Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big News coming ? Tesla extends for only 2 weeks - Model S/X free referral Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla extends free unlimited Supercharging for Model S and Model X with referral program

Tesla has previously extended the free supercharging program before - but never for only 2 weeks - to the best of my knowledge. Does this mean that an imminent announcement is coming about a possible major redesign ?

Could it be that they figure this new major change will be enough to boost s&x sales without free supercharging ?

Any ideas why this is only a 2 week extension ?

The latest round of Tesla’s referral program for owners was supposed to end last night, but the automaker has extended it for two more weeks – maintaining the opportunity for new buyers to get free unlimited Supercharging for Model S and Model X vehicles a little longer.

Just as a reminder, the default Supercharger access model when buying a new Tesla Model S or Model X is already the new pay-per-use model unless the buyer is being referred by an existing Tesla owner, in which case, it reverts to the old unlimited free access model.

Model 3 buyers don’t have access to a referral incentive and therefore, they directly fall under to the new pay-per-use model, which consists of paying per kWh charged from a Supercharger station or per minute of using a station in the states and provinces where Tesla can’t officially “sell” electricity due to local restrictions.

Tesla recently increased the cost of using its Supercharger stations under this model, but the company insist it ‘will never be a profit center.’

Right now, Model S and Model X buyers virtually all use referral codes and therefore, they access Supercharger stations for free.

The benefit is threatened to be taken away after each referral program round, which generally last about a quarter, but Tesla has been reintroducing it every time.

The last round officially started May 1 and it was supposed to end yesterday July 15, but Tesla updated its referral program support page last night to extend the round to July 31.

It results in Model S and Model X buyers still having two more weeks, at least depending on the next round, to get free unlimited Supercharging, and Tesla owners have two more weeks to get more referrals in order to get prizes.

Over the past few rounds, Tesla has been mostly using the same prizes but with different thresholds of eligibility per prizes.

For this round, Tesla owners with up to 5 referrals can get prizes ranging from a special black Tesla Wall Connector to a Powerwall 2.

Speaking of referral prizes, Tesla is behind on the delivery of many of them for previous rounds, but we learned that last week that the long-awaited Powerwall 2 Founders series signed by Elon Musk finally started being delivered.

Quote: "Perhaps the phasing out of the federal tax credit is enough to boost sales in the US for the rest of the year."

hmmm...you really think so ?

despite the 3 modest being very different - there is a sizeable contingent that would be fine with any of the three models they have. you don't think that taking the supercharging away from x&s as current models would drive more 3 sales ? - they hurting profitability ?

particularly considering the fact that lifetime free supercharging doesn't cost Tesla that much relative to the value of the car.

Two weeks does seem short so maybe something is up but then again I wouldn't bet against it just being Tesla continually shaking those fence sitters to see who falls off. I can't even remember how long ago we were first told by Tesla that free supercharging is going away. We're so far beyond the boy crying wolf that I've tuned out the continual extensions.

Reactions: David99
Good points Canuck...and you are right that if it was another 3 month extension, I too would have tuned it out, but...

Its very unusual to hear about an extension this short- makes we wonder if they have already re-designed an interior for the s&x and are looking to launch it in 2-3 weeks

Lots of discussion in investor section about this. But I think consensus was that Elon had to have something else up his sleeve. Maybe it was China. Maybe it is an s/x refresh. If it happens in two weeks Musks 3 week comment happening in six weeks certainly wouldn't be unprecedented.

Lots of discussion in investor section about this. But I think consensus was that Elon had to have something else up his sleeve. Maybe it was China. Maybe it is an s/x refresh. If it happens in two weeks Musks 3 week comment happening in six weeks certainly wouldn't be unprecedented.

would love to see an announcement for the new P120DL S&X with Factory heads up display

I doubt they would extend the program for 2 weeks just to keep people buying until a refresh. I think they are basically trying to figure out what to do with supercharging for the S/X. Do they want it to start costing in the future or what are they going to do, and in the meantime they will keep extending the current system.

Two weeks does seem short so maybe something is up but then again I wouldn't bet against it just being Tesla continually shaking those fence sitters to see who falls off. I can't even remember how long ago we were first told by Tesla that free supercharging is going away. We're so far beyond the boy crying wolf that I've tuned out the continual extensions.
December 2016. [Related to the timing of Illyria (see sig) purchase decision.]

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Didn't Elon say he wasn't going to produce battery packs higher than 100 for the s and x?
Yep. That was said. Whether it’s forever, who knows. Maybe it can turn into ‘with those batteries’. :D

In any event should be interesting to see what happens in two weeks as people have been ‘warning’ free Supercharging was going to evaporate for a while now and it was extended as usual. I’m getting sick of all the clickbait YouTubes every time this happens. :confused: