Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Brake Kit Owners Question regarding factory warranty | BBK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fazooley

Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2023
NYC
Hey guys. For MSP owners who did some form of BBK upgrade, has your service center voided your warranty? Not too far from me we have a UP installer/dealer and I spoke with them this morning and he made it very clear to me the SC down here in NYC if they see them will void your entire vehicles warranty. I mean I could see them not wanting to warranty things that have to do with the brakes/rotors but find it odd they look to void everything on the vehicle. I'm kinda confused because I see TONS of people on here with new vehicles who have done these mods and cannot imagine there all just having there warranty voided. I know about the MM act but I'm kinda asking here for real world experiences and if anyone has had a problem or if they have not

Thanks in advance

Pretty sure they aren't allowed to void your warranty for modifications. They are allowed to decline warranty repairs on items that they would need to deem caused the issue but can't outright just blame your HV battery failure due to you installing brakes.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
A car manufacturer can decline warranty support if they believe the modification caused or contributed to the failure of a warranty part. The customer must then fight this and prove that the part could not have caused the failure. Unless you declined arbitration within 30 days of your purchase, you can either go to arbitration or small claims court. If the amount in dispute is more than small claims allows, you will either accept that limitation if you win, or you can go to arbitration.

A car manufacturer can decline warranty support if they believe the modification caused or contributed to the failure of a warranty part. The customer must then fight this and prove that the part could not have caused the failure. Unless you declined arbitration within 30 days of your purchase, you can either go to arbitration or small claims court. If the amount in dispute is more than small claims allows, you will either accept that limitation if you win, or you can go to arbitration.
An honestly this I could understand, you change your rotors, pads, brake lines and now if there is an issue with them we won't fix it.. Ok I get that, no issues with that. The problem is from what there telling me, they've been advised by the SC that there voiding entire vehicles warranties down here in NYC. These brakes suck and they should let us change them at our expense

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think they can do that. On the other hand, I didn't buy a new car from the local dealership because they had a high price. That dealer refused warranty or any type of service for my car -- for life of the car. The national company couldn't do anything. Sooo, is it worth the pain the dealer is likely to inflict on you, regardless of whether they can do it or not.

As @DerbyDave said, it is against the law to void an entire warranty for a modification. This is one of the provisions of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Some things may be voided by being modified, but it's not a blanket statement, and brakes especially would have nothing to do with, say, the air conditioning or door handles. Quote from this site (even though it references dealerships which don't apply here): Auto Navigator with Capital One

CAN YOU MODIFY A CAR WITHOUT VOIDING ITS WARRANTY?
The simple answer is: it depends. Modifying a vehicle can make it more difficult to maintain warranty coverage, though the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act puts the burden on the automaker to prove that a modification directly contributed to the failure of a specific component. Acting as the automaker's agent, the franchised dealership will typically decide whether, say, oversize wheels and tires contributed to early failure of an axle. On occasion, the dealership may reach out to the automaker on your behalf to seek a resolution—though these situations are relatively rare.
What a dealership and an automaker cannot do, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, is void a warranty simply because a modification is present. For instance, a lowered suspension with aftermarket springs and shocks is highly unlikely to directly contribute to an inoperative power door lock. In this case, the automaker should cover repair of the faulty door lock.
The crappy thing is that Tesla may initially deny warranty coverage and make you fight for something you should not have to fight for. Some SCs seem better/worse than others on this.

So two things
1> This is exactly what he is telling me they are doing for the brake kits

What a dealership and an automaker cannot do, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, is void a warranty simply because a modification is present. For instance, a lowered suspension with aftermarket springs and shocks is highly unlikely to directly contribute to an inoperative power door lock. In this case, the automaker should cover repair of the faulty door lock.

2>
What they do not care about, and are not voiding, caring or even questioning : Frunk/Trunk Power Kit, Wheels/Rims, LED Interior/Exterior lights, Spoilers, etc.

To me the above would FAR constitute a problem when splicing, cutting wires and tapping into power. He says however they could care less about this to his wonder. The guy I spoke to was very nice and re-iterated to me he'd be happy to take my money but I need to understand he does speak with the SC every month or two to follow up on what there braking balls about and what there not and apparently if they even SEE that the brakes/rotors are installed on the vehicle even WITHOUT any issues there flagging the vin. I think maybe I need to take a trip to the NJ SC and have a talk with the service manager down there as maybe they have a different outlook on this

I've always modified my cars, my 458 is straight piped, full F1 exhaust and novitec lowering springs. Mind you, the dealer installed all this and then added the warranty onto my vehicle LOL. Does anyone use a SC in the central NJ area they could recommend maybe?

Tesla service were the ones who told me to go aftermarket and i have still had warranty work done by them too.
Where are you located? I only bought this thing 3 weeks ago so I don't know the ins and outs yet. Nor have I had a chance to grease any of the service guys to get the down low. Only what the UP installer told me and I cannot see why he would lie, its a loss of a 7-10k sale

Where are you located? I only bought this thing 3 weeks ago so I don't know the ins and outs yet. Nor have I had a chance to grease any of the service guys to get the down low. Only what the UP installer told me and I cannot see why he would lie, its a loss of a 7-10k sale
Socal, and unplugged performance themselves did my brakes. I called tesla directly asking if the rear caliper changed like it shows on the website is there going to be a retrofit and they straight up told me either go aftermarket or get the CCB kit from Tesla. I just got my car back from service a couple days ago and they had to replace my rear drive unit cable and didn't mention any issues with my brakes or the stainless steel brake lines I have on the car either.

Socal, and unplugged performance themselves did my brakes. I called tesla directly asking if the rear caliper changed like it shows on the website is there going to be a retrofit and they straight up told me either go aftermarket or get the CCB kit from Tesla. I just got my car back from service a couple days ago and they had to replace my rear drive unit cable and didn't mention any issues with my brakes or the stainless steel brake lines I have on the car either.

I mean this makes total sense to me, I don't know why they have such a hardon down here in NYC. I have an appt at the SC in 10 days and will ask them myself at that point. Upgrading to there CCB is an option but honestly I wasn't looking forward to spending 20k when I can spend less then half that for steelies as I'm never tracking this thing. Much appreciate the replies also

Rather than BBK, I opted for a Two-Piece rotor setup. Drops rotational mass yet retains the OEM rotor dimensions and calipers. Pair that with an Ohmmu light weight battery and I’ve shaved ~57 pounds of mass.

I used Paragon Brakes for the two-piece and they are a direct fit with no fuss.

Reactions: Fazooley
I mean this makes total sense to me, I don't know why they have such a hardon down here in NYC. I have an appt at the SC in 10 days and will ask them myself at that point. Upgrading to there CCB is an option but honestly I wasn't looking forward to spending 20k when I can spend less then half that for steelies as I'm never tracking this thing. Much appreciate the replies also

Yea I wanted to stay on 19s so I wasnt interested in their CCB kit. Also didnt want to spend the 20k. But I had a Two-piece rotor set up in the oem size before u got the front CCB and they were great.

Yea I wanted to stay on 19s so I wasnt interested in their CCB kit. Also didnt want to spend the 20k. But I had a Two-piece rotor set up in the oem size before u got the front CCB and they were great.
Congrats on your car thats a beautiful combination. I'm hoping they tell me it's no issue, otherwise I'll just have them put the CCB from Tesla on. Might be decent for resale having a car with all options, or, it could be a waste of money and make people stay away due to high replacement rotor costs. Most people don't realize CCB rotors last way over 100k if your not tracking the car over and over and over