Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big increase in PG&E E-9 rates (N. Cal.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In anticipation of getting my Model S, I switched to the E-9A plan last month. I decided to do this now after I did some calculations based on historic hourly usage data that is available for the months we have had our Smart Meter. Today I got my first bill under the E-9A plan and my average rate is actually two cents lower than with the previous E-1 plan (same consumption): $0.20 versus $0.22.

Per my bill, I was charged the following rates:

Summer Peak Usage
Baseline Usage: $0.30178
101-130% of Baseline: $0.31994
131-200% of Baseline: $0.50036
201-300% of Baseline: $0.54036

Summer Partial Peak Usage
Baseline Usage: $0.09876
101-130% of Baseline: $0.11692
131-200% of Baseline: $0.29734
201-300% of Baseline: $0.33734

Summer Off-Peak Usage
Baseline Usage: $0.03743
101-130% of Baseline: $0.05559
131-200% of Baseline: $0.15808
201-300% of Baseline: $0.19808

Winter Partial Peak Usage
Baseline Usage: $0.09864
101-130% of Baseline: $0.11679
131-200% of Baseline: $0.29721
201-300% of Baseline: $0.33721

Winter Off-Peak Usage
Baseline Usage: $0.04680
101-130% of Baseline: $0.06495
131-200% of Baseline: $0.15808
201-300% of Baseline: $0.19808

Note that winter rates are in effect since 11/1, and there is no winter peak rate apparently.

Assuming that when I get my Model S I'll stay within my current tiers, I will be paying about 20 cents per KwH if I charge my car in the off-peak hours. That amounts to about $71 added to my bill each month with 1,000 miles per month driving.

Still pretty cheap compared to my current Kia Optima's fuel cost of $280 per month.

I don't know the rates for Ties 5. But I'm looking forward to the new EV schedule where they will do away with tiering all together. Does anyone know if that schedule has been approved and when it will become effective?

Thanks for posting the actual E9 rate. I am also in the process of switching over to E9a now that I have my MS. Do you happen to know the kWh quota for each tier? I understand it varies from region to region? But I can't imagine it being too much difference between Menlo Park and East Bay. I can't seem to find this information in PG&E website. Based on your calculation, how much $ per month will you be saving once EV rate becomes available in summer?

Thanks for posting the actual E9 rate. I am also in the process of switching over to E9a now that I have my MS. Do you happen to know the kWh quota for each tier? I understand it varies from region to region? But I can't imagine it being too much difference between Menlo Park and East Bay. I can't seem to find this information in PG&E website. Based on your calculation, how much $ per month will you be saving once EV rate becomes available in summer?

It's of page 6 of the E-9 tariff: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-9.pdf
You'll also need preliminary statement A to decode the regional identifiers: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_PRELIM_A.pdf
Most everything you'll ever want to know on PG&E rates is somewhere in the tariffs site: Pacific Gas & Electric - Tariffs

It's of page 6 of the E-9 tariff: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-9.pdf
You'll also need preliminary statement A to decode the regional identifiers: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_PRELIM_A.pdf
Most everything you'll ever want to know on PG&E rates is somewhere in the tariffs site: Pacific Gas & Electric - Tariffs

California has regulated us to the most expensive rates ever! Compare our rates to those elsewhere around the world and we are almost without exception the most expensive. It almost makes it mandatory that everyone has some solar or wind generation to keep you off of the top tiers. Baseline is hard to stay under, and impossible with an electric car.

California has regulated us to the most expensive rates ever! Compare our rates to those elsewhere around the world and we are almost without exception the most expensive. It almost makes it mandatory that everyone has some solar or wind generation to keep you off of the top tiers. Baseline is hard to stay under, and impossible with an electric car.

And they've been using primarily natural gas to generate electricity which is at all time lows.

Will schedule EV make that pointless, since there will be no more tiers??

While there won't be tiers for the new schedule, doing a second meter lets you charge at the relatively cheap $0.10/kWh rate without making your existing daytime usage move into a $0.36/kWh rate. Look at your bill and see what you're current paying per kWh and try to figure out how much of that is Peak or Part-Peak.

Hard? Make that impossible! Baseline for us here in San Diego is something like 315 kWh/mo. 10 kWh per day barely covers the fridge, DVR's, alarm clocks and compact fluorescent bulbs that we've installed.

Before the Volt and Tesla, we were at about 30 kWh per day.

It's the same in San Jose. Baseline is 320 or so.

Even WITH a 3.5k system is average 500-600 in the summer and in the winter closer to 1,500.

The answer turns to Alexander the Great. Don't worry about electrical rates at all. Do like Alexander did when he cut the Gordian Knot--solve the problem a different way.

The way I did it was to put Solar Panels up. Covers my entire electical bill and saves $2 grand a year in gas costs. The system pays for itself in 6 years.

On the other hand, as my son pointed out, "Gee, dad, that's great. You save $2 grand a year. So looking at the cost of the car, how many years until you break even?"

!@#$%^ little buggers! You teach them to think and reason and they use it against you!

(He has Signature Red Model S #261, BTW, so he didn't listen to his own argument!)

I just made some corrections and modifications to my "E9" -> "Schedule EV" comparison post, which is located here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6572-Big-increase-in-PG-amp-E-E-9-rates-(N-Cal-)?p=166737&viewfull=1#post166737

It's still hard to tell if you'll be better off with the new rate or not. If you're on E9 now, you can hold onto that until the end of 2014.

Edit: I just ran the numbers on my past 18months of EV usage (~1000 miles/month), where I go into Tier 5 during the Winter months, but only Tier 4 during many of the Summer months. My average overall is just under 20cents/kWh under E9A, including all charges (around 24,000 kWh and $4775). A solid 50% of my usage is during off-peak periods, 30% part-peak, and 20% full-peak.

If I run the new EV Schedule numbers with the same peak/part/off-peak draws, it comes to $855 in total savings, which is about $47/month. I then have to reduce that savings by 18 months times whatever the meter and other fees/taxes/garbage costs - but those can't be $45/month so the new pricing is better for me, assuming the new TOU periods don't mess with my overall TOU balance.

So, I plan on calling PG&E and seeing when I can switch to the new plan. It's somewhat of a crap shoot, because once you switch out, you can't switch back.

Last edited:

You can thank all the global warming hysteria and the carbon taxes. This is all by design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvM3EAUN0Vk

I called PGE. The new rates aren't slated to be available until June or July.

I also did another analysis of my current usage. It's hard to figure what tiering will cost you, but I have over 18 months of data that I can just boil down to hours/TOU period and cost/kWh per month.

Luckily for the analysis, the new rate plan doesn't have tiers and doesn't vary the TOU between Summer and Winter. Only the rates in Summer and Winter vary. So, I calculated my current percentage use of Peak, Part-Peak, and Off-Peak during the Summer months only, since those are currently the only months that break it down that way. I got 16.25% Peak, 31.25% Part, and 52.5% Off.

Now, even though the times are slightly different, they're more alike than different, so assuming the same percentage use under the new plan you can calculate the costs simply by multiplying those percentages by the new rates.

Winter should be, for me, an average of $0.146/kWh, versus $0.16 I pay on average today.
Summer should be, for me, an average of 0.154/kWh, versus $0.22 I pay on average today.

Note that the new sums don't include the fixed overhead costs in the new plan, but I don't think those are significant enough in summer to matter. Winter may end up being a wash at worst, but I'll save at least a nickel a kWh in the summer.

I think.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else on E9A today thinks the new rates will do to their bill.

If I run the new EV Schedule numbers with the same peak/part/off-peak draws, it comes to $855 in total savings, which is about $47/month. I then have to reduce that savings by 18 months times whatever the meter and other fees/taxes/garbage costs - but those can't be $45/month so the new pricing is better for me, assuming the new TOU periods don't mess with my overall TOU balance.
Are there new/higher fixed fees w/ Schedule EV vs E9A?

I ran my numbers a few pages back and figured SEV would save us money and that was before we added our Model S. I'll run the numbers again with Model S load added. The other benefit is that I wouldn't have to stay up as late to wait to plug in our Model S (rimshot).

I just got a new meter installed and applied for E9B. Having it dedicated to the car should make it a lot easier to calculate. 60 miles per day and an average of 330 Wh/mi means about 20 kWh per day. Taking our baseline (territory X) into account, and using only off-peak power, we would average about 12 cents per kWh... I think the new schedule EV would be an improvement at around 10-cents per kWh.

So, the final rates are out: http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_4231-E.pdf

Slight raises on the summer Peak and Part-Peak.

Summer:

TypeCurrent E9ANew Schedule EV
Peak30-54 cents38 cents
Part-Peak10-34 cents21 cents
Off-Peak5-20 cents10 cents

TypeCurrent E9A M-FNew Schedule EV M-F Current E9A WeekendsNew Schedule EV Weekends
Peak2pm-9pm2pm-9pm No Peak3pm-7pm
Part-Peak7am-2pm & 9pm-midnite7am-2pm & 9pm-11pm 5pm-9pmNo Part-Peak
Off-Peakmid-7am11pm-7am 9pm-5pm7pm-3pm

Winter:

TypeCurrent E9ANew Schedule EV
PeakNo Peak in Winter27 cents
Part-Peak10-34 cents16 cents
Off-Peak5-20 cents10 cents

TypeCurrent E9A M-FNew Schedule EV M-F Current E9A WeekendsNew Schedule EV Weekends
PeakNo Peak2pm-9pm No Peak3pm-7pm
Part-Peak7am-midnite7am-2pm & 9pm-11pm 5pm-9pmNo Part-Peak
Off-Peakmid-7am11pm-7am 9pm-5pm7pm-3pm