TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Big dilema . . . Do it now or later (Jan 15)

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Pilot4hire, Aug 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Pilot4hire

Pilot4hire Member

Hello, I am debating and need a little help. Should I get one one, demo version or wait until 2015, I do like to have all the goodies and I don't know if there is anything neat coming in the next 4 or so months... Any suggestions ? I would wait if I knew that the outside mirror would be gone, but then again, since everything is kept in secret until it hits the pavement, ?!? Any one know something I should know??? Thanks in advance.

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

All I know is that the biggest goody is driving the car and waiting deprives you of that.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

With high tech products one can always wait based on the assumption that something even cooler is coming along in a few months. And then you will wait, and wait, and wait, and never get to enjoy the car.

Why wait?

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Jan 15 is a long time away.

5. evme

evme Member

#5 evme, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    There is always going to be new stuff, the best way to go about it is asking yourself, is there anything you are waiting for? That should be the benchmark. Tesla does do updates but not on a yearly schedule, they update things when they are ready. There will always be new stuff, no way around it.

As for outside mirrors, you mean side mirrors? If that is what you mean, that is beyond Tesla's choice. The NHTSA has regulations on the books that prevents removing/replacing those. Tesla and other automotive manufacturers are petitioning the NHTSA to remove that requirement. How long that takes depends on your faith in efficiency of government.

Also a side note, you probably should post in the Model S section and not news, that gets more views anyways.

6. Pilot4hire

Pilot4hire Member

All you guys are right on... Long story, I put a deposit in OR, CO had one that I wanted, went to look it was out as a loaner, they were going to call me when it came back, I was ready to drive it home... next call I get was to let me know is was sold, talk about being shot in the heart... now they are on hold, can sell anything, sometimes you just can't win... Thanks for the advise, I do agree get it now and enjoy as life is too short.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I will go back and find Model S. Yes, side mirrors, I guess NHTSA is as good as FAA, they are there to help right ?

7. galangg

galangg Member

It's tech, no different than a high end computer. 6 months from now, something better will be out. So, you can always talk yourself into waiting, indefinitely. If you want it and can afford it, get it.

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

My joy at driving a Model S for the past 10 months overwhelmingly outweighs my virtually imperceptible regret at not having the features that became available subsequently.