Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bicycle transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Has anyone had experience transporting 2 road bikes with their Model S? Hitch? Whispbar setup?

If you fold down the rear seats, put in one mover's blanket first to keep dirt and grease off the car and a second mover's blanket between the bikes so they don't scratch each other; it's really easy. Take off as many wheels as you want. If you don't have too much stuff, and by swapping ends, they will fit with only the front wheels off. Only taking off the front wheels is easier, avoids getting greasy, but takes a little more finesse putting in the bikes.

Have Fun!

That's an interestung bike rack, what kind is that? Is it mounted such that it could rub into the paint? Or is it suction cups?

The brand is Saris, sorry I forget the exact model, but it was pretty inexpensive (well under $100). It uses metal V-shaped "clips" to attach to the car (where the point of the V is rounded). I was definitely worried about scratches, so I wrapped the clips with a non-slip shelf liner. I'll try to remember to take more detailed photos later.

It's not designed to go high speeds or long distances, apparently, but it did quite well from Charlottesville to DC. I didn't go super-fast but I'm sure I broke 65mph a few times.

I will be getting one of these. I have no interest in the company. I compete in triathlons and have seen and spoken to the factory reps at several races and know a couple of racing friends that use the system. I do not want the sunroof but the only reason I was considering was for the integrated rack mounts.

http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

+1. And they have mounts for skis (not ski boxes for you purists), kayaks, surfboards, etc. They're stand alone solutions for each equipment type so can get a bit pricey.

BIG DISCLAIMER: Saris does not officially claim compatibility with the Model S. Using this rack is at your own risk.
In fact, "Tesla" isn't even an option on their vehicle fit guide. It's entirely possible that the glass issue Kipernicus mentioned upthread would prevent this rack from supporting your bike.

Having said that, here's the rack I own: Saris Sentinel 2
Sentinel 2-Bike Transport Rack
Current list price is $70. It's very much "entry level" and I don't use it much, but it gets the job done well when I need it. I purchased it before the Model S because it was compatible with my old Mazda 6 station wagon. It also comes in a 3-bike version for $10 more.

Re: efficiency, I was pleasantly surprised. Driving alone from DC to Charlottesville with my bike inside the car, I got about 315 Wh/mi. Returning from Charlottesville to DC with 3 additional passengers and my bike on the rack, I also got about 315 Wh/mi, though I'll admit the return trip was probably ~5mph slower on average.

And here's a close-up photo of the shelf liner on one of the metal clips.
IMG_3936.jpg

photo-16.JPG
I bought the whispbar system from Tesla but ended up using a Thule cargo box since I already had it rather than buying a new roof mounted bike system. It fit 2 bikes with wheels off plus some additional gear and allowed us to have 5 passengers in the car. Seems more aerodynamic than those bikes standing up on the roof or dragging on the rear but hard to know.

notgasy

You want to purchase the Torklift Central EcoHitch for Model S:

http://torkliftcentral.com/ecohitch/tesla/ecohitch_tesla_model_s.php

You want it installed by a BODY SHOP.... I took mine to one owned by a client of mine and they had no problems following the instructions and video posted online to install mine perfectly...

Aaron

My wife and I have been using the Torklift Ecohitch for almost a year to haul our bike and love it. I personally hate roof racks for the added drag and potential for damage when I forget and drive into the garage.

if you are mechanically handy (change your own brake pads, install a stereo level) then it's fine to do it yourself - as I did in about 6 hours. Otherwise do as Aaron suggests and just get a body shop to do it.

Ride!
Trent

...I personally hate roof racks for the added drag and potential for damage when I forget and drive into the garage...

That's funny, I have a fear of being rear ended and having an expensive bike damaged. At least I can blame myself if I forget about the bikes on top. Such as ...

Last week we loaded the tandems on top of our minivan. My wife wanted Starbucks and there was a drive through on the way. Fortunately, there was a hanging warning sign that I smacked as I pulled in otherwise I would have hit the overhang at the window. I also triggered an overheight sensor on the Hutchinson River Pkwy but I've got at least a foot of clearance for those bridges. I slid to the left lane where there is more clearance, just in case.

Just a quick story of my experience with a roof mounted bike rack:

I leased a Nissan Leaf when they fist became available and as I ride my road bike most days I thought the roof looked like a good place to haul a bike.
The first issue was the abysmal mileage I was getting with the rack, add the bike I was down to 53 miles a charge but I love the Leaf.

But that's not the worst part I had a ride in up in Sebring Florida (I am in Fort Lauderdale) obviously I cant take the leaf as it is over 200 miles so I was driving in the leaf with the bike on the roof to Fort Lauderdale airport to pick up a rental with
my mate who was going to drive the Leaf back to the office, we drive into the car rental area, as you enter the lane to take you to the car Rentals there is this big bright yellow solid metal girder across the road with big lettering Height restriction 7' or something, whatever it was it was lower than the bike on the roof.

When I hit it I thought I had run over those spikes they use to stop you going the wrong way..... BANG!!!!!
I say oh shi*t I blew my tires, my mate said no mate your bike is on the road behind us.
I had torn the bike along with the roof rack completely off the car.... massive damage to the roof good news the bike was fine as was the roof rack in fact the bike was still attached securely to the roof rack.

Moral of this story:
if your gonna get a roof rack buy an INNO if you want a tough road bike get a Cevelo and remember high restriction means you are to high if you are driving a Leaf with a bike on the roof.

(I got the Eco Hitch for my Tesla)

I'm getting my Torklift Ecohitch installed this weekend for using a bike rack. I am curious, has anyone been able to use a rear bike rack easily while supercharging? Am I going to have to take the whole thing off to supercharge, or with the charger pedistal offset to the side, is there enough room to back the car in and miss the charger pedistal? I suppose I can try to mount my bikes on the rack off to the passenger side a bit to assist. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I too installed the Eco Hitch a year ago and have made three trips from Virginia to Florida with our two bikes and have had no problems. Have used the Tesla supercharges up and down I-95.

Also, I did the install which took most of the day. Instructions and video are OK, but I can't believe the number of fasteners and screws that have to be removed from the Tesla and then put back in the right spot. Labeling each screw and location with masking tape helps.