Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of time limited parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Portland the rules are that you can't park in that "block face" for more than the designated time frame, even if you move and come back:

Overtime:

Leave the blockface when the time limit of a short-term meter is over. A short-term meter has a time limit of less than 4 hours. Also see Re-parking below.

Re-parking:

At a short-term meter (less than 4 hours), do not return sooner than 3 hours to the same blockface.

@MP3Mike - I see what you are saying and I think they would probably have me if I parked on the same block face. However, I parked on the opposite side of the street. Hence a different block altogether.

Can telsa just pull the logs? They know where the car is at all times and that would prove it changed location - just a thought

Elon said that Tesla does not store speed or location specifically to provide them with an excuse if requested by law enforcement.

Starting at 9:00

Last edited:
Thank you Sherlock Holmes for that amazing insight.

Interestingly, fining people for parking outside of regulations seems to be a global phenomenon.
the fact that governmental enforcement of parking regulations is almost universal is true but here in the US the burden of proof is on the government. if the claims the OP made, that he did not occupy the parking spot over the limit, then it is up to enforcement agency to prove their case that he did occupy the spot over the time limit or there is no case.
I don't know the specifics of the UK laws but I surely wouldn't be making any sort of caustic remarks unless I knew all the facts.

the fact that governmental enforcement of parking regulations is almost universal is true but here in the US the burden of proof is on the government. if the claims the OP made, that he did not occupy the parking spot over the limit, then it is up to enforcement agency to prove their case that he did occupy the spot over the time limit or there is no case.
I don't know the specifics of the UK laws but I surely wouldn't be making any sort of caustic remarks unless I knew all the facts.
I'm not sure how true that is. I had something similar happen (claim that I parked too long in a 2 hour time limit in DC). I contested it via snail mail, and they replied telling me too bad (I don't remember the language, something that I don't have proof that I did what I claim I did, thus I'm wrong and still need to pay).

It was a $25 ticket, I just paid it, it didn't make sense going down to the courthouse and fighting in person.

I'm not sure how true that is. I had something similar happen (claim that I parked too long in a 2 hour time limit in DC). I contested it via snail mail, and they replied telling me too bad (I don't remember the language, something that I don't have proof that I did what I claim I did, thus I'm wrong and still need to pay).

It was a $25 ticket, I just paid it, it didn't make sense going down to the courthouse and fighting in person.
so you caved in. that's what they count on.

I see the Meter witch here taking pictures of the cars violation to prove to the court the time and location of the violation.

Except that doesn't prove anything unless there is a paid parking meter that is expired. If they have the ability to review photos taken by the automated license plate recorders, they would see that my car was parked in two completely distinct locations between reads.

Except that doesn't prove anything unless there is a paid parking meter that is expired. If they have the ability to review photos taken by the automated license plate recorders, they would see that my car was parked in two completely distinct locations between reads.
... and at your girlfriend's house in between...

ALPs are evil.

They do the same thing in busy areas around here. Seems like our signs are a bit more clear, though. We have colored zones, so if you're staying longer than the allotted time you need to move the vehicle to a different color zone. You get the allotted time per zone per day. If you move your car but stay in the same zone and exceed the time limit, you'll get a ticket.

Somehow they fit that on the sign, though I can't recall the wording.

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
Parked in a 2 hour restricted area this morning. Returned to the car after 1.5 hours and drove to my local gym. After leaving the gym, I had to briefly return to my prior location. I parked on the same street but opposite side of the street and left the car. After returning 30 mins later I had a parking ticket waiting for me! For violating the 2 hour maximum time limit. WTF?
If you used a logging service like TeslaFi, you could produce your driving logs as evidence.