TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Beware of time limited parking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by apacheguy, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I always use Waze no matter where I go. In the Waze website you can see the time and path you've been. Wonder if that is a good enough prove though.

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

In Portland the rules are that you can't park in that "block face" for more than the designated time frame, even if you move and come back:

Overtime:

Leave the blockface when the time limit of a short-term meter is over. A short-term meter has a time limit of less than 4 hours. Also see Re-parking below.

Re-parking:

At a short-term meter (less than 4 hours), do not return sooner than 3 hours to the same blockface.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

#23 apacheguy, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    @MP3Mike - I see what you are saying and I think they would probably have me if I parked on the same block face. However, I parked on the opposite side of the street. Hence a different block altogether.

Elon said that Tesla does not store speed or location specifically to provide them with an excuse if requested by law enforcement.

Starting at 9:00

4. kort677

kort677 Banned

the fact that governmental enforcement of parking regulations is almost universal is true but here in the US the burden of proof is on the government. if the claims the OP made, that he did not occupy the parking spot over the limit, then it is up to enforcement agency to prove their case that he did occupy the spot over the time limit or there is no case.
    I don't know the specifics of the UK laws but I surely wouldn't be making any sort of caustic remarks unless I knew all the facts.

5. Max*

Max* Charging

I'm not sure how true that is. I had something similar happen (claim that I parked too long in a 2 hour time limit in DC). I contested it via snail mail, and they replied telling me too bad (I don't remember the language, something that I don't have proof that I did what I claim I did, thus I'm wrong and still need to pay).

It was a $25 ticket, I just paid it, it didn't make sense going down to the courthouse and fighting in person.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I see the Meter witch here taking pictures of the cars violation to prove to the court the time and location of the violation.

7. kort677

kort677 Banned

so you caved in. that's what they count on.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Except that doesn't prove anything unless there is a paid parking meter that is expired. If they have the ability to review photos taken by the automated license plate recorders, they would see that my car was parked in two completely distinct locations between reads.

9. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

... and at your girlfriend's house in between...

ALPs are evil.

10. Max*

Max* Charging

Of course I caved.

It's $25, lol. I'd have to take time off from work, drive for an hour each way, put ~40 miles on my car, over.... $25.

• Like x 1
  11. kort677

kort677 Banned

this is true and this is why our rights are devolving right before our eyes

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I have had parking tickets dismissed before by writing to the court.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

They do the same thing in busy areas around here. Seems like our signs are a bit more clear, though. We have colored zones, so if you're staying longer than the allotted time you need to move the vehicle to a different color zone. You get the allotted time per zone per day. If you move your car but stay in the same zone and exceed the time limit, you'll get a ticket.

Somehow they fit that on the sign, though I can't recall the wording.

• Informative x 1
  14. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Yeah, definitely no color coded signs in Pasadena.

15. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

If you used a logging service like TeslaFi, you could produce your driving logs as evidence.

16. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Would never be accepted in court. It is easily susceptible to modification by the user. I have my own logging app anyway that I coded.