Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bi-Xenon Upgrade using Morimoto HID Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my long overdue review on my Bi-xenon retrofit for my 2010 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Sport. When I’d purchased the car I was disappointed that a car such as this didn’t come with standard xenon lighting. I thought I could live with it, but found out that the Roadster has terrible halogen lighting. I’ve seen other cars with halogen projects with a better beam pattern than this. I’ve been told that installing aftermarkets HID would be an option and would produce an acceptable beam pattern. However, coming from using vehicles with OEM HID projects, I knew that retrofitting it this way would produce a very narrow beam pattern with hot spots.

So I looked into the possibly retrofitting the headlights with a true HID projector system. By doing this not only would I gain a perfect beam pattern, but I would also be able to get bi-xenon capabilities. The stock tesla HID, I’ve heard only has low beam HIDs and rely on the halogens for the high beams. After setting my goals for this project, I contacted Caesar over at Lightwerkz Global, to assist me in retrofitting my stock headlights.

The first challenge was to figure out how to remove the headlights out of the roadster. After figuring out how to remove the bumper, and remove the three bolts that connected the headlights to the frame of the car, I was able to take out the headlights and ship it to Caesar.

Caesar proposed that I go for the following:

Morimoto H1 Retrofit Kit (Headlights) ~$300
Triton V4 Switchback LEDs (Turn Signals) ~$150
LED Wedge Bulb ~$20

Using this configuration allows the Roadster’s headlight to have bi-xenon capabilities, an additional LED indicator light, which turns orange during blinking, and the small orange light for an LED. The high beam I had him keep the same with halogens, so in daylight, using flash to pass, the system would use the halogen bulb instead of igniting the HIDs and raising the shutter for the high beam. However, at nighttime, the HIDs do function as both low and high beam.

After receiving the headlights from Caesar and aligning the headlights properly, I can see that the beam pattern is excellent compared to stock. The headlights have a very clear distinct horizontal cutoff, wide beam dispersion, and no hot spots. Caesar did a great job in opening up the headlights, installing the projectors, putting it back together, and testing to ensure there is no leakage or possibility of condensation. He was also able to install the 3M Gore Tex Patch that was mentioned in an earlier thread regarding condensation in the stock housing.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn’t get the switchback since it wasn’t really necessary since it just added another light to the headlight. But what I would recommend is to get the switchback and have Caesar wire it up for DRL, that way in the daytime, the turn signals act as white DRLs and blink orange when needed, similar to Mercedes or Audis.

If you’re interested, you can contact Caesar at [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_6372.jpg
    IMG_6372.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_6389.jpg
    IMG_6389.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_6394.jpg
    IMG_6394.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 642
  • IMG_8214.jpg
    IMG_8214.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 634
The reason I had to choose the Morimoto H1 was because the Tesla Roadster's projector were quite small compared to the average projector. I actually wanted to install LED HALO rings also but due to its small size, it wasn't recommended. The Morimoto H1 is only 70mm wide and 70mm tall. If the DDM would fit also that would be great, but at the time DDM was only offered through their own company and they don't do retrofits.

FWIW, DDM Tuning sent me an email claiming (with photos) that their projectors are better than Morimoto's:

View attachment 80514