Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Bear - where to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, taking the family to Big Bear in February for a week. Really want to take the Tesla...

But, where to charge?

I have figured out I can use the SuperCharger at the bottom of the mountain, and can make it to the top with 65% remaining. But for a week in BB, that will not last, so I will need to charge up there.

I have found a destination charger in Lake Arrowhead, but do not know if I can use it
I have found a chargepoint in Running Springs.
I've read about people charging in camp grounds, but have never done that myself, and don't even know if they're open in the Winter.

Has anyone found a good place to charge in Big Bear itself?

Reactions: beachmiles
+100 on Plugshare. Filter by J1772, Tesla and Tesla Supercharger.

As for campgrounds, they may be closed due to COVID-19. Google for california campground closed covid-19 and limit search results to the past month.

If you're willing to buy the $450 CHAdeMO Adapter, that might help. Or, maybe you can borrow/rent one? CHAdeMo charging for Tesla - Adapter, Rent by the week is OOS right now.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
Also, for Plugshare, trying turning on NEMA 14-50 and residential chargers. You'd of course need to buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter for your mobile connector if you don't have it.

You might be able to swing a deal/agreement w/a resident in the area to charge up a bit. I do see some residential entries in/around there.

(I'm not familiar with the Big Bear area as I wouldn't ever go there besides it being over 400 miles away from me...)

You’ll use almost zero energy on the way back down - maybe even GAIN a few kWh.

That. It is scary the first time as you don't really know you could make it down, but then you see that you are "gaining" miles as you go down. We go up to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead every year from our home (a few miles from Fontana Supercharger). We didn't have to charge in between. Just charge up at home and come back home.

Use abetterrouteplanner.com to estimate. It is pretty accurate. Just charge up at Fontana or SB supercharger, you should be good for the week unless you drive a lot up in the mountain. You only need about 40 miles on the gauge to make it down to one of those 2 superchargers.

Last edited:
UPDATE.

Did the trip. Took the Model X.

Charged at the bottom (San Bernadino) and got to cabin at 65%.
Cabin had a garage with an outlet! Only Nema15, but okay...

Charging was at 12A, 110V, but I got 15-20% overnight.
We had a couple of emergency trips to Lake Arrowhead, which took 10% or more each way.
Lowest we got was 20%.
Still finished the week at 65% at the top - and made it home without charging.

I found that there was a charger in Running Springs, but only 7.5kW.
There was a Tesla Destination Charger in Lake Tahoe, but those max out at 10kW.

Would be really nice to get a charger at the top somewhere.

UPDATE.

Did the trip. Took the Model X.

Charged at the bottom (San Bernadino) and got to cabin at 65%.
Cabin had a garage with an outlet! Only Nema15, but okay...

Charging was at 12A, 110V, but I got 15-20% overnight.
We had a couple of emergency trips to Lake Arrowhead, which took 10% or more each way.
Lowest we got was 20%.
Still finished the week at 65% at the top - and made it home without charging.

I found that there was a charger in Running Springs, but only 7.5kW.
There was a Tesla Destination Charger in Lake Tahoe, but those max out at 10kW.

Would be really nice to get a charger at the top somewhere.
I have an 80amp I just installed in big bear lake up the street from the Carl’s Jr.

I have an 80amp Tesla charger at my house in big bear lake. I do charge a fee to cover expenses but it is worth the peace of mind that you can just pull in and charge in my private driveway just for Tesla cars. There is also a nice restaurant 100 yards away to eat at
Really, coming to Big Bear in July. Was feeling very anxious about taking the Tesla.

Reactions: Ken_Y and Need
I have an 80amp Tesla charger at my house in big bear lake. I do charge a fee to cover expenses but it is worth the peace of mind that you can just pull in and charge in my private driveway just for Tesla cars. There is also a nice restaurant 100 yards away to eat at
Last BB trip with the 3 I had to take the dreaded tow truck down the mountain to the San Bernardino charger.. forgot to bring a normal 120V adapter to use at the cottage. I’m taking another trip up this weekend and it’d be a huge peace of mind if I could get in contact with you in case something bad happens again this time.

feel free to reply or send a PM with some contact info :)

• Funny
Reactions: TwistedGray
Last BB trip with the 3 I had to take the dreaded tow truck down the mountain to the San Bernardino charger.. forgot to bring a normal 120V adapter to use at the cottage. I’m taking another trip up this weekend and it’d be a huge peace of mind if I could get in contact with you in case something bad happens again this time.

626-205-5970

Reactions: jpy1980

626-205-5970