Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware SMETS2 meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 18 months, Telsa and Landis+Gyr, the meter manufacturers, have agreed a solution (single phase but the meters are dual single/ 3phase). My electricity supplier, EDF, have replaced my L&G E470 Type 5424 meter with the olderType 5394 version. Result Kama! I have to say that once an EDF man ager found the same problem they were really helpful. It's a problem of interaction between the meter and Gateway.The newer meters suffer intererence, the older ones don't. The L+G E470 Type 5394, shown below, works correctly with the gateway, the more recent Type 5424,shown second, adds 3kWh per day phantom consumption in my case. Octopus should know, they were in on the investigation.

Attachments

• L+G E470 Type 5394.jpeg
    L+G E470 Type 5394.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • L+G E470 Tyoe 5424.jpeg
    L+G E470 Tyoe 5424.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 157
I'm so pleased to have found this thread! We had our solar with Powerwall installed at the beginning of March and smart meter installed at beginning of April and I immediately noticed that the IHD was showing usage when we were 100% powered by the solar and/or battery. Bulb have been responsive so far, but now I have had an email saying

"Under some circumstances this type of meter may have an issues with the Tesla Powerwall

This may result in inaccurate utility meter readings, the impact varies but could be up to +/- 5kWh per day

Our solar team is working with both companies to get this issue resolved in the future

Unfortunately we do not have a solid timeframe so please bear with us"

I want to move to the Octopus Agile tariff, so interested to know how you've all got on with your suppliers in resolving the issue? I've suggested as there appears to be no solution apparent, changing the meter is the only sensible option!

I'm so pleased to have found this thread! We had our solar with Powerwall installed at the beginning of March and smart meter installed at beginning of April and I immediately noticed that the IHD was showing usage when we were 100% powered by the solar and/or battery. Bulb have been responsive so far, but now I have had an email saying

"Our solar team is working with both companies to get this issue resolved in the future"

I would send them a link to the discussion here which identifies a couple of meters which work OK with the Powerwall. They shouldn't be dithering but arranging a meter swap.

Hey all, it appears I might be a victim of this issue now. Had a 3-phase smart meter - EDMI ES-30B - fitted to 3-phase supply. Installer has just completed a 12kW solar and 3xPowerwall 2 setup and I've had the ability to monitor for a week or so.

I now observe phantom grid draw (as seen on the IHD, octopus billing and smart meter log) of around 250wH when the house is fully operational off the solar/powerwall 2s This, at current peak rates, works out at around £500 a year. Not ideal....

Information above is very useful and I've asked my installer to contact Tesla regarding the issue. However, in reading the specs of the meter - it is determined a commercial/industrial unit vs a domestic unit and the information states:

Measured Values
• Active energy import (Wh)
• Reactive energy import (varh)
• Active energy export (Wh)
• Reactive energy export (varh)

I wonder if, as it's setup or delivered from the manufacturer as an industrial unit, it's sending the Reactive energy import to Octopus vs Active energy import and therefore showing a delta against the Powerwall monitoring. Not sure if anyone else has one of these meters with a similar issue but I'll report back how I get on.

Might be as simple as altering what measured value goes back to Octopus - fingers crossed.
Follow-up to this post.

I've now had Tesla replace the Gateway 2 (which is a pain as all the original generation history now sits in a separate 'home' in my Tesla app) which didn't make any difference, and now have had my EDMI meter swapped for an Aclara 3-phase SMETS2 type and same issue persists!!!

Octopus and Tesla are looking back at the data but I know of at least 4 others with the exact same issue so appears on a 3-phase supply there still be problems to iron out. Or it could be that 3-phase is treated like industrial and the Reactive energy import is used vs active....

Will see where we go from here but it's frustrating to say the least!!

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
We had our TESLA Powerwall and Backup Gateway installed on 31 July 2023. Between 1 – 21 August we have been virtually self-sufficient with energy generated by a combination of our 3kW solar panels and the Tesla battery. According to the Tesla App, during this time we have generated 292.9 kWh (this is confirmed by our SMA Sunny Beam), 35% / 105.1 kWh used by home, 43% / 127.2 kWh to Powerwall and 22% / 60.6 kWh exported to the grid. During the same period, our supplier Octopus shows that we have used 123.62 kWh from the grid, around 5.8 kWh per day, this is about £1.70 at the current price cap, over £600 per year for energy we are not using. The Tesla app shows that we have used 10.7 kWh from the grid, which I believe to be accurate.

We have reported this to Tesla via our installers and to Octopus. Octopus asked for a picture of our meter as they want to check if the meter model has any faults raised that may relate to this issue. The meter is a Landis + Gyr E470 Type 5424 - we have heard nothing from Tesla and are waiting to hear further from Octopus.

I have attached some screenshots from the Octopus and Tesla apps for anyone who may be interested and, in the hope, can offer any advice or comments.

Thanks.
Keith.

Attachments

• 21_Aug_23_Solar.PNG
    21_Aug_23_Solar.PNG
    376.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 21_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    21_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    287.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    20_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    297.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 14_21_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    14_21_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    310.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 01_21_Solar_generation.PNG
    01_21_Solar_generation.PNG
    311.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 01_21_net_grid_usage.PNG
    01_21_net_grid_usage.PNG
    381.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 01_21_Battery.PNG
    01_21_Battery.PNG
    368.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 01_21_Aug_energy_flow.PNG
    01_21_Aug_energy_flow.PNG
    304.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 01_21_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    01_21_Aug_23_Octopus.PNG
    304 KB · Views: 54
Octopus Energy have now replied and have flagged that our brand of meter and the Powerwall are not compatible due to engineering defects, which is what is leading to this overconsumption. As such, they will need to get that meter replaced and I now have a date for that to happen.

Attachments

• Snart Meter.jpg
    Snart Meter.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 56
We recently moved to Octopus and put in a Powerwall. Octopus put in a new KAIFA MA120 SMETS2 meter in July.
Don't have the size of power draw issues that some above have, with a relatively constant ebb and flow of 3-10W across the bridge.

However, the one thing I have spotted is that when the wife is running her hairdryer, there's a constant pull of 150-200W from the grid. Soon as the hairdryer is off, that draw disappears. That power draw doesn't appear to show on the Tesla app.
It's the only device I've noticed that causes this, but continuing to investigate.