Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big electric trucks and SUVs are the new gas guzzlers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2016. And they've responded.

It was a percentage of a percentage of a percentage in any case. That is, a large percentage from central Africa, percentage of the that product came from artisanal mines (less productive than larger mines), and a percentage of those artisanal mines used child labor. More a case of pressure to audit their supply chains than a large problem.

Reactions: finman100
suv%20energy%20russia%20(3).jpg

There are two ways of looking at energy: 1. the way it is produced, and 2. the way it is used.
It will take a long time before renewables will take over from burning fossils for generating electricity.
Able to use your own solar panels, well good for you. Not everyone can.

My point is: why waste energy if this also handicaps our ability to go from A to B?

If you're 'wasting' energy that would have been wasted anyway..... why does it matter?

Renewable Energy Curtailment 101: The Problem That’s Actually Not a Problem At All

Well - to be fair - autonomous cars could allow significanly less traffic. I mean look at the space between cars in the pic.
I even think just electric cars will allow a bit more speed in traffic - better response time to accelerator push. But the real problem is the person in the driver's seat.
Most serious people realize that efficiency is important and large vehicles for 1 occupant are the opposite of efficient. But, we have issues with what our infrastructure is built for. And you can't get rid of large SUVs overnight. It would be nice if we could at least stop selling them or taxing them into oblivion like some countries do. That isn't a problem of electrification - it is a problem of how our infrastructure - including existing auto fleet - was built.
You may not know this but most people in the US don't see traffic like that on a daily basis. The average commute time in the US is 28 minutes. That isn't great but considering our desire to have land and spread out, it isn't horrible. The best number I can find in the EU is 25 minutes. Yeah - that 3 minutes isn't motivating anyone.
Mine is 12-15 depending on the day. I live in a 2M metro area my job moves a bit with time so it is hard to optimize it - but I am satisfied with my commute. 10 years ago it was 5-8 min though - which was distance related and nothing to do with traffic.

Little secret: US grid is actually 240 volt (electric ovens, ranges, dryers, AC, all 240v).
Amp ranges in world vary, I think all top out at 16 amps
Don’t think so. The 240v circuits in my home for these and other appliances are a combination of two 120v circuits in every case. And amperage is based on wire, breaker size and desire. I have several circuits that far exceed 16 amps; the stove alone is 50 amps and my EVSE circuit is 60.

Quote "My point is: why waste energy if this also handicaps our ability to go from A to B?"

Quote "My point is: If you're wasting energy that would have been wasted anyway via curtailment... why does it matter?"

Traffic congestion is a separate issue and I agree mass transit is a better solution but we shouldn't allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. A 3 ton EV is still better than a 2 ton ICE.

Don’t think so. The 240v circuits in my home for these and other appliances are a combination of two 120v circuits in every case. And amperage is based on wire, breaker size and desire. I have several circuits that far exceed 16 amps; the stove alone is 50 amps and my EVSE circuit is 60.
It is so.
240, with 50A at ready.
How else can we have Level 2 chargers at home.

(Edit additional: OR if you don't want to watch, @cpaull wrote it out below. Thanks cpaull)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: voyager and cpaull
US Homes typically have 4 main wires going into the electric box from the power company.
2 hot wires, a neutral wire, and a ground wire.
240V AC is delivered between the 2 hot wires. This typically powers the high power appliances like electric dryer, electric range, EV charger, etc.
From hot to neutral you see 120V AC. This is how most of the outlets and lighting is powered in a home.
The ground is a safety path in case of short circuit or other issue to help prevent people getting electrocuted.