Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of 5YJSA4H48FF091551

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you that saw my post about bad CPO experience and car with about 8k in body damage, this is the car.

Tesla is supposed to refund my deposit, but they have relisted it.

Beautiful car with lots of options, but has some bad body damage so beware. I am attaching some of the most helpful photos as well as the estimate I received.

At some price this would be worth it to someone, but buyer beware. Car is also in New York

I also posted this in the Model S forum

Attachments

• Photo Aug 29, 10 30 28.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 30 28.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 31 57.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 31 57.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 32 25.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 32 25.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 32 35.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 32 35.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 33 11.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 33 11.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 33 16.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 33 16.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 33 20.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 33 20.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Photo Aug 29, 10 33 30.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 10 33 30.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Estimate_to_Repair.pdf
    88.6 KB · Views: 115
This is sad. It was only last year that tesla cpo cars looked new and awesome. Last year I remember getting a cpo and people couldn't even tell that it was used car based on its condition. Now it looks like tesla is selling anything and everything that runs I guess.

I want to close the loop on this because we ended up buying this car.
1. I thank the OP and honestly don't blame him for his reaction given that he couldn't get pictures prior.

2. Probably because of his reaction to the car the price dropped 10% overnight and kept dropping after that so if I estimate correctly using telsainventory, we probably paid 10k-13k$ less than what the OP was about to.

3. I think the OP's shop did him wrong. There was absolutely not 8k$ worth of damage on this car. It looked way better in person (we had seen pictures prior to putting a deposit down) and we got an estimate back from a company that worked on my AMG before (did excellent work) and it was 700$ for the body and 900 for the rims. (they do a flat 300 per rim regardless of the damage)
He told me I could honestly I touch up the rims myself and the scratches as well. Nothing is deep ( you can't feel it with your nail). I'm debating giving it a shot first before taking it to them if I botch it. It's that light.

4. We live a lot closer than the OP, about 4 hours away. So it was less costly for us to go up and risk it. When we went up there I told them I wouldn't sign anything before seeing the car, which they agreed to without any issue. They were super friendly and helpful.

5. We got a v3 P90 battery (those that know of the 90 battery issues will understand) and at 100% charge was reading 272 miles which is right on the money or a little better for a 2015 car.

6. I never got a call back from a sales adviser from clicking the request button. We got put in touch by one when we called a sales center and the person there forwarded our information. Ours was very responsive and sent me a TON of pictures for the various cars we were looking at (I think about 13 total cars).

So all in all I feel bad for the OP but strongly advise people to find a way to get a responsive adviser. I agree that Tesla's new "CPO" process is nuts so absolutely don't sign anything until you physically check the car.

1. I thank the OP and honestly don't blame him for his reaction given that he couldn't get pictures prior.

2. Probably because of his reaction to the car the price dropped 10% overnight and kept dropping after that so if I estimate correctly using telsainventory, we probably paid 10k-13k$ less than what the OP was about to.

3. I think the OP's shop did him wrong. There was absolutely not 8k$ worth of damage on this car. It looked way better in person (we had seen pictures prior to putting a deposit down) and we got an estimate back from a company that worked on my AMG before (did excellent work) and it was 700$ for the body and 900 for the rims. (they do a flat 300 per rim regardless of the damage)
He told me I could honestly I touch up the rims myself and the scratches as well. Nothing is deep ( you can't feel it with your nail). I'm debating giving it a shot first before taking it to them if I botch it. It's that light.

4. We live a lot closer than the OP, about 4 hours away. So it was less costly for us to go up and risk it. When we went up there I told them I wouldn't sign anything before seeing the car, which they agreed to without any issue. They were super friendly and helpful.

5. We got a v3 P90 battery (those that know of the 90 battery issues will understand) and at 100% charge was reading 272 miles which is right on the money or a little better for a 2015 car.

6. I never got a call back from a sales adviser from clicking the request button. We got put in touch by one when we called a sales center and the person there forwarded our information. Ours was very responsive and sent me a TON of pictures for the various cars we were looking at (I think about 13 total cars).

So all in all I feel bad for the OP but strongly advise people to find a way to get a responsive adviser. I agree that Tesla's new "CPO" process is nuts so absolutely don't sign anything until you physically check the car.
care to pm me your advisors info? I am still looking for a S and need a good advisor!

Thx for taking the time to share this information.

Reactions: X Fan
Tesla authorized/approved bodyshop charges an arm & leg for the smallest body damage. I had a small scratch on the driver side of the rear bumper. The scratch cut through the paint to the actual plastic of the bumper. The scratch is about 0.75 inches long, 0.05 inch wide.

The Tesla authorized Bodyshop quoted $1800 to fix it. The shop kept telling me "with $125/hour, bloody blah". I took it to a Mercedes Benz authorized body shop which we used on our past MB vehicle. They fixed it for $650 (repaint the bumper and buffed out the adjacent driver side rear quarter panel).

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
Tesla authorized/approved bodyshop charges an arm & leg for the smallest body damage. I had a small scratch on the driver side of the rear bumper. The scratch cut through the paint to the actual plastic of the bumper. The scratch is about 0.75 inches long, 0.05 inch wide.

The Tesla authorized Bodyshop quoted $1800 to fix it. The shop kept telling me "with $125/hour, bloody blah". I took it to a Mercedes Benz authorized body shop which we used on our past MB vehicle. They fixed it for $650 (repaint the bumper and buffed out the adjacent driver side rear quarter panel).
This seems like what happened to the OP. I actually took an alcohol pad and wiped down the rear quarter panel you see in the picture and it looked almost completely good. I don't want to hijack this thread but if anyone is interested I can take pictures before and after I give it a shot.

Thanks for posting.
Does Tesla give you the Carfax report before you put the deposit?
How do you get the quote of the repair from the body shop?
Do you get any picture of the car before you put your deposit?

Thaks

For those of you that saw my post about bad CPO experience and car with about 8k in body damage, this is the car.

Tesla is supposed to refund my deposit, but they have relisted it.

Beautiful car with lots of options, but has some bad body damage so beware. I am attaching some of the most helpful photos as well as the estimate I received.

At some price this would be worth it to someone, but buyer beware. Car is also in New York

I also posted this in the Model S forum