Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bi directional charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it is...

The Tesla Gateway 2 also has it's own fuse board connectivity.

There's two sets you can use, one set for backup protection, and the other set for grid-tied.

This is clever because you can wire up your car charger directly to the Gateway 2 unit from outside (saving a slot in your Consumer Unit). I think there are 8 slots in total.

Then choose if you want stuff to work in a blackout or not.

Some heavy duty items, you may not want to work, like pool pumps, or machinery, or car chargers... so that backup power only gets used for the home in a Grid failure.

But other stuff you may want protected on backup like electric driveway gates, driveway lights etc...
The gateways is like a bypass from the original fusebox this the Tesla fusebox to what you want to work during a blackout?

The gateways is like a bypass from the original fusebox this the Tesla fusebox to what you want to work during a blackout?
No...

Your house has it's own fusebox (Consumer Unit). This manages the power around your house. The Gateway 2 does not bypass or replace this.

The Tesla Gateway 2 unit is installed directly after your Grid Meter Box... but it has it's own fuseboard as well, to add things directly into it if you want to.

How it works is like this...

Power comes in from the Grid... then through your meter box... then through the Tesla Gateway 2 unit... then into the home fuseboard (Consumer Unit)... then spread about in your house wherever it's needed.

Not only does the Gateway 2 have Grid power going into it... it can also have Solar Power going into it ... and/or Battery Storage Power going into it.

So it can manage where the Power comes from, before it gets to your house fusebox (Consumer Unit). This also ensures everything in your house is on backup power... because it's powering the fuseboard (Consumer Unit) completely...

This is why it's clever.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardTheKing
Looks like Ford has developed an affordable bi-directional charging station for their F-150 pickup truck.

"Now Ford has officially launched the ‘Ford Charge Station Pro,’ which acts as both a charging station and bi-directional charger... that’s significantly more expensive than your average home charger, for example, Tesla’s popular Wall Connector is only $550, the Ford Charge Station Pro is not your average wall charger. First off, it is rated at 80 amp, twice the capacity of the average charger, and it enables Ford’s Intelligent Backup Power bi-directional charging capacity.

With 80 amps of max current, Ford says that the charging station can add 30 miles of range per hour to the F-150 Lightning Extended Range and it is limited to 19 miles per hour for F-150 Standard Range. The other way, the system can provide up to 9.6 kW to your home when combined with Ford’s Home Integration System during the installation."

Screen-Shot-2022-03-01-at-6.27.19-AM.jpg

Original tear downs of US tesla charging boards were full of blocking diodes and would never do V2G. However Elon did reluctantly slip out at battery day that all European (CCS) Tesla M3 were V2G possible, so we just need to wait for the firmware upgrades !
Hmmm, it would be great if that were the case. I suspect he was talking out of his posterior though. Anybody got any up to date info ?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
No...

Your house has it's own fusebox (Consumer Unit). This manages the power around your house. The Gateway 2 does not bypass or replace this.

The Tesla Gateway 2 unit is installed directly after your Grid Meter Box... but it has it's own fuseboard as well, to add things directly into it if you want to.

How it works is like this...

Power comes in from the Grid... then through your meter box... then through the Tesla Gateway 2 unit... then into the home fuseboard (Consumer Unit)... then spread about in your house wherever it's needed.

Not only does the Gateway 2 have Grid power going into it... it can also have Solar Power going into it ... and/or Battery Storage Power going into it.

So it can manage where the Power comes from, before it gets to your house fusebox (Consumer Unit). This also ensures everything in your house is on backup power... because it's powering the fuseboard (Consumer Unit) completely...

This is why it's clever.
You know what, guys, you have convinced me. And I have decided to increase my budget to get a Powerwall. I have contacted by email few company in the northwest and hopefully, I should have some positive answer soon. I Believe that there some shortages on Tesla Powerwall battery but I am ready to wait 3 to 6 month if necessary, thank again for all your advice.

No. Anything could happen "tomorrow" with Tesla, with no prior announcement, but so far Tesla have shown no interest in this.

I think it was battery day that Elon said 'no' and his co-announcer said 'coming.'
This is why I miss JB Straubel at Tesla. He was influential enough to over-ride Elon's bad choices

Though fwiw, I think the entire bi-directional discussion as it pertains to Tesla is AC and it's current one way OBC. Wallbox is already selling a V2G CCS (DC) solution

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
We bought a Skoda Enyaq VRS Coupe with an 80kWh battery yesterday for my Wife.

While I was playing with the User Interface yesterday setting up my Guest Driver profile, I came across this screen.

Bidirectional Charging... Yes!

So it seems this 80kWh car allows you to use 10,000 kWh or 4000 hours of Bidirectional Charging.

This I want to explore, as 10 MWh is not to be sniffed at, and could top us up through Winters at home.

1 MWh top up over each Winter (equivalent to 74 Full Powerwalls) would last 10 years.

Screenshot_20230707_150045_Gallery.jpg

20230707_220224.jpg

Unless it’s a basic V2L which seems to be getting quite common now, presumably you will need a charge point that supports AND exactly the same DNO approval and setup that you would need when installing any micro generation kit. So far from plug and play.

Though fwiw, I think the entire bi-directional discussion as it pertains to Tesla is AC and it's current one way OBC. Wallbox is already selling a V2G CCS (DC) solution
Not that this helps UK folks but Ford Charge Station Pro and https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/features/ev-charging/ford-charge-station-pro/ (posted earlier) charges via AC J1772 but for V2H, supposedly they use the DC pins. So, it's goofy that a home AC EVSE would have a CCS1 connector and doesn't DC charge, but rather DC discharges...

I found the manual at https://content.fordpro.com/content...ord-Charge-Station-Pro-Installation-Guide.pdf. I only skimmed and see sections about HVDC wiring and inverter.

Unless it’s a basic V2L which seems to be getting quite common now, presumably you will need a charge point that supports AND exactly the same DNO approval and setup that you would need when installing any micro generation kit. So far from plug and play.

What I'm thinking... is we already have a 7kW Zappi Car charger installed on the Tesla Gateway.

If we replaced that with a 7kW Bidirectional Charger, then we should be able to feed the house from the car, putting the Powerwalls on standby until 7kW is exceeded.

Used during Winter months only, this would extend our Powerwall range by a LOT... keeping us on cheap rate for longer, or sustained for days during Grid Blackouts (as the Gateway can isolate the Grid).

We already have approval for the 7kW charger here... so swapping it out for a Bidirectional Charger might not be to difficult... and even if it is, it'll be worth it.

10 MWh on standby...

Glad I don’t have such unreliable grid that you seem to. We have had a couple of power cuts/brown outs in last 13 years, but nothing that could be classed as a minor inconvenience so not worth spending any money on and even if we had, no guarantee that a plan B would have avoided anyway. Being a 60/70’s child, sitting in the dark comes naturally, and with so many modern items being self powered, the implications of a power cut is much diminished.

That said, V2L might have its occasional use although hope that the output is better regulated than a previous inverter that I once had. Reality was that it was unusable for anything other than a basic load.

We bought a Skoda Enyaq VRS Coupe with an 80kWh battery yesterday for my Wife.

While I was playing with the User Interface yesterday setting up my Guest Driver profile, I came across this screen.

So it seems this 80kWh car allows you to use 10,000 kWh or 4000 hours of Bidirectional Charging.

This I want to explore, as 10 MWh is not to be sniffed at, and could top us up through Winters at home.

1 MWh top up over each Winter (equivalent to 74 Full Powerwalls) would last 10 years.

View attachment 954266

View attachment 954265
Lovely looking car, that. Be sure to give us a write up if/when the wife lets you drive it

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob
Lovely looking car, that. Be sure to give us a write up if/when the wife lets you drive it

Will do. So far, so good.

It's a nice car built by a Car Company, not a Technology Company.

Skoda App is a bit basic, battery increments of 10% so not as granular as Tesla.

Some other funny 'weird' things about this Skoda.

There's a Start Engine button... which you don't need to press to move the car? But its used to turn off the infotainment screen mainly.

There's a graphic showing a Petrol pump for range left.

To travel forwards you push the button backwards... and to go backwards, you push the button forwards.

Head Up Display is a narrow angle of view, so I have to duck my head down to see it clearly... but perfect for a 5' 3" Wife (since found out that this height is adjustable, so that's sorted).

1 MWh top up over each Winter (equivalent to 74 Full Powerwalls) would last 10
Could you explain? Where does the 10MWh or 4000 hours come from? Also the 1MWh top up and lasting 10 years? You found that on the Skoda interface, could it be mistranslated?
Beautiful looking car, are those on the same VW platform?

Reactions: PITA
Could you explain? Where does the 10MWh or 4000 hours come from? Also the 1MWh top up and lasting 10 years? You found that on the Skoda interface, could it be mistranslated?
Beautiful looking car, are those on the same VW platform?

OK... Vehicle to Home charging impacts the car battery life. So it's been discussed for a while how car manufacturers would 'manage' this battery use. This is my interpretation and I could be wrong, but it appears that Skoda will allow you to use Vehicle to Home charging for up to 10,000 kWh or 4000 hours within the battery warranty.

The information came from the cars Battery Charging screen from inside the car menu.

So if I trickle charge our house at 2.5 kW over winter... I'd get 400 hours worth each year. Or 4,000 hours over 10 years.

But if I used it to charge my Powerwalls at 7kW over winter... I'd get 143 hours worth each year. Or 10,000 kWh over 10 years.

The 10 years part is just my example. You could just run it continuously through the year until your 'hours' or 'energy' limit was reached. But I'd plan on only using it during Winter to boost my home battery storage.

So it'd be flexible on how I consumed the energy, and by what power, up to the limits of the car (10,000 kWh or 4000 hours) allowance, factoring in when you're likely to trade it in for a new one, which would then reset the V2H allowance.

This car uses the MEB Platform for the VW/Audi Group. Audi, Skoda, SEAT, VW and Ford (through a licensing agreement)

Screenshot_20230708_232554_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_232451_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie
Just an example of how brilliant this could be...

During deep Winter both our Powerwalls can be filled and fully used each day.

Normally you'd have a reserve limit set to 20% for backup purposes... to cover you if the worst happens and there's a Grid failure.

But if you have a 80 kWh reserve sat outside in the car, to call upon at short notice... it means you can keep topping up the Powerwalls with cheap rate energy, while maintaining your blackout 20% reserve.

It wouldn't stretch the car as it'd just trickle feed the house base load...