Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biden administration wants to standardize electric vehicle charging, like gas stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, they could have. But that would have made it harder to maintain quality control that was so important when opening up a new market against such hostile, powerful competitors (the ICE industry). Besides, given the reception they met at the committee, It wouldn't surprise me, nor would I hold it against them if they decided to go it alone - just for spite - "if you can't join 'em, beat 'em"
Clearly, that is what they're doing.
Now, you are just making excuses for Tesla.

The fact of the matter is that Tesla chose to make its connector proprietary.

That decision led us to where we are today.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Sure, they could have just waited another 6+ months until the CCS standard was complete and then be happy with 50 KW charging speeds that would make their cars barely suitable for road trips.
Or they could have put the spec out publicly in, like, 2013 or 2015, or 2018, or 2020, or 2022, a site where you could download all the communications protocols and physical standards for a nominal fee of a few hundred or thousand dollars, the way you can with J1772/CCS...the situation in 2010 or 2011 need not still be the situation in 2022 except for Elon/Tesla's own actions to keep the standard intensely proprietary instead of pushing for it to be as easy for others to use as possible. "Spite" may be a good explanation for the actions, but it's not a good technical justification...

If it had been that easy to get ahold of the TPC documents in 2015, maybe every third party charger would have 350+ kW TPC available as well as CCS, and it might be required by an alternate national network funding program but Tesla basically chose not to let that happen.

Or they could have put the spec out publicly in, like, 2013 or 2015, or 2018, or 2020, or 2022, a site where you could download all the communications protocols and physical standards for a nominal fee of a few hundred or thousand dollars, the way you can with J1772/CCS...the situation in 2010 or 2011 need not still be the situation in 2022 except for Elon/Tesla's own actions to keep the standard intensely proprietary instead of pushing for it to be as easy for others to use as possible. "Spite" may be a good explanation for the actions, but it's not a good technical justification...

If it had been that easy to get ahold of the TPC documents in 2015, maybe every third party charger would have 350+ kW TPC available as well as CCS, and it might be required by an alternate national network funding program but Tesla basically chose not to let that happen.
That's the point a lot of people in this thread don't get. The third-party charging providers would love to offer a full speed charging solution for Teslas. Requiring an adapter or worse getting knee capped at 50kW harms their business and that theoretically runs counter to Tesla's mission.

If accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation is the goal, wouldn't you want as much investment in infrastructure as possible Tesla or no? It's far harder to justify that investment for charging providers when the most popular EVs in the US can't use their network. I would think if Tesla was honest about their mission, fixing this issue would be a top priority.

That's the point a lot of people in this thread don't get. The third-party charging providers would love to offer a full speed charging solution for Teslas. Requiring an adapter or worse getting knee capped at 50kW harms their business and that theoretically runs counter to Tesla's mission.

If accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation is the goal, wouldn't you want as much investment in infrastructure as possible Tesla or no? It's far harder to justify that investment for charging providers when the most popular EVs in the US can't use their network. I would think if Tesla was honest about their mission, fixing this issue would be a top priority.
I can use any CCS1 charger in the US at up to 185 kW. So it's really not an issue anymore.

I can use any CCS1 charger in the US at up to 185 kW. So it's really not an issue anymore.
I can too. We made the special effort to import an adapter from Korea and I even performed my own ECU upgrade to make it work.

Even if you add in people with Chademo adapters, we represent an extremely small portion of Tesla owners who can use third party DC charging in North America.

I contend that this is a bad thing. Either, the adapters should be included with new cars or Tesla should switch to CCS1 natively.

With that, you’d have a similar situation to Europe where non-Tesla chargers see much more utilization because most Tesla cars can use their chargers without thinking about it. Many stations even show up in the nav there with on-route pre-conditioning.

I believe there is more infrastructure in Europe because they know Teslas will use their chargers. It greatly opens up the pool of cars that can use their networks which promotes further investment.

The third-party charging providers would love to offer a full speed charging solution for Teslas.
This is just plain naive. Third-party charging providers (or at least their sponsors) would only love to offer only ICE. When forced, they (Chargepoint excepted) built the networks. The CCS Standard, however, was not developed by charging station providers. The only charging station provider involved initially was Chargepoint although they really didn't understand fast charging until Tesla showed how it was done. High speed CCS was promoted by Porsche, as Tesla began seriously impacting their business, as a way to try to one-up the already wildly successful Tesla.
I believe there is more infrastructure in Europe because they know Teslas will use their chargers.
Still naive.
If there is more infrastructure in Europe (probably depends on what metric is use to determine 'more'), it is because Tesla hit the heart of the European export car market early on by soundly hurting BMW, MBZ, Porsche, and Audi sales in the USA. They then, in typical obstructionist nature (an art form Europe has perfected over the millennia) created yet another non-compatible charging standard and ham-fistedly passed laws mandating its use in the EU.
This after completely shunning EV development for the 20 years that folks in the US struggled through, Europe smugly propped up their ICE industry by greenwashing with their lying claims that they had cheap, clean diesel and that it was good enough.

This is just plain naive. Third-party charging providers (or at least their sponsors) would only love to offer only ICE. When forced, they (Chargepoint excepted) built the networks. The CCS Standard, however, was not developed by charging station providers. The only charging station provider involved initially was Chargepoint although they really didn't understand fast charging until Tesla showed how it was done. High speed CCS was promoted by Porsche, as Tesla began seriously impacting their business, as a way to try to one-up the already wildly successful Tesla.

Still naive.
If there is more infrastructure in Europe (probably depends on what metric is use to determine 'more'), it is because Tesla hit the heart of the European export car market early on by soundly hurting BMW, MBZ, Porsche, and Audi sales in the USA. They then, in typical obstructionist nature (an art form Europe has perfected over the millennia) created yet another non-compatible charging standard and ham-fistedly passed laws mandating its use in the EU.
This after completely shunning EV development for the 20 years that folks in the US struggled through, Europe smugly propped up their ICE industry by greenwashing with their lying claims that they had cheap, clean diesel and that it was good enough.
I couldn’t disagree more. Francis Energy in my state built out many more stations than grants covered. They are promoting the transition to EVs and I know from talking to them that they would love to support Tesla’s plug. They even offered Chademo adapters for a while at some chargers before they became worn out and they couldn’t buy replacements (since Tesla discontinued the adapter).

They were quite excited to hear about the SETEC CCS1 adapter when it was released and worked with a local YouTuber to try to make the network compatible.

So you disagree that a common standard hasn’t paid dividends on new chargers in Europe. I’d say you should look at the FastNed charging network. From the earliest Model 3 deliveries that company was very enthusiastic about how they could charge the Model 3 at full speed on their network.

It was one of the first cars to fully utilize what their chargers could output. I still believe that Model 3 drivers (with native CCS2) helped justify FastNed’s massive expansion across Europe and nothing you’ve said has disproven that point to me.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I couldn’t disagree more. Francis Energy in my state built out many more stations than grants covered. They are promoting the transition to EVs and I know from talking to them that they would love to support Tesla’s plug. They even offered Chademo adapters for a while at some chargers before they became worn out and they couldn’t buy replacements (since Tesla discontinued the adapter).

They were quite excited to hear about the SETEC CCS1 adapter when it was released and worked with a local YouTuber to try to make the network compatible.

So you disagree that a common standard hasn’t paid dividends on new chargers in Europe. I’d say you should look at the FastNed charging network. From the earliest Model 3 deliveries that company was very enthusiastic about how they could charge the Model 3 at full speed on their network.

It was one of the first cars to fully utilize what their chargers could output. I still believe that Model 3 drivers (with native CCS2) helped justify FastNed’s massive expansion across Europe and nothing you’ve said has disproven that point to me.
Too bad they went with those god awful BTC stations though…And they charge by the session and minute.

Reactions: lynyrdM
Too bad they went with those god awful BTC stations though…And they charge by the session and minute.
Yeah, BTC straight up sucks. It seems like many of those high power units are starting to see their liquid cooling fail since they’re only letting us pull 50kW.

I’m glad Francis had back-up 100kW units (200Amp) that don’t use liquid cooling but BTC should have designed these things better.

Edit: I will say, when the high power units work they actually are a good deal with the CCS adapter when paying per-minute. I did a 12% to 60% charge for $8 that way which works out to around 21.2¢ per kWh. I peaked at around 137kW and unplugged before it dipped down to low speeds.

• Love
Francis Energy in my state built out many more stations than grants covered.
While I much appreciate Francis Energy, their track record for unreliability in Guymon and Hooker, OK means I cannot take US 54 as a shortcut from SoCal to KC, Omaha, Des Moines, etc.
I much appreciate their buildout, however, unless they've improved since the one time I did try that direction and Plugshare.com comments are wrong, they need to maintain their network in addition to just building it, especially remote location known for high winds such as Guymon and Hooker.

While I much appreciate Francis Energy, their track record for unreliability in Guymon and Hooker, OK means I cannot take US 54 as a shortcut from SoCal to KC, Omaha, Des Moines, etc.
I much appreciate their buildout, however, unless they've improved since the one time I did try that direction and Plugshare.com comments are wrong, they need to maintain their network in addition to just building it, especially remote location known for high winds such as Guymon and Hooker.
Or at least move away from BTC Power over to ChargePoint or more reliable machinery.

Or at least move away from BTC Power over to ChargePoint or more reliable machinery.
I'm a bit surprised to see the words "ChargePoint" and "reliable" in the same sentence without a "not" in there somewhere. I've had a lot of bad experience with ChargePoint.
EVgo's ABB stations are the only ones that I've generally found to regularly be fairly reliable, however, their technicians say that filter cleaning and other regular maintenance are actually the key to keeping DCFCs working. It even keeps the cheap Nissan CHAdeMO stations working.

I'm a bit surprised to see the words "ChargePoint" and "reliable" in the same sentence without a "not" in there somewhere. I've had a lot of bad experience with ChargePoint.
EVgo's ABB stations are the only ones that I've generally found to regularly be fairly reliable, however, their technicians say that filter cleaning and other regular maintenance are actually the key to keeping DCFCs working. It even keeps the cheap Nissan CHAdeMO stations working.
Yeah, I was using some Chargepoint units in Edmond a little bit ago and only pulled 24kW even though they were 200 Amp stations (should see around 70-80kW).

Interesting to hear about the filters. Maybe that’s what Francis needs to be working on.

Still naive.
Third-party charging providers (except maybe Electrify America) don't care about which vehicles are charging. It doesn't matter if it's a Porsche Taycan, a Tesla Model S, or a Lucid Air.

If they can offer the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC), they absolutely would have.

By denying third-party charging providers the option to offer TPC, Tesla denies them revenue that they would otherwise get from Tesla drivers.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Most reliable thus far having lived with a Polestar 3 months and many many miles.

Most reliable thus far having lived with a Polestar 3 months and many many miles.
Good to know you're finding them reliable, at least in some places. My experience differs. I've found most CHAdeMO stations to not be worth the effort of bothering and certainly not safe to rely on, choosing a sub-optimal Supercharger instead most of the time even if a CHAdeMO could help optimize.

It seems to be the other way round here. EVGo's old 50kW CCS at their 1 + 1 stations are reported to be unreliable (by PlugShare reports) but together, my wife and I have used all 5 ChargePoint CCS locations north of Portland, ME and never had a problem. (Only just realized we'd done that!) Might just be the age of the chargers.