Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware: Euro CCS Adapter most likely isn't just an adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles

Today Tesla finally announced the CCS charging option for European Model S / X after Euro Model 3 came out with the CCS port. I'm very excited for this and been waiting for 6 months because nearest Supercharger to me is 1200km but I have around 20 100kW CCS around me and in routes where I travel often. Sad thing is though, CCS for my 2017 Model S requires a service visit for a hardware retrofit. So, although not confirmed it most likely means;

1) When Supercharging you have to use CCS adapter + Model 3 CCS Supercharger. Goodbye old timey Type 2 Supercharger we use without any adapters.
2) Chademo adapter won't work anymore. Just like it doesn't work on Model 3.

CCS uses PLC for communication and Chademo/Supercharger uses CANbus. So even though Chademo and Supercharger are similar in their communications protocol the Chademo adapter which is just a signal faker is huge. While the CCS adapter which uses an entirely different communications protocol is tiny and compact. This likely means this 500€ retrofit is a change of your port. Your port basically changes to CCS port in a Type 2 body because of the physical area designated to a port on Model S/X. Then the adapter is just a pin reroute for this new port so you can actually plug in CCS.

This is not confirmed yet so take it with a grain of salt but it is the most likely scenario. We need to confirm this and find out what exactly the retrofit is.