Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware Roadster #1126 Valley Auto Maxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I was noticing this "too good to be true" listing on Carfax:
5YJRE1A16A1001126 | 2010 Tesla Roadster for sale in Spokane Valley, WA
  • Price: $48,700
  • Mileage: 2,119
  • Engine: Electric
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Drive Type: RWD
  • Fuel Type: Electric
  • MPG City/Hwy: N/A
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior Color: N/A
  • VIN: 5YJRE1A16A1001126
  • Stock #: VAM095
2010 Tesla Roadster | Valley Auto Maxx

It appears that all of the pictures are a careful "photoshop" manipulation of the #1160 listing from here:
2010 Tesla Roadster Dallas, Texas | Starwood Motors

• Informative
Reactions: hmmm and wiztecy
ICON_53B3C4-83F401-40C57E-F8CEAB-E41448-326CD9.jpg

SQ_800.jpg

Domain Name: AUTOMAXXVALLEY.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2091807350_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2017-01-20T16:52:16.00Z
Creation Date: 2017-01-21T00:52:00.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-01-21T00:52:00.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: VALLEY AUTO MAXX VALLEY AUTO MAXX
Registrant Organization: VALLEY AUTO MAXX
Registrant Street: 14225 E SPRAGUE AVE
Registrant City: WA
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 99216
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.5092520760
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: MICHAEL WEBER
Admin Organization: ANONYMOUSSPEECH
Admin Street: 1-3-3 SAKURA HOUSE
Admin City: TOKYO
Admin State/Province: TOKYO
Admin Postal Code: 169-0072
Admin Country: JP
Admin Phone: +81.09037462746
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +81.09037462746
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: MICHAEL WEBER
Tech Organization: ANONYMOUSSPEECH
Tech Street: 1-3-3 SAKURA HOUSE
Tech City: TOKYO
Tech State/Province: TOKYO
Tech Postal Code: 169-0072
Tech Country: JP
Tech Phone: +81.09037462746
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +81.09037462746
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
Yep! @Roadster and I were just discussing this monstrosity. I found it hilarious that they didn't even use the correct VIN and the real one had 47,000+ miles before it sold.

Even worse, ALL of the cars on there have been directly ripped from Starwood Motors' site. They're geniuses at expertly photoshopping out the Starwood logo in every photo.

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Thx for the governance and vigilance with these fakes, @TEG. Looks like two others just popped up on AutoTrader y/day as well and both were previously discussed:

AutoTrader ad: Used 2011 Tesla Roadster
Being sold by "Central Auto & Repair (CAR)" in Des Moines, IA
B.K.A. #1351 which sold on eBay back in Dec '16.

AutoTrader ad: Used 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport
Being sold by "Roberts Auto Services" in Latham, NY
B.K.A. #801 which @moezilla is selling here on TMC.

Last edited:
Fake car listings seem to be 'tip of the iceberg' compared to other things like fake/decoy online banking sites, etc
Thanks TEG. Agreed, the level of online fraud is staggering. You really have to be careful and examine the URL to make sure you are where you think you are whenever you are engaging in any kind of financial transaction.

And carfax.com and cars.com and autotrader.com are full of bogus listings.

I can see that the fake listings are getting better and better (e.g., harder to tell it isn't real), so they must be making money at this stuff. When they post a fake listing, they go to great lengths to put bread crumbs on other sites that make it look like a background check confirms everything.

If you notice two different versions of a web site for a small dealer with different telephone numbers, be suspicious.

Getting a phone number in a certain area code is easy these days. I am not even sure what laws they are breaking other than "false advertising"... But if they are run out of the country, I don't think you would have any luck getting the attention of the authorities.

The chances seem small that a little local roadside use car dealer would end up with a Roadster for sale.

For internet security people, lot of questionable stuff hosted there:
Steeldns Com - websites list on this host (Steeldns.com, 2017 year)

Bnk-onliine : Index of /
Index of /

(I don't recommend you click on links on those sites unless you know what you are doing.)

Fake car listings seem to be 'tip of the iceberg' compared to other things like fake/decoy online banking sites, etc.
What is the end game on these? Do they get victims to wire a deposit "to hold the car" until you can actually see it? Surely, no one is going to send tens of thousands for a purchase sight-unseen.

I don't know for sure, but I think the usual things is to request a "deposit to hold" that you never get back.
Like "we have someone else coming to see the car, but if you wire us $500, we will hold it for you."
Stuff like that I imagine.

When I bought my Roadster, it was from a relatively small used-car dealership (in New York state).

I did everything people here talked about...called them up, discussed the car, gave them a deposit (over the phone), and then flew up later in the week to check out the car.

Now, it was a legitimate dealership, and a legitimate car but, the transaction(s) happened just like you're talking about these scams happening.