Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of this Scumbag PHEV driver, Richmond, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great point. I was plugged into a free J1772 charger at a local shopping mall when two women pulled up in a Fiat 500e EV looking VERY stressed out. I got out of my Model S P85D and asked if they needed a charge and they showed me they were almost completely empty... so I disconnected so they could de-stress and recharge ASAP. Great feeling helping someone less "fortunate".

I am with you on that. With my Volt, I was unplugging myself to let Leafs get their charge. In any case, I have my gas backup although I hate to drive on gas.

BUT no matter what, you can't just unplug someone's car simply because you need it. Unless you have permission from the owner to do so. When I was parking overnight at the hotels I was leaving the note on the PlugShare app that anyone in need can unplug me.

Reactions: scaesare
Only Tesla owner who deserved to be unplugged was the chargeHOLE who drove right past 3 Teslas in line at San Clemente to grab a Supercharger stall that just got vacated. We asked him what he was thinking and he said "You were too slow"... and his wife / girlfriend told us to F-OFF.

Definitely deserved to have his charge button pushed stopping his Supercharger session... REPEATEDLY since the San Clemente Outlet Stores are a good 5 minutes walk from the Superchargers

If you expect to get to 90% by waiting hours for a charge that’s pretty irresponsible to others requiring it. If you really require that you should be using a faster charger or you should probably wait around your car as to not inconvenience others by having it trickle charge at the end
My car can pull more than most public level 2 chargers can provide from 80-90%. So can the Model 3 in that video.

So we're back to your value judgement about who's needs are more important.

How was he even able to unplug the cable from your car to begin with? On the Model S, once you walk away and the car locks, you can't "simply" unplug the cable without breaking something. Is the cable on the 3 not "locked" in when the car is locked?

The Tesla adapter locks to the car, but I don't think the J1772 connector locks to the adapter.

Reactions: hingisfan
Just as frustrating are the Tesla owners who get the BUSY "Supercharging is almost complete warning" notification on their Tesla app then use their app to raise their charge level to 100% (but don't NEED 100%) so they can shop / eat / watch a movie instead of going back to their Supercharger and moving their Tesla to a regular parking spot and let another Tesla owner use the Supercharger their "hogging". Definitely CHARGEholes who put themselves above others since they're definitely NOT thinking of anyone but themselves.

You mean so they can pay the check without running out at the end of a meal looking like they are skipping on the tab? Yes, I have done this many times. I'd rather not charge past 90% myself, but 92% once in a while isn't going to kill my battery, at least according to Elon. It's also not going to hurt anyone else to wait the extra 4 minutes.

How about we ask Tesla to give us a more accurate estimate of end of charge. When the time only changes in 5 minute intervals and it was just 10 minutes, now it's 5, does that mean I have 5 minutes, or just under 10 or 7.5???

It's just weird how people all want to make their own rules about how precious charging resources are or aren't and apply the same rules everywhere regardless of local conditions. The real issue is EV charging needs to be as accessible as gas stations are to ICE. That's not your fault or mine. Come'on Tesla. Get on the stick!

We went to my mother in law's the other day, had to be a quick trip for various reasons so I was a little stressed out about keeping the charge as full as I could. Plugging in at her home wouldn't have netted enough of a charge to do what I needed but luckily she lives within a block of a pretty decent level 2 charger. She had driven by recently and said there was a car sitting at the charger for most of the day. I drive over to it, and sure enough, there is a Smart EV sitting in the charging space. I look at the charger and it's not running, hit the on button and it turns right off, so I go and look at the Smart car and I can see on the cluster that it's got 100%. Check plug share, no check-in. To the right of the car are 4 handicap spaces and to the left is the entrance to the parking lot. Luckily it was a weekend and the charging cable was plenty long so I backed up were I shouldn't have beside the entrance, unplugged the smart and plugged mine in. I come back 3 hours later about 1030pm to unplug and bring the car home, I didn't want to be a dick and leave it plugged in overnight and the smart car is STILL sitting in the parking space so I left an angry note on their windshield about how they need to be more considerate. I'm pretty sure those smarts only take something like 12 or 13 hours to get a full charge on a level 1 plug and a couple of hours on a level 2.

I'd expect more out of an EV owner. The most frustrating part of this is that most people (like my wife) probably would be too shy or embarrassed to unplug someone else even if they are full. Now I worry that if she ever had to take this trip by herself and actually needed to use that charger, she'd have to contend with this chargehog a-hole.

[

The Prius is a plugin-hybrid, he can go fill gas into his car! That prius only has a range of 20'ish km.
The owner of the car didn't even bother to see the charge level of the M3 first, he just unplugged. How can anyone excuse what this douchebag did is beyond me!

Just because the car can be filled with gas doesn't mean he needs to; maybe he's looking to use most of that EV portion so as to save the environment. Look I already said the guy seems like a douchebag but we don't know the entire story, like what % the OP was at, the passenger side view when the guy goes out of view (is he looking into the car charge level?), is he almost out of gas + electricity and needs this badly? Yes he can go to a gas station because there's many, but once again doesn't mean he should for environmental reasons. Unfortunately the rules of charging are still not exactly clear cut yet, and with limited charging options things like this are more likely to happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: scaesare
At least when it comes to the 3, Tesla superchargers and Tesla mobile charger/HPWC will lock, standard J1772 level 2 chargers will not lock with the car.

Edit: Well the adapter will lock into the car, but the J1772 can be removed from the adapter which will remain locked in the charge port

well at least for the mobile charger, you can actually click once on the button of the charger and that will unlock. Anyhow, irrelvant to the post =P

We went to my mother in law's the other day, had to be a quick trip for various reasons so I was a little stressed out about keeping the charge as full as I could. Plugging in at her home wouldn't have netted enough of a charge to do what I needed but luckily she lives within a block of a pretty decent level 2 charger. She had driven by recently and said there was a car sitting at the charger for most of the day. I drive over to it, and sure enough, there is a Smart EV sitting in the charging space. I look at the charger and it's not running, hit the on button and it turns right off, so I go and look at the Smart car and I can see on the cluster that it's got 100%. Check plug share, no check-in. To the right of the car are 4 handicap spaces and to the left is the entrance to the parking lot. Luckily it was a weekend and the charging cable was plenty long so I backed up were I shouldn't have beside the entrance, unplugged the smart and plugged mine in. I come back 3 hours later about 1030pm to unplug and bring the car home, I didn't want to be a dick and leave it plugged in overnight and the smart car is STILL sitting in the parking space so I left an angry note on their windshield about how they need to be more considerate. I'm pretty sure those smarts only take something like 12 or 13 hours to get a full charge on a level 1 plug and a couple of hours on a level 2.

I'd expect more out of an EV owner. The most frustrating part of this is that most people (like my wife) probably would be too shy or embarrassed to unplug someone else even if they are full. Now I worry that if she ever had to take this trip by herself and actually needed to use that charger, she'd have to contend with this chargehog a-hole.

I sometimes charge at the local hospital which has five chargers on two levels of the parking deck. They aren't fast, 30 amps (maybe) on 208 volts, so 6 kW, still, better than 120 volts. I noticed a Xerox of some charging info laying on the concrete shelf behind the car and pick it up to read once I get inside. It was some info on charging courtesy that someone left on a car and had a hand written reply. I forget what it said, but the guy who likely got this under his wiper was not very happy. lol

When I've used these chargers I get the impression not many charge all day. So I'm guessing there is an informal policy of using it half the day and moving at lunch for others to charge. Only 5 spots for an entire hospital staff doesn't seem like a lot. Lots of times it has Teslas, but there are also other vehicles there as well. They aren't always full but there have been times when I couldn't get a charge. Hopefully the new Superchargers will be finished and level 2 charging won't be needed by Tesla owners. Then it will be the issue of having enough time to get a meal while hitting the charger rather than just killing time.