TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Beware the curbs and parking stops!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tomas, Mar 5, 2017.

1. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

The other day I pulled into a normal looking parking place. Jockeying backwards a bit, I heard a crunch/thunk. Front bumper cover had caught on parking stop and pulled out of the clips. Nose cone too. So it was all hanging down loosely a couple of inches. No visible scrapes, the bottom trim probably roughed up, but that happens a lot and is not visible. After inventing some new curse words, I set about pushing everything back onto clips. Mostly secure, but one edge not flush. Stopped by local service center, and they were kind enough to line up and secure all clips for me (without appointment). Whew. More kudos to Tesla service team. I've read lots of complaints here, but my experiences over 4 years at 3 service centers always above and beyond!

Lesson learned: never pull all the way to the front of a parking spot. I wonder how long I'll remember?

2. Haxster

Haxster Member

The MS is BIG and kind of low for slant parking curbs. I tend to pull forward to avoid sticking out in the back.

Yesterday, I almost had my first "incident" at a normal-height curb at a diagonal parking spot on the street. I thought that I had about a foot between the tire and the curb and that the bumper cover would be above the curb height. Wrong!

The bumper cover was about a quarter of an inch away from the curb and a good inch below it. I got lucky. Maybe I should have ordered the air suspension.

Here's a photo (you can see that other drivers weren't so lucky):
    IMG_5903.JPG

• Like x 1
  3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

When returning to your car get in the habit of doing a 360 degree inspection - there may be surprises.
    --

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

try backing in

5. BeesKnees

BeesKnees Member

Will air suspension stay high while car is off? I get that a small leak could be a thing. But otherwise does the car stay up?

6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Yes, but I don't rely on it!

7. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Good suggestion. I'll have to retrain myself. In this specific situation I needed trunk access and that wouldn't have worked, but backing in applicable certainly 75% of time.

8. mggurley

mggurley Member

When I see the parking space's white lines just showing in the rear view camera display, I stop moving forward.

• Informative x 1