Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of this Scumbag PHEV driver, Richmond, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How was he even able to unplug the cable from your car to begin with? On the Model S, once you walk away and the car locks, you can't "simply" unplug the cable without breaking something. Is the cable on the 3 not "locked" in when the car is locked?

At least when it comes to the 3, Tesla superchargers and Tesla mobile charger/HPWC will lock, standard J1772 level 2 chargers will not lock with the car.

Edit: Well the adapter will lock into the car, but the J1772 can be removed from the adapter which will remain locked in the charge port

Did either one of you really need it that badly? Or were you both fighting over"free electricity"

I so hate to believe both of you were going after free electricity when there could have been some vehicles that really needed it

Great point. I was plugged into a free J1772 charger at a local shopping mall when two women pulled up in a Fiat 500e EV looking VERY stressed out. I got out of my Model S P85D and asked if they needed a charge and they showed me they were almost completely empty... so I disconnected so they could de-stress and recharge ASAP. Great feeling helping someone less "fortunate".

I do the same when I'm Supercharging and see another Tesla owner waiting... and I have enough charge to get to my destimation even though I have FREE Supercharging for life in our 2015 Model S P85D. IMHO it is better to Pay It Forward to let another Tesla owner charge who needs it get to their destination that "assert my right to free Supercharging" which usually only equates to a few dollars. This simple act of kindness will also insure Tesla's survival vs. the TeslASSHOLES who Supercharge locally to 90%+ "because they can" (i.e. entitlement). C'mon people, put the shoe on the other foot. Until Tesla is able to build out enough chargers that wait lines are almost non-existent we've got to help each other out. Think TEAM TESLA not ME

Did either one of you really need it that badly? Or were you both fighting over"free electricity"

I so hate to believe both of you were going after free electricity when there could have been some vehicles that really needed it

I wasn't fighting for anything as I found the parking spot first. Prior to that it was a Volvo PHEV SUV that was occupying that spot in which I waited patiently.

As I walked away from the car, I saw the Prius Prime pulling into the lot and saw I was parked in the designated charging spot. Didn't think much of it until my phone notified me my charging got interrupted.

Technically speaking. The Prius had more need as their battery was likely more depleted (plus a tank of gas). Hard to feel sorry for the Prius though for such behavior. What if the OP needed the charge to reach his destination later in the day/evening?

EV etiquette/rules are there so society can function. Otherwise, if everyone's going to fight over chargers and go around unplugging each other - it'd turn new EV converts back into gas guzzlers

Ok.. here's a what would you do question:
I was at a CHADEMO charging station recently where only one of two charging stations were working. (Note: I was using the J1772 plug beside it)
There was a Tesla M3 plugged into the one working station and it showed 80% charge.
A woman was sitting in the non-working spot and was trying to figure out what to do. She'd been waiting 20 minutes for the M3 owner but no one had shown up. She asked me if I knew what the protocol was. She's a medical worker and was on call and her EV was really low. She had barely enough charge to get home but definitely not enough to get to the hospital of she was called in. Even if she got home it would have taken her a while to get to the point where she had enough to get in to work. She really needed the fast charger.

So what would the right protocol have been (beyond the fact she had planned badly)? Should she have just continued to wait of should she had tried unplugging the M3?
I would have considered how to best politely explain the personal responsibility to provide for one's own travel needs, and the follies of relying on publicly shared infrastructure to do so.

• Disagree
Reactions: thesteve

:
"Hey, OP, are you a douchebag?"

It doesn't matter whether the OP is a douchebag, whoever unplugged the OP's car is a douchebag.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ludalicious
So if someone else makes their own personal determination about my needs, then that justifies deciding they are more entitled to shared infrastructure?

The guy clearly goes out of camera presumably to see what charge level the car was at. If it’s free infrastructure I think over 80% is a valid reason to unplug and use if in dire need. I don’t see why anyone would disagree with that (Perhaps a douche)

• Disagree
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
The guy clearly goes out of camera presumably to see what charge level the car was at. If it’s free infrastructure I think over 80% is a valid reason to unplug and use if in dire need. I don’t see why anyone would disagree with that (Perhaps a douche)

Yeah except he's in a plug in hybrid with a limited electric range not an old leaf or other small battery EV. So dire need would be that he's out of gas and could just go to a gas station.

The guy clearly goes out of camera presumably to see what charge level the car was at. If it’s free infrastructure I think over 80% is a valid reason to unplug and use if in dire need. I don’t see why anyone would disagree with that

And if the person needs 90% to get to their next destination? Depending on vehicle, and conditions that may not be that far. But regardless, the person has no idea wha the other person's needs are.

(Perhaps a douche)
Ah... given, that I clearly disagreed with your post, your passive/agressive insult demonstrates your mindset on this.

Reactions: TrevTremaine

When you see a stranger's car plugged in, you don't know why they want to charge there or how much or what they are going to do afterwards.

It's really easy: you don't unplug people unless you know _for certain_ that it is OK to unplug their car, by _written_ rules of the charger (e.g. max charging time), or by information provided by the vehicle owner.

And if the person needs 90% to get to their next destination? Depending on vehicle, and conditions that may not be that far. But regardless, the person has no idea wha the other person's needs are.

If you expect to get to 90% by waiting hours for a charge that’s pretty irresponsible to others requiring it. If you really require that you should be using a faster charger or you should probably wait around your car as to not inconvenience others by having it trickle charge at the end

If you expect to get to 90% by waiting hours for a charge that’s pretty irresponsible to others requiring it. If you really require that you should be using a faster charger or you should probably wait around your car as to not inconvenience others by having it trickle charge at the end

Just as frustrating are the Tesla owners who get the BUSY "Supercharging is almost complete warning" notification on their Tesla app then use their app to raise their charge level to 100% (but don't NEED 100%) so they can shop / eat / watch a movie instead of going back to their Supercharger and moving their Tesla to a regular parking spot and let another Tesla owner use the Supercharger their "hogging". Definitely CHARGEholes who put themselves above others since they're definitely NOT thinking of anyone but themselves.

Oh and the Tesla Supercharger line "jumpers" who drive right past a line to take a Supercharger that just vacated...

Think TEAM TESLA not ME

The whole (great) thing about destination charging is that you _don't_ wait around. You go off and do something else, and your car charges while you're doing that thing.

You don't know why the driver is there.
You don't know for how long.
You don't know where they are traveling afterwards.
You don't know whether they can use fast charging. (Including a Tesla).

[
Technically speaking. The Prius had more need as their battery was likely more depleted (plus a tank of gas).

The Prius is a plugin-hybrid, he can go fill gas into his car! That prius only has a range of 20'ish km.
The owner of the car didn't even bother to see the charge level of the M3 first, he just unplugged. How can anyone excuse what this douchebag did is beyond me!

The solution is to end free charging. L2 charging should cost perhaps 10% more than home charging and that would keep the freeloaders from hogging them. I'm betting in that scenario the Prius Prime owner would not have unplugged the OP, and there's a good chance the OP would not have been plugged in in the first place.