Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Island electricity costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just looked up the residential rate for the Big Island and see it is like 34 cents / kWh.

Here in the SF Bay Area electricity runs about 12 - 20 cents / KWh.
My average cost is just under 15 cents.

Supercharger here is 26 cents / kWh.

So 34 cents / kWh is ~probably~ less than buying gasoline on the Big Island.
But is steep compared to the mainland (which is expected).

We’re considering moving to Waimea from the SF Bay Area (but not soon ) and I’m really curious on the EV charging situation.

I’m wondering how folks in Hawaii (and more specifically the Big Island) feel about the cost savings of an EV.
(Assuming charging at home.)
Still less cost than gasoline?

Does it make sense to install solar?
Or install a wind powered generator?

Thx for info on this.

We live in Kona and have had our model S for a year and a half. We have a roof top solar setup that covers most of the charging. Even paying for electricity is still cheaper than buying gas here.
Roof top solar is very popular on the Big Island.
In Waimea you could probably have a wind generator aswell since it is windy quite often there.

Everything seems more expensive in the islands. Both gas and electricity costs more. Hawaii needs to run diesels to make electricity in the high demand times.

Solar is the best solution for both home and governmental.
Tesla is installing lots of battery backups for the government in Hawaii.

i just looked up the residential rate for the Big Island and see it is like 34 cents / kWh.

Here in the SF Bay Area electricity runs about 12 - 20 cents / KWh.
My average cost is just under 15 cents.

Supercharger here is 26 cents / kWh.

So 34 cents / kWh is ~probably~ less than buying gasoline on the Big Island.
But is steep compared to the mainland (which is expected).

We’re considering moving to Waimea from the SF Bay Area (but not soon ) and I’m really curious on the EV charging situation.

I’m wondering how folks in Hawaii (and more specifically the Big Island) feel about the cost savings of an EV.
(Assuming charging at home.)
Still less cost than gasoline?

Does it make sense to install solar?
Or install a wind powered generator?

Thx for info on this.
Hi Jeff,

Electricity is more costly here. However, even at the current rate, the cost is at parity or less than a comparable conventional gas-powered car.

It does make sense to install solar - nothing beats being able to power your vehicle with solar. State and Fed tax incentives also make it very attractive.

Noel

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffcm3