Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biden administration wants to standardize electric vehicle charging, like gas stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article is rather vague. It's not clear:
  • Whether the proposed regulations would require standardizing on one plug or whether a station (or stall) could provide multiple plugs for different cars and everything would be fine. If the former, then that would come close to requiring Tesla to adopt CCS1, everybody else to adopt Tesla's connector, or every manufacturer to adopt some new standard.
  • If a single plug type would be required, what would that be? My guess is CCS1, since CHAdeMO is all but dead and Tesla's is proprietary. (Yes, I know that Tesla has pledged to open its IP; but as I understand it, they have cross-licensing requirements to do so that most other companies refuse to accept.) Of course, this may be moot, depending on the answer to point #1.
  • What type of payment methods would count as an acceptable "standard for payment." I'm guessing that means credit cards, but it could be that plus something else (Bitcoin? Cash? Gold-pressed latinum?), or maybe even some new industry-wide RFID card or app. There might be bureaucratic details requiring particular types of credit card readers or locations for the same (on the pedestal vs. at a separate control kiosk).
  • Would other forms of payment (plug-and-charge, network apps/cards, etc.) be acceptable, so long as the "standard" method is also accepted?
All of this is similar to discussions from a year or so ago. At the time, there were two draft pieces of legislation that had leaked that had very different wording that, to my non-lawyer mind, produced different answers to these questions. As at that time, the answers to these questions depend on the precise wording (and legal interpretation) of the regulations.

If California can make their safety rest area stations free, the US can afford the same.
SOMEONE is paying to make them 'free', I assume tolls or state taxes. Doesn't California have some of the highest state income taxes in the nation? Do you really want that to expand to a national scale?

I get we want free stuff. Its awfully unfair to the people who DON'T use their cars a lot, or have no EV at all, to have them pay for anyone who has an EV.

Last edited:
SOMEONE is paying to make them 'free', I assume tolls or state taxes. Doesn't California have some of the highest state income taxes in the nation? Do you really want that to expand to a national scale?

I get we want free stuff. Its awfully unfair to the people who DON'T use their cars a lot, or has no EV at all, to have them pay for anyone who has an EV.
Consider it an enticement just like tax credits were.

The article is rather vague. It's not clear:
  • Whether the proposed regulations would require standardizing on one plug or whether a station (or stall) could provide multiple plugs for different cars and everything would be fine. If the former, then that would come close to requiring Tesla to adopt CCS1, everybody else to adopt Tesla's connector, or every manufacturer to adopt some new standard.
  • If a single plug type would be required, what would that be? My guess is CCS1, since CHAdeMO is all but dead and Tesla's is proprietary. (Yes, I know that Tesla has pledged to open its IP; but as I understand it, they have cross-licensing requirements to do so that most other companies refuse to accept.) Of course, this may be moot, depending on the answer to point #1.
A site requires at least 4) 150kW CCS connectors. They can provide others as well. They can also spend the money on tethered adapters. So they could buy Tesla CCS adapters to attach to each stall. (Once Tesla sells them in the US.)

A site requires at least 4) 150kW CCS connectors. They can provide others as well. They can also spend the money on tethered adapters. So they could buy Tesla CCS adapters to attach to each stall. (Once Tesla sells them in the US.)
Gotta love how EA cheated this by putting 2x CCS on most of their stations (not counting the CCs/CHAdeMo) when power CANNOT be shared.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mockingbird
A site requires at least 4) 150kW CCS connectors.
It's four 150 kW CCS connectors with each connector able to independently output 150 kW.

150 kW shared like the V2 Supercharger doesn't meet the requirement.

They can provide others as well. They can also spend the money on tethered adapters. So they could buy Tesla CCS adapters to attach to each stall. (Once Tesla sells them in the US.)
They could do whatever they want, it would be outside of the grant.

The 'free' chargers at CA rest areas seldom work. You get what you pay for.
Everyone I hit except for Lebec (4 pack, one operational) worked for me without having to faff about too much. 🤷‍♂️

BTC units are finicky as all get out but they have their quirks on how to get them running. That’s why I say the National rest area solution should be using a more reliable equipment set like ABB or ChargePoint.