Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of this Scumbag PHEV driver, Richmond, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning the Tesla Model 3 for a couple of weeks now, the one feature that really shined was the Sentry Mode.

So after making a couple of loops around the parking lot, found a ChargePoint parking spot. Parked the car, plugged it in and walked off the lot.

As I walked off the lot, got a notification indicating my charging got interrupted after a couple of minutes. Found it kind of fishy so I walked back and to my surprise there was a Prius Prime parked in a regular spot behind me, unplugged my car and plugged it into his, all caught on camera too.

Attachments

• IMG_20190923_150004.jpg
    IMG_20190923_150004.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 92
Ok.. here's a what would you do question:
I was at a CHADEMO charging station recently where only one of two charging stations were working. (Note: I was using the J1772 plug beside it)
There was a Tesla M3 plugged into the one working station and it showed 80% charge.
A woman was sitting in the non-working spot and was trying to figure out what to do. She'd been waiting 20 minutes for the M3 owner but no one had shown up. She asked me if I knew what the protocol was. She's a medical worker and was on call and her EV was really low. She had barely enough charge to get home but definitely not enough to get to the hospital of she was called in. Even if she got home it would have taken her a while to get to the point where she had enough to get in to work. She really needed the fast charger.

So what would the right protocol have been (beyond the fact she had planned badly)? Should she have just continued to wait of should she had tried unplugging the M3?

I was at a CHADEMO charging station recently where only one of two charging stations were working. (Note: I was using the J1772 plug beside it)
There was a Tesla M3 plugged into the one working station and it showed 80% charge.
A woman was sitting in the non-working spot and was trying to figure out what to do. She'd been waiting 20 minutes for the M3 owner but no one had shown up. She asked me if I knew what the protocol was. She's a medical worker and was on call and her EV was really low. She had barely enough charge to get home but definitely not enough to get to the hospital of she was called in. Even if she got home it would have taken her a while to get to the point where she had enough to get in to work. She really needed the fast charger.

So what would the right protocol have been (beyond the fact she had planned badly)? Should she have just continued to wait of should she had tried unplugging the M3?

This example illustrates one of the differences between gas lines and EV charging lines. Gas lines move and people don't leave their cars while filling. Sometimes they leave their cars at the pump while going inside, but not when others are waiting. Lines at EV chargers can be for hours and if someone walks away while charging you have no idea when they will return.

At least EV chargers don't smell like gas and oil fumes.

After owning the Tesla Model 3 for a couple of weeks now, the one feature that really shined was the Sentry Mode.

So after making a couple of loops around the parking lot, found a ChargePoint parking spot. Parked the car, plugged it in and walked off the lot.

As I walked off the lot, got a notification indicating my charging got interrupted after a couple of minutes. Found it kind of fishy so I walked back and to my surprise there was a Prius Prime parked in a regular spot behind me, unplugged my car and plugged it into his, all caught on camera too.

This has happened to me and I was upset, but then after some research I mellowed some.

Other EVs have blinky lights if the car is charging, but Tesla opted to have the indicator lights go off after a short time so as to not attract attention. If driver's of other EV brands are unfamiliar with this difference, they think the Tesla is not charging and it is acceptable to remove the cable.

It IS particularly annoying when it is a PHEV, who probably shouldn't be charging in public places at all, but at least I understand now.

Hanlon's razor -- Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Unplug the Tesla and plug in the other EV. No hesitation what so ever.

This has happened to me and I was upset, but then after some research I mellowed some.

Other EVs have blinky lights if the car is charging, but Tesla opted to have the indicator lights go off after a short time so as to not attract attention. If driver's of other EV brands are unfamiliar with this difference, they think the Tesla is not charging and it is acceptable to remove the cable.

It IS particularly annoying when it is a PHEV, who probably shouldn't be charging in public places at all, but at least I understand now.

Hanlon's razor -- Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

The Green T blinks/pulses if the car is charging. The guy is a ****.

How was he even able to unplug the cable from your car to begin with? On the Model S, once you walk away and the car locks, you can't "simply" unplug the cable without breaking something. Is the cable on the 3 not "locked" in when the car is locked?