Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware SMETS2 meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meter change tomorrow 08:00. I'm hoping it is another L&G meter as it took ages to find out how to pull data from the E470. I assume switching manufacturer will push me back to square one on that front.
Has anyone already had an Octopus meter replacement and knows which one they are replacing the E470 with?

Mine was changed yesterday.

Replaced with a Kaifa MA120 meter.

The installer said he was solely fitting replacement meters for Powerwall owners.

I wasn't suffering from phantom grid draw but my L&G meter was reporting a constant export to the grid (150-250 W/Hours).
This was being recorded on the meter and I was receiving SEG monies for it.

With the new meter and new IHD fitted, this export has gone away.

Full marks to Octopus for sorting out.

Yup Kaifa MA120 arrived yesterday. The display implies that it also functions as a CAD but after send an enquiry to Chameleon Technology it appears that enabling wi-fi just uploads your usage data to their cloud to use as they like. So now the search is on for a SMETS2 CAD that can be configured to write data locally, like to an MQTT broker. ...unlike the chocolate fireguard you get free with the meter.

peace.png

After the faulty L&G smart meter was replaced my half hour readings are showing 0 kWh import instead of a steady 0.03kWh / 30 minutes
One very happy customer (of Tesla and Octopus). Octopus have offered a compensation package which is slightly higher than I had calculated so the excess will go to charity.

That is very reassuring as I have had the same behaviour on my existing meter. My new meter is being installed later this month.

I got the details of the compensation scheme yesterday and felt it was a very sensible and reasonable solution.. Again, well done Octopus

After the faulty L&G smart meter was replaced my half hour readings are showing 0 kWh import instead of a steady 0.03kWh / 30 minutes
One very happy customer (of Tesla and Octopus). Octopus have offered a compensation package which is slightly higher than I had calculated so the excess will go to charity.
Those zero values suggests that my old SMETS1 meter which averages about 0.2kWh import per 1/2 hour time slot (unless exporting) isn't completely accurate.

I had my L+G E470 100mm meter exchanged on 30th Nov and like everyone else a Kaifa MA120 fitted. Has resolved my phantom grid draw, first time I've ever seen 0w from the In House Display whilst on 100% battery power. Now just waiting for the compensation. Meter had already connected to Octopus and viewable on my online account after a couple of days. Very pleased to get this resolved after 18 months or raising it as a problem.

My meter was swapped out on Friday - Kaifa MA120 installed. Engineer reporting that he had been working away from home for a month just doing replacements. What an expensive fault this is proving to be for someone!

Apparently, it will take a couple of weeks to be commissioned centrally and then my new IHD should show things accurately.

I think there may be a real elephant in the room here. It';s likely that hundreds of thousands of smart meters are incorrectly programmed. That would explain why there have been a lot of complaints about increased bills with smarty meters. In increase of say 0.2kWh due to reactive power metering would not be obvious, lost in the general baseline house demand. it's only because with a home battery there should be nearly zero demand when it's powering the house that it has become obvious.
“When the tide goes out, you can see who’s been skinny-dipping!” (nude bathing)

On a side note, has anyone submitted export readings since their Kaifa meter has been installed?
I found this:

London Power
The display scrolls through import - export - time - date.

I wanted to confirm if the 'export' is actually the total export figure?
Its the -A value, where import is +A value

Bulb energy hadn't come across this meter yet, so couldn't offer advice on reading total export

My export (or A-) was only 7KW Hours since the meters install on the 11th November. This is probably correct, as I am unlikely to have exported much over the last couple of months.

Anyone else confirm that A- is the total export?

On a side note, has anyone submitted export readings since their Kaifa meter has been installed?
I found this:

London Power
The display scrolls through import - export - time - date.

I wanted to confirm if the 'export' is actually the total export figure?
Its the -A value, where import is +A value

Bulb energy hadn't come across this meter yet, so couldn't offer advice on reading total export

My export (or A-) was only 7KW Hours since the meters install on the 11th November. This is probably correct, as I am unlikely to have exported much over the last couple of months.

Anyone else confirm that A- is the total export?

Yes, that is how it works. My Octopus bill today shows an export meter reading that matches A-.

My experience with Octopus has been much different. Astonishingly, they installed a Landis & Gyr E470 100mm on 30th November last year!

Whilst I was unaware of the meter incompatibility issue, I had previously asked them whether they had any issues with Tesla Powerwall. I also advised them, as part of my Outgoing Octopus application, that I was having a Tesla Powerwall installed.

After the installation of my Powerwall, I noticed the differing grid readings on the In-House Display (IHD) and the Tesla app together with 100w-150w readings on the IHD when the Powerwall was charging or discharging.

Initially, Octopus were helpful and indicated that a replacement meter would be installed quickly. However, three undertakings to arrange an installation date were not fulfilled.

I am still waiting, over 5 weeks after my initial contact, for them to set a date.

Octopus now advised that the firm they use for meter installations has no Khaifa (sic) meters in stock.

Octopus installed my Landis & Gyr E470 2 days ago!! I have 2x powerwalls.
To be fair to Octopus, the installer said it was all over my account to make sure the meter was ok with Powerwalls and the installer said he’d confirmed with his boss about the meter he was installing.

Maybe Octopus should have just stated which meter to not install.

I await next steps.

An update on various points.

My electric smart meter now seems to be working in both directions. The readings in the Tesla App and the Octopus web reports match.

However, Octopus have told me that the IHD will not be able to show export and import.

They are still having a problem commissioning the Gas Meter. Someone came to read the meter, but did not know how to. He had to look it up on Google!