Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to the satellite view, it looks like the subscription also provides traffic data on the map. Seems odd that these two items couldn’t also be now delivered via this hotspot function. Maybe we just need to wait for them to update some of the older documentation around this

In addition to the satellite view, it looks like the subscription also provides traffic data on the map. Seems odd that these two items couldn’t also be now delivered via this hotspot function. Maybe we just need to wait for them to update some of the older documentation around this
These two features are not available on wifi nor hotspot because Google charges Tesla for this data. Since I use these two features a lot, I plan to keep the subscription on after my trial expires next year.

I'm not understanding the "new" hotspot feature with this update. I can already use my phone's hotspot, I just have to turn on wifi while driving. Does this just keep wifi turned on automatically when switching from park to drive?

I'm not understanding the "new" hotspot feature with this update. I can already use my phone's hotspot, I just have to turn on wifi while driving. Does this just keep wifi turned on automatically when switching from park to drive?
Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. For people who no longer have premium connectivity you can be on wifi hotspot on your phone and it will stay connected when you shift out of park. For people still using the premium connectivity I don't think it will cause issues with home wifi as the car looses signal when they drive away... I think it will automatically switch seamlessly from wifi to the cars data plan.

Keith

Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. For people who no longer have premium connectivity you can be on wifi hotspot on your phone and it will stay connected when you shift out of park. For people still using the premium connectivity I don't think it will cause issues with home wifi as the car looses signal when they drive away... I think it will automatically switch seamlessly from wifi to the cars data plan.

Keith
Interesting... I'm actually very surprised that they are making it easier to use a phone's wifi hotspot as it will undoubtedly cut into their Premium Connectivity subscriptions. My phone is 5G and I live in a city that has widespread 5G service, so my phone's data connection is faster than the LTE connection in the car (which I think is 4G). So as long as navigation will still re-route based on traffic and accidents, I don't care if I can see the red lines or not on the map. Also, the satellite map is nice to look at, but not really functional. Why would I fork out the $10/mo when my free trial ends next week?

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Interesting... I'm actually very surprised that they are making it easier to use a phone's wifi hotspot as it will undoubtedly cut into their Premium Connectivity subscriptions. My phone is 5G and I live in a city that has widespread 5G service, so my phone's data connection is faster than the LTE connection in the car (which I think is 4G). So as long as navigation will still re-route based on traffic and accidents, I don't care if I can see the red lines or not on the map. Also, the satellite map is nice to look at, but not really functional. Why would I fork out the $10/mo when my free trial ends next week?
I am with you on this. When I first saw the announcement about the latest update like many others I read it backwards and thought they were finally offering wifi hotspot on the car to use with your devices... this would make me much more likely to keep the subscription connectivity... as is I will let it lapse when the free trial runs out.

Keith