TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Beware of your home Wi-Fi goes out

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Ramona48, Aug 15, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

1. Ramona48

Ramona48 Member

My Wi-Fi that my M3 LR is connected to went out a little over a week ago. I did not know it for 4 days then got it up and running again. I think it went out when we had a thunder storm. Anyway since then my 2019.24.4 has not been updated even though I turned on the early software update on my screen. Tesla says they no nothing about my next update will be. MY POINT is be sure to check your home Wi-Fi that is attached to your Tesl a at least every couple of days. It would save a lot of grief

• Disagree x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

"Grief" in that your car still works fine and nothing is wrong, you just didn't immediately get the latest update even though you flipped a switch that has not demonstrated any results.

• Like x 11
  3. groovidad

groovidad Living the Dream!

#3 groovidad, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:59 PM
    I’m curious as to “why” it took “4 days” to realize your WiFi was down? I know immediately when it’s down because my home security, phones, Smart TV’s, Sonos speakers, iPads, computers, HVAC, PV system, Power Wall and sprinkler system all rely on WiFi, not to mention, my 3? Granted, you may not be connected as I am but, surely something other than missing an “update” would have alerted you sooner(?)
    EDIT: God help us if we completely lose connectivity!

• Like x 2
  4. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

I have a Check list I got through when I get home and park, one is checking the WiFi, ensure it’s on 2.4Ghz, turning A/C off etc.

Fred

5. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Good grief, grief????

I sold my home and living in a building now with no WiFi access in the parking deck. It CLEARLY tells you when an update is available and you need to connect to WiFi and avoids all "grief".

IMG_0633.jpeg

• Like x 3
  6. edigest

edigest Member

What, no Echo, Google Home, Nest or Phillips lights? :D

• Funny x 2
  7. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

yup, wondering the same thing. I also know immediately if there is a problem, even if I am out of the USA. And I guess failure depends on how reliable the router is. I can only think of one time in 4 years that the wifi ever stopped and that was due to a power outage :D

8. T-Mom

T-Mom Member

im just dumb about this. what grief am i missing. my car still runs and i dont care about a new update in the 3 seconds a new update becomes available. what am i misunderstanding?:confused:

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

I turn my wifi off every night. Saves(?) a few pennies of electricity, and i'm guaranteed not to be hacked while I sleep.

I'm ok with waiting until tomorrow for an update.

10. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Literally pennies — the average Wi-Fi router uses less than $0.50/month in electricity. Your Wi-Fi is also a highly unlikely threat vector for hacking, and you can secure it simply by using a modestly strong password — social engineering or a man-in-the-middle attack on an unsecured network are far more likely avenues of attack.

You might actually be using more power in aggregate. The cellular devices in your household (at a minimum your phone and car) prefer Wi-Fi because it's both faster and more power efficient than using the LTE radios. When you turn off the Wi-Fi router, these devices switch over to cellular for their ongoing connections and use more power, and thus require a higher recharge.

It's not worth your time or effort or concern to turn off the Wi-Fi router every night.

• Like x 1
  11. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

And exactly how do you know how much time/effort it requires to turn off my wifi? (Hint: it's a light switch in the den.)

12. groovidad

groovidad Living the Dream!

Yeah, I didn’t want to give the impression I was too “plugged-in”. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1