Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Blue Bee - Model X - Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we finally took delivery on Tuesday (June 19th) at the Fremont delivery center.

If you don't want to read the whole thing. Summary - delivery experience was average at best. Car came with 2018.14.3 installed and updated to the latest overnight.

Disclaimer: This is not a rant or a complaint. Just a summary of our delivery experience. YMMV. This is our first tesla and the car is fantastic. The delivery experience is compared to everything that we had seen for other owner's reports.

More details -

Before delivery:
* Our Delivery Advisor (DA) was extremely busy. She barely had time to reply to emails, which she did when she got to it. I had to call her a few times and the conversation usually was super to the point with her speaking as fast as she could but professional. Just no room for any detailed explanation.

* Our Owner Advisor was super nice. Could reach him every time I tried to and was super helpful.

* I tried to keep my interactions with OA / DA to a minimum as they are very busy usually.

* I noticed that our car went into production and requested the OA to let me know when the paperwork was ready. Same thing with the final contract. I noticed it and went ahead to review it online beforehand. No contact with OA after the contract posted. (two days? approx. before delivery).

Delivery:
* We reached the delivery center on time. It was a warm day. Checked in with the lady sitting out in the parking lot under an umbrella.

* Noticed a line of cars sitting out in the sun with a few people around them, taking delivery of their cars. Mostly model X and model S. 4-5 in total I guess.

* Approached the front entrance of the building and about 3 outdoor high tables with new owners and Tesla agents going through the delivery process. It was warm outside so we walked inside. Greeted by another nice lady who told me I could go ahead and hook up my Tesla app and the car will show up now.

* Took only a few mins for our delivery contact to be there. I had already identified our car sitting out in the sun using the "flash my car's lights" in the app. We proceeded to walk outside to the car (open parking lot in the sun).

* Tesla agent told us we can take a few pics with the car and then sign papers. I asked to do an inspection first. He said No! Our process is to sign papers first. I insisted on the inspection first. He agreed to let us do that then.

* We proceeded to look through the car while he was standing on our heads right in front of the car. I felt a bit pressured but continued to look through the car while he was standing in front, looking at us.

* One of the falcon wing doors seemed slightly misaligned but was able to open / close properly. It was hitting the side panel with a slight BUMP!. The other door was smoother.

* Requested the tesla agent to have that looked at. He tried to convince me that is not necessary and that this is fine. If any issues, service center can take care of it later. I insisted this needs to be looked at. He agreed to take it in the back to have it looked at.

* We maybe took 5-7 mins looking through the car. Except some mis-aligned carpet pieces, everything else seemed OK. Did not look through the display / MCU, etc. Only interior. Keys were sitting on the dashboard in a closed box.

* We then proceeded to sign papers. First, sat out in front of the building on the table outside and then had to request him to take us inside as it was a bit warm out.

* Paper signing - Took him 2 round trips to their documentation team to go back and forth on some questions.

* Then we thought we were done and our advisor went back to get the temporary registration while we waited.

* They took the car to have the door checked. Nothing wrong. The bump on one of the doors is normal they said. They brought it back.

* The car next to us had their orientation going on with the new owners in the driver seat and tesla advisor helping them through the car.

* I wanted a quick into for my wife so asked if we can go ahead with that intro while waiting for temporary registration. Our advisor said we don't do that anymore. They only show you "how to put the car in drive and drive off". He literally did not even hand over the keys to us. They were sitting on the dashboard inside the car.

* After they brought the car back, we hopped in the car (without him) to start looking through the car in more detail. He went back inside to work on the paperwork.

* I asked my daughter (8 yo) and wife to look through the interior. Daughter opened both falcon wing doors and was just about to hang in / around the back seats when the delivery agent came back and asked us not to keep the falcon wing doors open for too long as "they were mechanical and can get damaged". Not sure what that meant but I said ok!

* He came back twice after that to get my signatures at a few places where he missed getting the signatures. Came back once more for insurance information. I did not get a very warm and fuzzy feeling about him knowing what he was doing.

* I had a few questions on self-present doors so he called someone else from their team to assist.

And thats it. We drove off, without anyone telling us how to put the car in drive. :)

Some pics - IMG_4033.JPG IMG_5722.JPG IMG_8908.JPG

....hook up my Tesla app and the car will show up now...

Very nice service that you could connect your app to your new car during delivery, actually, even before you sign for delivery!

The app wouldn't recognize my new car after my 45 minute delivery and I was told it was expected because there was a delay for each new car!

Nice color choice. Should be picking up my blue/white MX 75D next week.

Your delivery experience sounded like sh*t though and your delivery guy didnt want to be bothered.

Im going to go in expecting that i guess, they are too busy nowadays to give a real personal experience any more it seems. My DS cant even be bothered to return my emails.

Reactions: dalfry
Sounds like an over-stretched delivery centre with flustered reps to me! Ours was a much more relaxed experience in the UK. Our car wasn’t perfect on delivery but no major issues and the service centre staff are very friendly and keen to resolve any issues. The car is amazing too!

how do you like the 7 seat config? think the last row is usable?

This is a 6 seat config. Much roomier than the 7 seater.

One of my daughter's friends (8 yo) has a 7 seater in their family and she hates it. The last two seats are too claustrophobic for the kids. In the 6 seater, its even useable by smaller adults with that space in the middle to stretch out the legs.

Our pooch loves it too that he gets dedicated space between the seats on comfortable carpet to sit on.

OP Blue/white beautiful combo ! Congrats !! Where did you do delivery and did you get some swag :oops:?

Thanks. Yes, the white seats make the interior look very bright and roomy without looking tacky!

Delivery was at Fremont, just down the road from the factory and the only "swag" was the box that the keys came in. :)

The delivery agent did not even walk us through which accessories were included in the frunk.

Reactions: P85_DA
Not sure. Also have not had a chance to fully test out the doors yet. They have refused to close / open twice in the past 3 days. So will need to do some more focused testing in a few different locations.

Check for paint scuffs on interior jam(towards rear tire ) ...that was problem area early on that required adjustments