Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beyond HW3.0 -- does FSD purchase pay for future hardware upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla partners with Samsung on new 5nm chip for full self-driving, report says - Electrek

Just read article above, which speculates on future changes to FSD processor chips.

If HW3.0 isn't the final package Tesla uses for FSD implementation, are those of us who've purchased the FSD package covered to get hardware upgrades?
You bought a collection of features, not a specific piece of hardware.

So, if new hardware is required to successfully deliver the set of features you paid for, then you should expect the new hardware. If not, then no.

You bought a collection of features, not a specific piece of hardware.

So, if new hardware is required to successfully deliver the set of features you paid for, then you should expect the new hardware. If not, then no.
But the issue is "which features" would be considered "paid for" for someone that bought, for example, FSD in 2018? Is Tesla forever obligated to hardware changes?

Nebulous requirements make for nebulous results. What did Tesla describe as "full self driving" anyway? I'd wager that Tesla will call it "feature complete" and therefore refuse to upgrade the hardware further and still call it a "driver aid." We won't get to actually trust the system with its current hardware.

But the issue is "which features" would be considered "paid for" for someone that bought, for example, FSD in 2018? Is Tesla forever obligated to hardware changes?
For 2018, it's all the hardware necessary for FSD (whether L4 or L5). If after they changed the description, it's at minimum all the hardware required for autosteer in cities (the only remaining explicit FSD package feature not released yet, new description does not explicitly promise you would be able to use features without supervision). HW3 might be sufficient, HW4 (or whatever this upgrade may be called) might not be required.

But the issue is "which features" would be considered "paid for" for someone that bought, for example, FSD in 2018?

These. I think you could make the case the current limited beta on HW3 meets all of these features with the exception of the "park seek mode".

Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-9.35.21-AM-e1530108954606.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
No way ride share robotaxi is coming from this software or hardware. Tesla can't deliver that and I'll expect they'll be better off giving 10k upgrade vouchers or transferring fsd to a new S or X with hw4 with the new radar and cameras.

...covered to get hardware upgrades?

I paid FSD for my 2012 Model X and I already paid $2,500 for MCU2 when I got the "free" HW3.0 computer.

I would be very surprised that will be all that I will pay for FSD.

I think Tesla will think of a way to get your money with each hardware upgrade one way or another (even if it's "free").

By the way, folks are talking about HW4.0 for 2021 already:

HW4 computer mass production in Q4 2021

I paid AU$8500 a year ago for FSD - it's on the contract of course.
Tesla have had my $8500 for 12 months now and I haven't had FSD: I'm fine with that because we all know it's a work in progress. If they need to change or install anything more than what's in the car at the moment to make it work then so far as I'm concerned they can do so but not at my expense. It's the same with updates. Should have been factored into the price when they started selling the cars.