TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BIG ISSUE

Discussion in 'Model X' started by FrenchY, Mar 21, 2017.

1. FrenchY

FrenchY Member

Hi guys!

New here :)

So, I've the model X (the one before the last one) and I've got a big issue.

My son have found the keys and drove the car last night. I didn't say him that I know it, because I want ser if I can trust him.

Look : I wanna know if it's possible to set a notification on the Tesla App to know when someone is using it. Do you think this is possible ? Or do you think that I have to check on the App to see if the car's moving ?

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

@FrenchY, one possible option is to plug the car in at night. If someone unplugs it, you should get a notification that the car stopped charging (assuming you have Notifications turned on for "Charging Interrupted"). Of course, if he waits until the car is fully charged, then you won't get that notification.

Also, put it into Valet mode after you park it for the evening. That way it has speed limitations.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. JPP

JPP Active Member

I think that the old Java app VisibleTesla can be set up to send notifications for things like speed (kph) at a user defined setting, plus geolocations. Search these forums for the thread.

4. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

It's not possible with the app itself, but maybe there's a 3rd party app that does it?

In the API the the drive_state object will tell you if the car is being driven or not, and if so you can get the speed, lat/long and other useful info. So it would be possible to check that every few minutes, and raise an alert when it switches to drive.

5. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Poor teenagers today. Half my teenage hanky panky was done in the backseat in abandoned parking lots late at night with my girlfriend. The world has changed...

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

May be just install a Dashcam!

I have a Blackvue so I have video, speed, acceleration and breaking, and GPS information.

Well, your kid could disconnect the camera or remove the memory card...
    But you can have the On-the cloud all the time transmission, so you will know if it is disconnected.

You can even be able to talk directly with the driver or listen from your home using the dashcam.

• Like x 1
  7. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I have no experience with it, but Verizon makes a product called, "Hum," that offers features you are looking for.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

They now offer a tamper-proof case to prevent disconnection of power and coax, removal of SD card, etc.: Tamper-Proof Case - BlackVue

• Informative x 1
  9. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Didn't know about this, thank you for the link!!!

10. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

Don't leave the key out! Other than that, there are spy gadgets with GPS that you could install. Or a dashcam with GPS, but you'd have to comb through the data every night.

11. travis010

travis010 Member

If you use Teslafi, you will have easy to view logs of all of your car activity (sleeping/parked/charging/driving).

• Like x 1
  12. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Be done with it, buy bringing both your key fobs to bed with you every night. That's a sure thing

13. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Better in a 5-seater...

• Funny x 1
  14. spentan

spentan Active Member

Have you considered keeping the one key on your keychain (and safe during the night), and using the app wherever you can?

15. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I had a Chevy II wagon (2nd row folded down) in high school, but my MX 5 seater, as you mention, would be delightful....

16. travwill

travwill Active Member

VisibleTesla - you can set all kinds of custom notificaitons for when unplugged, when leaves or enters different geo areas, etc. Just know that it only sends simple email notifications, but hey you can have then ITFF do tons with an email, flash lights, etc hehehe depending on your smart home ;-)

- have to keep the app running on a PC/mac during that whole time.
    - the last version may show a model S instead of X, but all still works (not sunroof of course).
    - the last version does not let us click on location tab, crashes. Just avoid that tab and its fine.

17. larmor

larmor Active Member

Send him a list of groceries--he won't be going out in your car for long after that....

• Funny x 2
  18. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Thank you, look great. Good in particular if you plan to put your car for share, like on getaround or turo.

One issue is that you cannot reformat the SD card, by pressing the Wifi button for 10 seconds, without
    having to unbolt the Allen screws. May be I could put a tiny hole, but would not be tamper proof any more.

I was thinking also to have the front camera moved into a smaller case, like the one on the back,
    allowing the recorder to be located in a hiding location instead of been so prominently visible.

To have front and rear camera separated from the main unit would then allow to put also a camera
    on each side of the vehicle
    , something I am considering to install when the unit price will decrease.

19. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

"Across the USA, thieves have begun using a device called a power amplifier to help unlock the cars.
    The amplifier, which can cost less than $20 over the Internet — takes the signal from the car
    and projects it as far as 100 meters
    , so your car can find your key fob in your purse,
    pocket or the table where you dump your stuff when you come in the door."

Putting keys in freezer could prevent car break-ins

Two Tesla Model S cars were recently stolen in Europe and it’s puzzling the owners

Beside a car alarm, I use a Pedal to Steering Wheel Lock.
    I never had a broken windows since I started to use it.

I have also an hidden fuel pump kill switch.

20. PatrickCH4313

PatrickCH4313 Member

Just hide the keys and that's it !!