Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of issues If you sell car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traded my Model Y in on an Ioniq 5 three weeks ago. At that time I (thought) I deleted car and account as well as reset car to factory settings. Today I got an email that I purchased premium connectivity and in checking credit card there have been multiple SC charges also. It seems that when you go to delete car, the first step wants new individual owner and email. Didn't have that since it was a dealer so I just did remove car and skip step. Obviously, in hindsight, that's wrong. Now, the major aggravation from this is that there's no email, no chat and no numbers to call as Telsa's idea of customer service is absolutely abysmal. I have no idea on how to report this to them.
Although the purchase of the I5 was mainly financial, excellent trade value and $7500 credit. The lack of customer service at Tesla has always been a strong concern for me. Does anyone have suggestions on how to contact Tesla for something like this?

Try to sell directly to the next owner... dealers just give you less and charge the next owner more. Cut out the middleman.

In Tesla's case, once they take ownership of the car, they'll remove any purchases you made (which is their right, as owners). Its just better to hook up the next owner than let a dealer take advantage of them.

Contact Tesla Customer Support and/or go to your local Tesla store and speak with a manager to get this sorted out. It may be painful to jump through these hoops but the alternative is to do nothing and that's ill-advised.
There is no customer support to contact..looks like they MIGHT have limited hours during normal business hours. If you've got an email address or chat or phone that I can't find I'd appreciate it. I can go to the store on Tuesday but they've been very unhelpful in past with anything out of the norm.

Try to sell directly to the next owner... dealers just give you less and charge the next owner more. Cut out the middleman.

In Tesla's case, once they take ownership of the car, they'll remove any purchases you made (which is their right, as owners). Its just better to hook up the next owner than let a dealer take advantage of them.
Got excellent money on the Trade, May 20 MY, with 9K back in pocket and 7.5K tax credit even though I got upgraded trim on the I5. Additionally, if you trade in Florida, you don't pay any tax on the trade difference (in this case, zero). Also, you don't have to worry about the private owner's legitimacy of payment, loans etc or gaps in ownership if you've ordered the new vehicle.

Factory reset and deleting car from account should do the trick. Be responsible for your own *sugar*.
I thought I did delete account, it was nebulous that it "had skip this item" (new owner name and email address) and allowed you to continue on the delete page to item 2. What should be done for those reading this for the future is that you hit 3rd party sale (whatever that really means) and continue from there as that worked for me today. I was also able to shut off in car purchases (today) on the app before deleting the car.
By the way, I really did like the Model Y, great car. The I5 is a pretty nice vehicle also with some things better and some not.

Last edited:
Traded my Model Y in on an Ioniq 5 three weeks ago. At that time I (thought) I deleted car and account as well as reset car to factory settings. Today I got an email that I purchased premium connectivity and in checking credit card there have been multiple SC charges also. It seems that when you go to delete car, the first step wants new individual owner and email. Didn't have that since it was a dealer so I just did remove car and skip step. Obviously, in hindsight, that's wrong. Now, the major aggravation from this is that there's no email, no chat and no numbers to call as Telsa's idea of customer service is absolutely abysmal. I have no idea on how to report this to them.
Although the purchase of the I5 was mainly financial, excellent trade value and $7500 credit. The lack of customer service at Tesla has always been a strong concern for me. Does anyone have suggestions on how to contact Tesla for something like this?
I think I would drive to the nearest service center and talk to one of the sales assistants.

Reactions: Flybuddy

Go into your Tesla account on the web page and delete your card, then reverse the charges with your credit card company. Explain that they were fraudulent charges and if necessary cancel that card and get a new one.

Keith

Reactions: Thp3
Following….have a new PMY on order and on my checklist I have those standard tasks to RESET TO FACTORY and DELETE the car from my account. Guess I’ll add DELETING the CC too.
I've sold and transferred 2 Tesla's to Driveway and Cargurus by using their name (Driveway LLC, Cargurus for example) and used the email address of their company rep I was dealing with. Also did Factory Reset before turning over the car to buyer.

It worked without issue for both times REMOVING the cars from my account.

I've sold and transferred 2 Tesla's to Driveway and Cargurus by using their name (Driveway LLC, Cargurus for example) and used the email address of their company rep I was dealing with. Also did Factory Reset before turning over the car to buyer.

It worked without issue for both times REMOVING the cars from my account.
You did the right thing. I learned the hard way. On the first page of the delete it asks for name and email address. Even though you can check "skip this step" and move on, it will not work unless there's some name and email in there. There is another option where you can check 3rd party which is what you're really supposed to do with a dealer trade and it will accept that. You will know you've been successful IF you get an email verifying that you deleted the car. Of course, if you've never done it before you wouldn't know to expect that email. So hopefully, my having had this problem helps someone else.

This is user error though it still makes for a good warning as this happens more often than we assume. The process needs a new owner to transfer the vehicle to in the app. W/o that due to Tesla's hands free SUC, if it's ever charged costs fall back to last owner of record. You have to use make sure this part is part of the transfer process, get whatever name/email of the dealer. This is the part that separates your car from you.