Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Brake front rotors for Model 3/Y retrofit using CTS-V calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that are interested, R&D has been completed and rotors are ready to go into production with a completion timeframe of 3-4 weeks. If anyone still wants to hop in this buy, please message me and I will provide the link to purchase.

Here's some info on the rotors.

This design uses our existing D1-147 ring (370x34mm ring that is widely used on Corvette, Camaro, etc. applications). This means the caliper can use a standard D1405 brake pad – we have street and race pads available in this shape, and it is commonly available across almost all brands as well. These replacement rings are a stocked item that we carry on a regular basis, so there is no worry of being stranded without rings down the road.

Final price is $1200/pair for assemblies (center hat + rings). We priced it to match the A1-147 Corvette part number, which feels fair given it is essentially the same amount of material and machine time. The bonus would be no extra charge for the R&D for customizing it to the Model 3 application.

The hat’s thickness is the same as our Model 3 Performance part number – meaning, it eliminates the stepped hub issue, and it appears that the same part number can be put on both Model 3 and Model 3 Performance hubs.

For those that are interested, R&D has been completed and rotors are ready to go into production with a completion timeframe of 3-4 weeks. If anyone still wants to hop in this buy, please message me and I will provide the link to purchase.

Here's some info on the rotors.
Have you sourced the dowels for caliper to spindle reduction yet? I don't think the term "timesert" is the correct term for this piece but I may be wrong. I most likely will purchase after seeing this installed.

Have you sourced the dowels for caliper to spindle reduction yet? I don't think the term "timesert" is the correct term for this piece but I may be wrong. I most likely will purchase after seeing this installed.
No dowels available.

Best option to use the stock M12x1.75 bolts is to get the calipers machined with Timeserts to go from M14x2.0 to M12x1.75.

Other option is to drill a 9/16" bit into the caliper mounting ears on the knuckle to allow the M14 bolts to pass through. In the future if you wanted to go back to stock, then a simple 1mm thick x 12mm ID aluminum tube can be used as a shim between the M12 bolt and bored 14mm mounting ears.

@TwoK4drSi while a timesert is doable, it’s a pain in the butt to find the correct sert to use. One of my calipers have been modified this way, but when I get it back I’m going to remove it and bore out mounting holes on the knuckles.

The best method is what @drpheta posted above. Also keep in mind, knuckles are pretty cheap to come by as well. I paid 65 bucks ea shipped from eBay.

I used a stepped drill bit and then finished with a straight 9/16 bit.

Attachments

• 167F265F-C6B0-41F5-9083-056B42DDE880.jpeg
    167F265F-C6B0-41F5-9083-056B42DDE880.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 141
  • C108344B-5216-4739-96F3-F80759BDA3FE.jpeg
    C108344B-5216-4739-96F3-F80759BDA3FE.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
@TwoK4drSi - if this is a mod you plan on doing, I would jump in on the group buy with us. Otherwise you would need 5 people for Girodisc to produce the rotors for you at a later date, due to the cost of production.
@TwoK4drSi 5 of us paid already, so Girodisc is ready to make this run. Like Jesse said, if you plan on getting these at some point do it now. Otherwise, you'll need find at least 4 additional buyers to get Girodisc to make another batch of 5+

Reactions: Dan Wang
@TwoK4drSi while a timesert is doable, it’s a pain in the butt to find the correct sert to use. One of my calipers have been modified this way, but when I get it back I’m going to remove it and bore out mounting holes on the knuckles.

The best method is what @drpheta posted above. Also keep in mind, knuckles are pretty cheap to come by as well. I paid 65 bucks ea shipped from eBay.

I used a stepped drill bit and then finished with a straight 9/16 bit.
What sequence did you go through to get them to bore cleanly?

@TwoK4drSi 5 of us paid already, so Girodisc is ready to make this run. Like Jesse said, if you plan on getting these at some point do it now. Otherwise, you'll need find at least 4 additional buyers to get Girodisc to make another batch of 5+
ah. Ok then I misunderstood. I thought the initial batch was 5 and then afterwards it could be purchased afterwards directly from girodisc since they already did the CAD work. Oh wells no biggie.

I compiled a list of parts that I bought for this project:

Brembo brake pad set made by Ferodo, GM Part number 171-1040 $214.72

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00559PCI6

Caliper Hardware kit with clips ACDelco part number 18K2108X: $25.42

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QBMO6Y

Brembo 6-piston caliper, GM Part number 172-2521 Yellow Front Driver Side Disc Brake Caliper: $325.33

Amazon.com

Brembo 6-piston caliper, GM Part number 172-2522 Yellow Front Passenger Side Disc Brake Caliper: $350.54

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055AT7VS/

MPP Brake lines: $155.00

Page Mill Stainless Steel Brake Lines for Tesla Model 3/Y | MPP

Caliper Brake Mounting Bolts M14x2.0x45mm: $22.99

Brembo 6 Piston Front Caliper Brake Mounting Bolts x 4 CTS-V Camaro ZL1 ZR1 Z06 | eBay

Girodisc 370mm x 34mm front rotors A1-290: $1200.00

https://girodisc.com/tesla-model-3-performance-370mm-front-rotors/ (link inactive due to group buy ended)

Reactions: jesse_le
Status
Not open for further replies.