Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big dilemma: buy model s now or wait the 29th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

Need some inputs here, it's a tough decision in front of me.

I found what I consider a very good deal on a nice inventory car. I get approximately a 10% rebate (combination of price increase here in Switzerland + inventory discount) on a car that's more or less what I want.
Due to the good deal, there is a very good chance this car get sold tomorrow (Saturday)

On the other end, the MX reveal will come around on the 29th and might bring new things to the MS.
Ventilated seat or minor improvement wouldn't make me regret the above purchase, but new cpu, new cameras, new design would be tough to digest!

Basically, either I take that good deal right now, or I wait until 29th of sept and probably lose it but I will know what comes next and can then decide btw new or another inventory which most likely will be more expensive (due to price increase) and probably without the referal program benefits... So an expected price difference of 5k for the same car...

So losing 5k in order to wait for the 29th or not...

As with anything high tech, there's always an upgrade or a price drop around the corner. And while you keep waiting for the perfect time to buy, the rest of us will be driving around in the best can in the world and be thrilled with our decision.
Seriously, if you found an inventory car that you like, just buy it.

Can I ask your reasoning on this? Not disagreeing but curious to know how you came to that conclusion?

Value. The Signature Model X is going to bring some things to the table that are new to Tesla. Given the cost to be a Signature Holder it would seem only logical to not dilute the value of that by immediately bringing key features over to the S. Even still, it's pretty clear that Tesla is still having some supply chain problems with the Model X, whether by their own doing or not, which will limit component availability for at least a quarter or so. Tesla isn't going to risk delaying Model X deliveries just so they can bring whatever feature to the Model S rapidly.

All of this is just conjecture by me but it makes logical sense, at least to me... :)

Jeff

I was just in the same boat then jumped out.

The reality is nothing you're going to see next Tuesday is going to make it into the S anytime soon. I'd take the deal on the inventory car you like.

Jeff

It makes little sense for Tesla to continue making Model S cars with a different CPU/GPU, a different set of sensors, etc. from the Model X. They need to combine Model S and Model X parts where ever possible to increase the order sizes from suppliers to reduce cost.

Some of the improvements will almost certainly roll into to the Model S, just like the small improvements that roll into the Model S each month, like LTE.

Here is the list of additional improvements that came along with the AWD and Auto Pilot Hardware changes last year (from Blog | Tesla Motors)

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updated steering column control module
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad

Last edited:
It makes little sense for Tesla to continue making Model S cars with a different CPU/GPU, a different set of sensors, etc. from the Model X. They need to combine Model S and Model X parts where ever possible to increase the quality order from suppliers reduce cost.
Agreed. They'll use the Model S to eat through whatever stock of those components they have left (and they do run pretty lean), and then make the switch. I wouldn't be surprised if the lag is only a few months for the common stuff (displays, sensors, etc as you noted). Expect longer for parts that are similar but not directly shared (like ventilated seats, for example).

If it were me, I'd wait. Not because of feature improvements, because as an inventory/CPO buyer you wouldn't be getting those anyway, but because there are going to be tons of Model S turned in during upgrades to Model X. Expect the market to be flooded with them over the coming year. The Model X will broadly expand Tesla's reach in the market, eventually bringing in a lot of first-time Tesla buyers, but a large chunk of those early reservations went to Roadster/Model S owners.

If you found the perfect car, snag it. But otherwise, there will be a lot more available very soon.

Whatever the timing of the transfer of new X features over to the S, perhaps what we see 9/29 will establish the known universe of what MIGHT be transferred (in the short-term and/or hardware dependent) and most S buyers waiting on the fence can decide if we want to wait or not.

Thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated!

So to summarize, you would recommend to lose 5/6k over the course of the next few years in order to wait to see what happens Tuesday... I am not sure...

God, can't succeed to make that decision...

So to summarize, you would recommend to lose 5/6k over the course of the next few years in order to wait to see what happens Tuesday... I am not sure...

Some things to consider (I've been thinking a lot about this as I'm in the same boat):

• Worst case, there are no changes and you will loose that particular car. Don't worry, there will be other, possibly even better deals to come along.
  • If they announce a feature your really want (360 camera, better sensor suite, fast CPU/GPU, whatever you are interested in) it may take away from your enjoyment of your new car. Only you know how you will react, and what that is worth to you.
  • They very well may announce the dropping of the 85kWh sized battery, so could 90 become standard and not a $3000 option. That right there would remove 1/2 your savings.
  • If the inventory car is older, does it have LTE? That $500 to upgrade.
  • Does it have only the features you want? If it has anything you would not order on a custom build, don't count those items as savings. For example, if it has 21" wheels and you would order 19's, that's $4500 extra you are paying to "save" $5000.

lluping provides great advice above. Personally, I would take deeply about what s/he said. Beyond that, you could always put a deposit down on the inventory car, but not proceed with the purchase until after Tuesday. If you then like what you see announced, you can lose the deposit or maybe transfer it to a new purchase. Worst case scenario, you are out just the deposit, but you "reserved" this inventory car.