Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Bear CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is a new Loop 50kw charger in Blue Jay about 10 mins away from Lake arrowhead proper. Same lot as union bank and the theater. Blue Jay burgers across the street which is a decent burger. A few cents cheaper per Kw than tesla but only CCS and chad
oh nice. thats good to know, didnt notice that when i last went thru blu jay. Blu Jay burger is decent. Better than the mcdonalds that used to be there.

Reactions: SteelClouds
Yeah. Instant torque going up is awesome. No way I would trust FSD in the mountains. It can’t get out of my neighborhood without a cyber meltdown
it has a "cyber meltdown" (btw you should copyright that phrase and make t-shirts, lol) on some of the u turns going up hwy 18 and in town, but then where you think it would have big issues it doesnt, lol. I saw the new charger in blu jay thanksgiving morning. Barely visible from the main road but at least there is an option for charging, its better than nothing.

Survey results are in, Big Bear !!!

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 9.01.05 PM.png

That new charger in Blue Jay is already broken.. I swear loop is one of the worst companies for running a charger.. I was up there on the 27th and Blue Jay's Loop charger was dead.. and one of the two at Big Bear ( union bank) was dead. Any one needing CCS was pretty much screwed. I used the SC at Lake Arrowhead to get to 75% and then went to Big Bear.. left there at 49% and went the back way down.. way, way too many wannebe snow bunnies going home on the front way. Saved 45 mins off the home trek doing that. Hit the bottom of the mountain at 39% ( gotta love regen).. I "was" going to charge at the SC in Riverside.. until I found out the entire pod was down.. Ended up at the EA station at McKinley ( walmart) and while it took two tries, it did end up working with my adapter. I could have gotten home with 12% but I dont like doing that as a rule.

Reactions: HarryChimp
Longtime mountain resident here. Really hoping to see lots of Supercharger stalls in Big Bear, given the number of Tesla visitors we see! But this will take time, given the site and infrastructure requirements.

For what it’s worth, I regularly use FSD Beta on mountain roads, mainly when traffic is slow or when there’s no one behind us. Late at night, I’ve let FSD drive us up CA-330 all the way from Highland to Running Springs. It slows excessively for curves, but it does work! It has improved considerably over the last year.

Reactions: TarmacSurfer
Really hoping to see lots of Supercharger stalls in Big Bear
Ideally it will be the new CCS and Tesla stalls. There are only 3 CCS chargers in Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear and the company running them ( Loop) is one of the absolute worst even when compared to EA :/. I've talked to Polestar, Rivian and a few Bolt owners all trying to use these chargers. One day they were very jealous because the CCS was broken but Chadamo was working and I have both adapters :)

Reactions: beachmiles and cdub
That new charger in Blue Jay is already broken.. I swear loop is one of the worst companies for running a charger.. I was up there on the 27th and Blue Jay's Loop charger was dead.. and one of the two at Big Bear ( union bank) was dead. Any one needing CCS was pretty much screwed. I used the SC at Lake Arrowhead to get to 75% and then went to Big Bear.. left there at 49% and went the back way down.. way, way too many wannebe snow bunnies going home on the front way. Saved 45 mins off the home trek doing that. Hit the bottom of the mountain at 39% ( gotta love regen).. I "was" going to charge at the SC in Riverside.. until I found out the entire pod was down.. Ended up at the EA station at McKinley ( walmart) and while it took two tries, it did end up working with my adapter. I could have gotten home with 12% but I dont like doing that as a rule.
The back highway is the best way.

Reactions: SteelClouds
I live in the SB mountains, and the lack of chargers up there is crazy for the amount of Teslas we have. Though the mountain has quite a few anti ev folk up here. Thankfully I charge at home but here in Crestline there isnt a public charger at all. A real estate agency has one but do not want anyone using it. Im trying to convince Lake Gregory to install some chargers at this time. Feel free to charge at my location when needed @SteelClouds lol
How close are you to Big Bear, in need of a charge and forgot our adapter, lesson definitely learned. Would love any help on this from anyone in area.