Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of good deals on Vroom.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me and my wife found a high-mileage S85 for $39k on vroom and decided to go ahead and buy it.

We paid them the deposit, then we paid for Tesla to inspect. Inspection revealed only minor things (only one key, no documentation, windshield wiper not attached). We then went ahead an wired them full payment.

They scheduled a delivery, we waited all day and they never showed. We called the delivery company and eventually got a hold of someone that could tell us that vroom had sent the delivery driver away saying the vehicle was "not ready".

Although they say it is generally 2-10 days for delivery it took over three weeks for them to get us the vehicle after we wired them full payment. This time it actually was delivered - it was late at night, 2% charge and missing the advertised wall connector (which we never got).

With all things considered we decided to have the vehicle inspected once more at a Tesla Service Center. This time they found many issues totalling over $1800 and could not complete the inspection. The front-left wheel was bent, the front-left pressure sensor was not working, and several other smaller issues. The bent wheel was also preventing Tesla from checking the alignment and completing the inspection. The Tesla in Indianapolis said the issues would have been noted if found and that the vehicle had excellent alignment when inspected. We then remembered that one of the reasons they provided for the delay was a "big paint" being done on the driver-side edge of hood. It this point it was clear they had some sort of accident on the front-right part of the vehicle and decided not to disclose this information to us.

Vroom.com offered to pay for $800, when we rejected that they offered to pay $1500 on the condition we sign a mutual release. Without knowing the extent of the damages we could not sign such a mutual release even if we were willing to eat the $300+ difference, since the alignment had not yet been checked. Running really close at this point to the 7 day return we decided to request a return. That's where we are now, trying to get our money back... we will see how that goes.

We filed a complaint with the BBB (where somehow they have an A+ rating). We want to make sure others considering them are aware of what can happen.

I told them when I was buying it that I required Tesla conduct an independent inspection. They said that would be fine as long as I pay for it (cost $225). Vroom drove it to the tesla dealership and back. Scott Brown from Tesla in Indianapolis (that is where the car was located) was my contact for the inspection and sent me the results.

another tip of advice for people looking to buy a Tesla from 3rd party dealers, most of these cars are from auction(not saying all because they could be from a trade in) and Tesla are the ones auctioning off these cars because they do not want to CPO it themselves. that would give it a big red flag if even Tesla doesnt want to try to sell it. although Tesla is very strict with their CPO program, even a minor repair like a repaint would trigger them not to CPO it.

• Informative
Reactions: dseapy
Very good point, that is something that worried us. We did receive the previous title showing Tesla sold it to vroom a few months ago. Tesla said the cpo inspection is very thorough and takes days, compared to the "level 3" inspection we paid for that takes about 1 hour. Not sure why Tesla sold it and I'm sure Tesla wouldn't volunteer that information.

I am aware of at least one instance in which Tesla took in a trade with body work/paintwork and resold as CPO. So likely not a hard and fast rule.

most of these cases are because it leaks through the cracks and usually the info gets disclosed after the deposit is placed and Tesla ends up lowering the price a few thousands, i've seen it countless times where people post their story on the forums and ask for advice whether to still accept the car or not

The $225 is for a level 3 inspection, the most thorough I could pay for as far as I know. You can have them do a free courtesy inspection that isn't as thorough, but may be sufficient depending on what you need. Note, they will only inspect the vehicle for the owner. The 1st time I had it inspected it was done through vroom, the second time I had to wait a couple days for Tesla to transfer ownership to me (by providing them the buyers tag and drivers license copy) and schedule an appointment.

As a side note Tesla service was great and they offered a free rental car during the 2nd inspection in case I didn't want to wait, don't know if that is typical.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
OP, sorry to hear about your experience with Vroom. I just bought an MX P90D from their TDA dealership in Dallas. I didn't have the same delivery issues because i live close enough to pick it up, but we did just put 1k miles on it for Thanksgiving with no problems *yet*.

Sorry to hear your issues with Vroom.
We’ve sold a Tesla (‘17 Model S) and a BMW to Vroom in which they resold rather quickly in return to someone else. It was a painless process on our selling part.

I wouldn’t say all their cars come from auction, but yes, a big majority do.

Glad to hear that there are some good experiences with vroom.

My main point is that the company has behaved unethically and if you buy from them (which I wouldn't recommend) at the very least make sure to get Tesla to inspect it AFTER you receive the vehicle.

After repeated inquiries of delays after the initial Tesla inspection, they said "they are doing some on-site finishing, they have it back at our dealership. Completing full cosmetic detail." Then after more inquiries the sales person finally sent me a screen capture of a form indicating the big paint job. I specifically asked Tesla and they said there weren't any notable scratches/dents from the first inspection. To me it's unacceptable that a company like vroom that says they perform "Multiple Inspections" and advertises "No Accidents. Ever", would damage the vehicle after purchase/inspection, not disclosing it and then deliver it in damaged condition.

Everyone has their own reason for buying a Tesla. One of my main ones is I like the company, what they are trying to accomplish, and want to support them (even if only helping their resale value) - also they make great cars ;) Supporting a company that behaves the way vroom does sours the experience and at this point would be fine paying an extra $5-$10k to go through the cpo program.

Reactions: Olds442
I am aware of at least one instance in which Tesla took in a trade with body work/paintwork and resold as CPO. So likely not a hard and fast rule.
I bought my Sig P85 CPO, and it had a minor front end accident on it that required some suspension work. I think it's a combination of mileage/projected warranty pay-outs that determines if they CPO a car or not