Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BIG ISSUE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!

New here :)

So, I've the model X (the one before the last one) and I've got a big issue.

My son have found the keys and drove the car last night. I didn't say him that I know it, because I want ser if I can trust him.

Look : I wanna know if it's possible to set a notification on the Tesla App to know when someone is using it. Do you think this is possible ? Or do you think that I have to check on the App to see if the car's moving ?

@FrenchY, one possible option is to plug the car in at night. If someone unplugs it, you should get a notification that the car stopped charging (assuming you have Notifications turned on for "Charging Interrupted"). Of course, if he waits until the car is fully charged, then you won't get that notification.

Also, put it into Valet mode after you park it for the evening. That way it has speed limitations.

Look : I wanna know if it's possible to set a notification on the Tesla App to know when someone is using it. Do you think this is possible ? Or do you think that I have to check on the App to see if the car's moving ?

It's not possible with the app itself, but maybe there's a 3rd party app that does it?

In the API the the drive_state object will tell you if the car is being driven or not, and if so you can get the speed, lat/long and other useful info. So it would be possible to check that every few minutes, and raise an alert when it switches to drive.

May be just install a Dashcam!

I have a Blackvue so I have video, speed, acceleration and breaking, and GPS information.

Well, your kid could disconnect the camera or remove the memory card...
But you can have the On-the cloud all the time transmission, so you will know if it is disconnected.

You can even be able to talk directly with the driver or listen from your home using the dashcam.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
VisibleTesla - you can set all kinds of custom notificaitons for when unplugged, when leaves or enters different geo areas, etc. Just know that it only sends simple email notifications, but hey you can have then ITFF do tons with an email, flash lights, etc hehehe depending on your smart home ;-)

- have to keep the app running on a PC/mac during that whole time.
- the last version may show a model S instead of X, but all still works (not sunroof of course).
- the last version does not let us click on location tab, crashes. Just avoid that tab and its fine.

They now offer a tamper-proof case to prevent disconnection of power and coax, removal of SD card, etc.:
Tamper-Proof Case - BlackVue

Thank you, look great. Good in particular if you plan to put your car for share, like on getaround or turo.

One issue is that you cannot reformat the SD card, by pressing the Wifi button for 10 seconds, without
having to unbolt the Allen screws. May be I could put a tiny hole, but would not be tamper proof any more.

I was thinking also to have the front camera moved into a smaller case, like the one on the back,
allowing the recorder to be located in a hiding location instead of been so prominently visible.

To have front and rear camera separated from the main unit would then allow to put also a camera
on each side of the vehicle
, something I am considering to install when the unit price will decrease.

Be done with it, buy bringing both your key fobs to bed with you every night. That's a sure thing

"Across the USA, thieves have begun using a device called a power amplifier to help unlock the cars.
The amplifier, which can cost less than $20 over the Internet — takes the signal from the car
and projects it as far as 100 meters
, so your car can find your key fob in your purse,
pocket or the table where you dump your stuff when you come in the door."

Putting keys in freezer could prevent car break-ins

Two Tesla Model S cars were recently stolen in Europe and it’s puzzling the owners

Beside a car alarm, I use a Pedal to Steering Wheel Lock.
I never had a broken windows since I started to use it.

I have also an hidden fuel pump kill switch.

Hi guys!

New here :)

So, I've the model X (the one before the last one) and I've got a big issue.

My son have found the keys and drove the car last night. I didn't say him that I know it, because I want ser if I can trust him.

Just hide the keys and that's it !!