sun the A/C will be right on, but when you take that turn and now the sun is shining down from the front, the front of the car starts to heat up but the the A/C doesn't adjust quickly enough.

The ventilated seats are nothing special, unfortunately. They truly feel only ventilated, not actively cooled, so even at the highest setting the heat abatement is minimal. I feel it more in the seat bottom than in the seat back, but both sections are definitely ventilated.

The third row A/C tends run higher and be loud, so unless we have passengers back there, we leave it off.

I disagree, wearing a T-shirt or other summer wear I *definitely* feel cool, dry air on my back even on the lowest seat cooling setting. I haven't worn shorts in Merlin yet so I haven't felt the seat cooling through my jeans yet. It's not *quite* as powerful a seat blow as I get from a friend's BMW, but I found that to be a little too much. Wow, in the wrong context that sounds very much NSFW :)

In auto mode I find the cabin AC fan somewhat anemic and I'll probably take to goosing the fan when the heat kicks in for real, but the seat AC kind of makes up for it a little.

Reactions: K-MTG