Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Eye Bolt Thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

This is my first post. I just received my new 2017 Model S 75D last Saturday (Aug 19, 2017), and the whole experience has been wonderful. The new Littleton, Colorado Tesla Service Center and delivery experience was great!

So then, I was driving around, all is well, but then, while making corners on street, I would hear this thud sound way in the back. Got home and deep in the bottom part of the trunk was this large black eye hook thing. It's heavy and has threads at the end. I've no idea what this is for.

eyehook.JPG

Is this used for towing? Should I keep this in my car? What ever this is, it seems well made.

Many thanks for any insight.

Sincerely

Jim

Tow eye it is. Mine was in the trunk compartment bouncing around as well. Good thing to have. Wouldn't want to see the hooks of death from a tow truck on the undercarriage of a Model S. There are a few threads that go about how to install one in the front of the car. Maybe a good thing to learn rather than have the Tow truck driver try to learn on your car :)

Welcome Jim!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

This is my first post. I just received my new 2017 Model S 75D last Saturday (Aug 19, 2017), and the whole experience has been wonderful. The new Littleton, Colorado Tesla Service Center and delivery experience was great!

So then, I was driving around, all is well, but then, while making corners on street, I would hear this thud sound way in the back. Got home and deep in the bottom part of the trunk was this large black eye hook thing. It's heavy and has threads at the end. I've no idea what this is for.

View attachment 242792

Is this used for towing? Should I keep this in my car? What ever this is, it seems well made.

Many thanks for any insight.

Sincerely

Jim
Page 173 of the manual

It goes in a separate section of the UMC bag. It can't touch anything else. In case you haven't noticed the bag has two zippers.
See my sig, I don't have my car yet.... :D I have heard that it's supposed to go in the bag, though! Thanks for the clarification, it's good to know that Tesla planned ahead that much (or the bag always had an extra pouch for miscellaneous items). Still, too bad that they got rid of the dedicated spot in the frunk for it, that's a better answer, I do think.

The bolt was made about 2 inches longer for the new front cars (not the old nosecone). Unfortunately, Tesla still gives you the same UMC storage back (which as pointed out by @murphyS90D has a loop to store the bolt). As a result, the new tow-bolt won't fit in the UMC bag unless you want it sticking out several inches.

My solution was to put the bolt in the side storage area of the trunk and then set the UMC storage bag above it. It doesn't seem to slide around . Not an optimal solution but all we have for now.
@JonMc Here's another area where the design folks should be looking at a small change the next time Tesla orders a new lot of UMC storage bags...redesign it to accommodate the bigger bolt or at least give us a plastic sleeve/case of some sort to put the bolt in so it doesn't bang things up.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I made the SC people show me how to put the hook in the UMC bag and it was kind of funny. It doesn't fit but it was borderline a "there is no spoon" moment. So it just stays in the bottom of the trunk in the bag and doesn't make any nose.

I keep the J1772 adapter in the little cardboard box my iPhone plug kit came in. I also put my chargepoint card and an emergency microfiber towel in there. Then the box goes in the glovebox.

Thanks everyone for all the great info! The eye bolt is too long to fit in my UMC bag. I went with drklain's suggestion and put the eye bolt to the far left in the trunk and then putting the UMC bag next to it. So far it keeps the eye bolt from sliding around. No more thud sounds while cornering.

Cheers!

Jim

Reactions: DrivingRockies
My pleasure. Confused me as well as I was trying to figure out where to store it and my DS told me (via email) it goes in the UMC bag. When I told him it didn't fit, we ended up comparing bags and bolts to an old-style one. That's when he realized my bolt was longer. I also asked him about the J1772 adapter spot in glove box and he told me it was no longer there/redesigned glove box.

How about getting some velcro strapping (the plastic split loop half not the fuzzy half) and just press a couple strips of that down over the tow hook in the trunk to keep it from rolling around? It should stick the fuzzy trunk liner.

Reactions: Abqnative