TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bicycle carrier

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Dborn, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

i have been using a Whispbar rack and Thule bike carrier for the 2.5 years I have owned the car. Unfortunately the rack whistles even when the Thule is removed and it does not look good. I decided to try something different and bought the Seasucker. They have a distributor in Australia. This works as advertised and takes all of 15 seconds to remove and about 2 -3 mins to install including the bike!!
    Beware. There is a small learning curve! The Seasucker is a fork mount whereas the Thule is side arm. With a fork mount you preferably need 3 hands, and since we don't have 3 hands, you have to learn how to support the bike, and tighten the skewer with one hand. Doable when you know how. First time I managed to let the bike topple and it struck my head ( ouch), and the pedal scratched my hatch back ( treble ouch!!).
    The vacuum system is excellent and very stable.
    You need to ensure the mounting area is clean and dust free, easy to do with the supplied water spray bottle and microfiber cloth. Also you must strap the peddle horizontal with the supplied Velcro strap, or else it can swivel down and scratch your car in transit.
    Compared to fixed rack system, it is FAR more convenient though.

Now, I have my rack and Thule carrier for sale. Private mail me if interested.

2. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Very interesting Db! Presume with either one range takes a huge hit? What's the maximum bike weight on each carrier? I have a lightweight carbon bike that wouldn't be a problem but the one I really want to transport is one of my hefty electric beasts. Pretty sure even the lightest one with battery removed would be way too heavy.

IMG_0747.JPG

3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Having looked at and tried to lift an ebike, forget it! Way way too heavy!! Carbon even steel no issue. Very stable on the Seasucker.

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Have not noticed much hit in range, but the longest I have driven with either of the above is 80 km.

5. BenT

BenT Member

Which sea sucker model do you use. I assume it attaches to the sunroof?

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The single bike carrier. Indeed it attaches to the glass roof just behind the sunroof ( not recommended to attach to the moving portion). The the rear wheel sucker is on the hatchback glass, but it could just as easily be further back and be on the metal of the hatchback below the glass. It does no damage to paint since the surface must be clean to start with.