Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Brake front rotors for Model 3/Y retrofit using CTS-V calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if this is allowed, but the thread linked has someone working with Girodisc to fabricate custom 370mm x 34mm rotors for Model 3 owners looking to retrofit CTS-V Brembo 6 piston calipers. They make rotors for MPP and many other performance companies.

We have 3 buyers ready to go, and we need 5 minimum for Girodisc to design and fab (so 2 more).

$1100 per front set with $500 deposit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear - I am not handling the money at all. Once we have the 5, I will provide the contact at Girodisc and you will pay the 500 deposit directly to them and then once the rotors are complete, the remaining is due.

Couple things to note:

1. I have a 2021 MYP and all test fitting will be done on my vehicle since I’m local to them.

2. When discussing finishing options, they will be slotted and anodized the same blueish color as the MPP rotors (Girodisc default color), however we can elect to go black but it would cost slightly more and we all need to agree on this.

3. The rotors will be utilizing ZR1 rotors with custom made hats - so purchasing replacement rotors will be easy.

@Vertego - as mention by drpheta, MPP already makes a rear upgrade and since front rotors are made by Girodisc, they will have the same finish as MPP and will match perfectly.

We almost have enough to make this happen

List of confirmed
1 . Me
2. @drpheta
3. @Dan Wang
4. @PrincessStela
5. Unclaimed

Let’s wait till the end of the week, and If we can’t get another person, then I’ll pony up the rest.

I’ve ordered a M3P and am slowly researching…. Likely to track the car a few times a year. This is not a floating setup correct? If you can point me towards some reading on the stock break setup vs. this vs. a complete kit I might be willing to order some parts before the car gets here.

Existing premade BBK options that are track worthy are limited to the following front only setups:
  • MPP StopTech STR60 kit
  • Unplugged performance Brembo GT/GTS/GTR kit
  • Redwood Motorsports AP Racing Kit
  • Rotora BBK
For upgrades that are good for AutoX you have slotted 2-piece rotors from MPP at 1100 a set

The stock performance calipers and rotors (355mm x 25mm) will fade fast on the track. For AutoX you need to upgrade the front rotors at minimum, but after some runs you might get some fade as well. Front upgraded rotors from MPP will only be thicker by 1mm, though the venting will be much better than stock.

We want to get these 370mm x 34mm 2-piece rotors made at $1100 a set that also incorporates a mostly plug and play $800 set of 6 piston calipers. Those part numbers above range from $350 per caliper to $1000 depending on what color you want. That means for about $2400 (including pads) you get a track ready front BBK with tried and true 6 piston Brembo calipers and Girodisc rotors. Pads, depending on your choice, will run around 400 a set.

Racing Brake makes a CTS-V compatible kit, but people haven't been too keen on using them from a past rotor failure and how they handled it.

Some of those BBKs mentioned above don't have dust seals, so they're not as street friendly if you don't have the luxury of perfect weather. The CTS-V/Camaro ZL1 Brembo calipers do, making them daily driver friendly.

Rear BBK is limited to the MPP Model 3 Performance BBK or Rotora, due to the integrated parking brake. However, a rear BBK isn't really necessary. The M3P rear brake with upgraded rotors will likely not fail at the track with the right pads.

Reactions: Lindenwood
41DBCADF-F34E-4694-8D9B-D3397459F68D.jpeg
CEDDB0D6-99EF-4B9D-B407-C803F9F9FBCE.jpeg
D2155C5C-C08C-47B5-9AD1-3C9FF74344FE.jpeg

Looking at the zr1 ceramics again it looks like they are 15.5" or 394mm in diameter and 36mm thick. So they wouldn't be swappable with this particular rotor. Should fit under 19's i'm assuming though, if we could get the proper hat made for them.

Last edited:
Looking at the zr1 ceramics again it looks like they are 15.5" or 394mm in diameter and 36mm thick. So they wouldn't be swappable with this particular rotor. Should fit under 19's i'm assuming though, if we could get the proper hat made for them.
You're going to need to get another 4 people to join you if you want custom hats made for the ceramic rings. GiroDisc needs a minimum run to justify a new hat to be made. Considering the really dedicated track guys on this forum are running iron rotors, do you really need ceramic rotors? You're better off putting that money into the StopTech or AP BBK if you think you'll have issues with iron rotors.

You're going to need to get another 4 people to join you if you want custom hats made for the ceramic rings. GiroDisc needs a minimum run to justify a new hat to be made. Considering the really dedicated track guys on this forum are running iron rotors, do you really need ceramic rotors? You're better off putting that money into the StopTech or AP BBK if you think you'll have issues with iron rotors.
I'm already running the st60 stoptech kit, but if girodisc will do these then ceramic zr1 rotors can be had for about $2400, calipers for ~700, custom hat cost? and some pads. Should be around the same price or even cheaper than that kit. That's a no brainer to me. The reason most dedicated track guys aren't running ceramic is the cost. Aftermarket ceramic kits are $8k which is pretty cost prohibitive. Racing-brake sells this exact setup for right around $8k! The only downside if you want to call it that is you would have to run 19's which alot of track guys are already.

Status
Not open for further replies.