Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Party for Tesla owners, fans, environmentalists & legislators / fundraiser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone probably already realizes that I live ~15 min from the Dedham SpC & SvC. 8 stalls. Quick top-offs. I had considered asking Tesla for a temporary charging station for the party duration but decided against it because I didn't want a fossil fuel-fired generator at this event. Poor visuals for partygoers, poor visuals for media. And, as I said, only 15 min to an SpC for a top-off.

And the Natick Mall is pretty close with 80A chargers...

Perhaps unsurprisingly for a nonprofit focused on a social cause, the organization has not done a good job of telling people *how* to donate. So... you can go to climate-xchange.org and donate there. Uses PayPal to accept credit cards and, well... PayPal.

Or you can write a check made out to MEVEF-CXC and mail it to
Climate XChange Education and Research, Inc. (or just Climate XChange)
PO Box 431
Concord, MA 01742

MEVEF is the fiscal sponsor for CXC; the money goes into an account overseen by MEVEF but usable by CXC.

Or you can bring a check with you.

Or you can pay cash the day of the event.

Or you can pay via credit card that day (a nice person will take your credit card and use the CXC website to enter it, or you can do the same yourself).

Or you can skip paying, because it's a party, and everyone we've invited is a guest, and I believe strongly that I'd prefer in this situation not to be forcing people to pay if they don't agree with the group or the cause or pretty much for any reason whatsoever.

Also, no money donated goes to pay party expenses or that kind of thing. Just straight into the CXC coffers to be used for education, advocacy, a lot of paper and ink and a website and commissioning econometric reports that show the surprising upsides of carbon-fee-and-rebate, and so on.

Thanks for asking!

The suggested donation to the Climate Exchange is $25 per person. How and when do you prefer that we make our donations? At the door? Before we get there?

Looking forward to it in a couple of days!

Alan, thanks for hosting this! It was fun to see the streets lined with Model Ses. The one I parked behind had Wyoming plates!

BTW, my concern about Auburn was unfounded. I had all 8 stalls to myself on the way up this afternoon. Still have to see what Dedham looks like in the morning I guess. :)

I'm so bummed I couldn't make it up there today -- I was all ready to go, but we had some lingering teenage drama to play itself out, so I couldn't just take off mid-day. Good thing I stayed, as much as I wanted to go. If you do this again, I'll surely get there next time! Looking forward to see lots of pics.

Spread the word. :smile:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope all worked out for the best for you, @Robert.Boston! People inquired after you at the event; you were missed.

Party seemed to go well -- I hope! -- and it seemed like people had a good time. I'll post some pictures and follow-ups in the next few days (I'm exhausted). My wife and I spent most of today cleaning up and paying staff but one really nice thing is that our 350 or so guests actually left the house and grounds in very good shape (and we appreciate that!). A lot of Tesla owners and even TMC members showed up, and we had a mess o' Teslas everywhere. I learned that sending a videographer down to the check-in area can slow things down dramatically; so, too, downloading the guest list from Paperless Post and making pre-printed name tags for everybody except that courtesy of Paperless Post the default download order is NOT ALPHABETIZED, so I'm sorry to say people had to do linear scans of the guest list to find themselves. On top of that, our two volunteers for the check-in table showed up very late. @EdA and his wife leapt into the fray and sorted things out, which was just plain awesome and made a big difference for our guests and for the party. Thanks, @EdA!!

Also, many people contributed generously (and optionally, donations were NOT required of our guests!) to Climate XChange, which was wonderful. I want those people to know that their money goes directly to CXC's activities and not a dime from CXC is going towards any of the event-related costs (food, drink, etc.), and I wish I had said something about that sooner.

Alan

Very sorry to have missed this event; something came up that required us to stay here in Maine. I hope it was a great event!

Alan,
The overall event was very well executed and the glitches were not a huge inconvenience. It was a great party. You deserve a break after helping your wife put it all together :)
Surprised that no one's mentioned the raffle yet….
CXCs Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle | Climate XChange

I have to admit that the speeches were both informative and inspiring. I think I'll be reading up on carbon pricing.
Thanks very much for opening your home and putting it all together.

Alan,
The overall event was very well executed and the glitches were not a huge inconvenience. It was a great party. You deserve a break after helping your wife put it all together :)
Surprised that no one's mentioned the raffle yet….
CXCs Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle | Climate XChange

I have to admit that the speeches were both informative and inspiring. I think I'll be reading up on carbon pricing.
Thanks very much for opening your home and putting it all together.

I agree. Alan, you may have been acutely aware of the minor glitches, but they weren't noticeable to the attendees (with the exception of having to scan through the nametag sheets wondering who was the idiot who sorted them that way :rolleyes:). Alan won't blow his own horn, but I saw at least one press article on the party, raffle and most importantly the S1747 Bill

Bill S.1747

The Perfect Tesla Raffle Will Benefit Climate XChange - Gas 2

Everyone, please contact your MA state representatives re S1747 - and remember a phone call has much more impact than an email: Find a Legislator
. And you don't have to live in MA to enter the raffle - at least I don't think so...

I just called my MA State Senator, Sal N. DiDomenico's office. He is not listed as a co-sponsor of S.1747 but his aide told me that the Senator is generally a supporter of environmental issues, and while he had no specific notes on the bill he expected him to vote in favor of it. My State Representative, Marjorie Decker, is a co-sponsor so I'll call to thank her for doing so.

Guys, thanks for the kind words! I was especially chuffed at @ArtInCT's observation that there were many Tesla owners present who weren't TMC members or who were infrequent contributors. I had really hoped to have an event where Tesla-interested people (not just owners) would connect and maybe find that reflected later in Meetup memberships or TMC or teslamotors.com. There was no litmus test for an invitation to the event: pretty much any interest in Tesla or electric cars would do. The valets were blown away by the number of Teslas they saw and parked. :)

As for horn-tooting, well... sad to say, when I've had another day's sleep or so, I'm going to be out there, engaged in attention-seeking behaviors, raising the profile of the raffle. I'm really excited at the chance to put someone in a Tesla, maybe even someone who wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford one! And the raffle certainly helps call attention to carbon pricing.

Alan