Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEWARE! Model S died at 20% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I dropped off my Model 3 to have some testing done and received a Model S as a loaner. It was a 60 RWD model.

I needed to drive up the canyon for business so after supercharging to 85% I headed out (about 50 miles away). Outside temps were around 10F, so charge was dropping quickly and it did not look like I would make it home on the remaining charge (65 miles away). My backup plan was to top off at a supercharger and then drive home from there (supercharger was in the opposite direction from home, but what are you going to do?). Eight miles from the supercharger I still had 20% left and it was all downhill from there so I was not worried.

All of the sudden I get a warning: "Battery power too low" followed by something like "Pull over now". So I do, and the car stays on for a few minutes, but it does not respond to any commands. Then it just turns off and everything goes black.

After waiting on hold with Tesla for 30 min, everyone I talk to seems to have no idea what they are doing. Instead of calling a tow truck from Evanston, 8 miles away, they call a tow from Park City, 50+ miles away. IT TOOK 2 HOURS for a tow truck to get there. IT WAS 10F (-10C) outside. I repeatedly told them that Evanston was much closer, and that it was very cold.

The tow truck driver could not find where to connect a tow hook, so he called Tesla and the guy on the phone told him to remove a small plastic cap. This was 2014 model. There is no plastic cap, you have to remove the nose cone. After looking for a while, tow guy was about to pop off one of the parking censors when I suggested removing the nose cone.

Got back to Salt Lake, superchargers were down, but we found a regular charger at the service center a mile down the road from supercharger. Tried everything we could to get the car to accept the charge while it was still on the flatbed. It would not accept the charge. Tow guy called Tesla again, they were no help. I just called an Uber and left for home. Got home around 12:30 am.

Attachments

• model s.jpg
    model s.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 137
Yesterday I dropped off my Model 3 to have some testing done and received a Model S as a loaner. It was a 60 RWD model.

I needed to drive up the canyon for business so after supercharging to 85% I headed out (about 50 miles away). Outside temps were around 10F, so charge was dropping quickly and it did not look like I would make it home on the remaining charge (65 miles away). My backup plan was to top off at a supercharger and then drive home from there (supercharger was in the opposite direction from home, but what are you going to do?). Eight miles from the supercharger I still had 20% left and it was all downhill from there so I was not worried.

All of the sudden I get a warning: "Battery power too low" followed by something like "Pull over now". So I do, and the car stays on for a few minutes, but it does not respond to any commands. Then it just turns off and everything goes black.

After waiting on hold with Tesla for 30 min, everyone I talk to seems to have no idea what they are doing. Instead of calling a tow truck from Evanston, 8 miles away, they call a tow from Park City, 50+ miles away. IT TOOK 2 HOURS for a tow truck to get there. IT WAS 10F (-10C) outside. I repeatedly told them that Evanston was much closer, and that it was very cold.

The tow truck driver could not find where to connect a tow hook, so he called Tesla and the guy on the phone told him to remove a small plastic cap. This was 2014 model. There is no plastic cap, you have to remove the nose cone. After looking for a while, tow guy was about to pop off one of the parking censors when I suggested removing the nose cone.

Got back to Salt Lake, superchargers were down, but we found a regular charger at the service center a mile down the road from supercharger. Tried everything we could to get the car to accept the charge while it was still on the flatbed. It would not accept the charge. Tow guy called Tesla again, they were no help. I just called an Uber and left for home. Got home around 12:30 am.

Couple of things that might explains this:

1) Cold weather
2) really miscalculated SOC gauge
3) Bad battery

Or all 3.

This car is a 60 it seems from the picture so that is a bad sign to begin with. 60s don't do well in cold due to low capacity. Moreover, this is an old 60s so it only gets worse. I suspect this car is fine in high temperature, but once you get cold weather, it might be too old to keep a high enough voltage to prevent the BMS from tripping. Hopefully Tesla takes this car out of service or at least upgrade the battery when loaning out in cold weather.

Reactions: .jg.
There was no printed Owner's Manual in the glove box, with printed instructions for the towing procedure? Of course (at least on my 2017 Model S), there is a towing mode
that one has to activate via the MCU, and it is unclear as to how one would do that if all power is off -- or what that mode does. Your posting is a helpful reminder to all owners (myself included) to review emergency procedures for their vehicle to be prepared for surprises like the unpleasant one you had. Not that this was realistic in your case, given that the vehicle was a service loaner. Of course, misadventures can happen with any type/model of car, and these are what we remember years later, to spin tales for the grand-kids, not the many happy hours of smooth sailing. At least it wasn't a wheel falling off of your Conestoga wagon in such weather! It's still much easier being a pioneer today. ;)

...and the potential CPO buyer’s fear level gets raised one bar. What happens to the sorry bloke that buys that S60, uncalibrated or unconfirmed faulty battery poS and then gets stuck with it bc all sales are final before ya ever get to sit inside it?

Reactions: 1375mlm
CPO from tesla should come with a refreshed warranty of 4 years...

Depends on the mileage on the odometer. Some CPOs get 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty (on top of odometer at time of CPO). Some get 2 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) unrelated to the original warranty (when the odometer hits 100,001 its out of warranty).

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
Is this a real 60 or a software-limited one? If software limited, without ever charging up to 100%, then the battery balance might be out of whack.

To get it to charge you need to jump the 12v battery under the hood. The main computer regulates the charging, and it runs of 12v. So jump the 12v battery to give it some juice, then the computer will come on and allow it to charge up the main battery.

How do I know this? Um, no reason... except that I watched too many bjorn videos and actually did run myself out once and had to use it (it worked).

Reactions: Donz_S
Man sorry OP! I have a late 14 S60 that I got down to 9% last night with no concern, I did get a warning stating battery too cold and greater loss of power or something like that tho. That was here in AZ where it was maybe 45 degrees not 10F lol. Good to know about the Tow hook, I guess I should look and figure out where mine is.