Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Phone in Small Car: Need Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I've been happily driving my V2.5 with various iPhones. Even with case, everything up to the 5S fits nicely in that V-shape opening in the center "console" where the phone plug is.

I just got an iPhone 6S Plus. Yeah, 5.5" of screen is too much for my 'ittle Roadster. I don't want anything clunky, but I can't have my phone flapping around. Yeah, I could not plug it in, but then I've got to use Bluetooth for music and besides on long drives it's handy to be charging the phone.

I could do a velcro thing - stick the furry side to the back of the phone case and stick the hooks to the rubber thing in the center "console," but I'm hoping there's something better as those hooks are lint magnets and the fur wears out pretty quickly, not to mention being kind of ugly on my phone.

So far, just getting a longer cable and putting the phone in the cup holder seems like the best option, but sometimes it's nice to be able to glance at the phone screen.

Ideas welcome!

Thanks, but those solutions are either for v1.5s or for the phone taking up passenger footwell space. I'm looking for something to hold it in the middle of the console, where the smaller phones naturally fit. I'm also not too excited about double-stick taping the mount in place.

Yeah, I was just looking at something similar that is magnet based: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0109JIQ0W

What I'm thinking is that I already have some pretty big rare earth magnets. So:
1) Sandwich a metal plate bewteen the back of the phone and the case
2) Mount a rare earth magnet to the back of the rubber flap cover in the V2.5 Roadster.

But, I'm concerned that the rubber flap won't stay put, and what I should really do is get something 3D printed that holds a magnet on the back and fits into the opening. But, I'm not engineer enough to design something. Anyone want to take up the challenge?

I use a "Steelie" just below the gear selector.. That location is OK but not too practical as the parking brake blocks the screen somewhat.
The phone stays in well in place due to the charging cable that comes from the ipod dock. Without that, the phone would move during spirited driving.

STCK_Feature_00_l.jpg

As a heavy Waze and Spotify user, I'm still not pleased with my setup. That's why I decided to upgrade my headunit now, so everything is available right there...

I have a Blackberry Passport that is also too wide for that pocket. I've thought about just cutting the sides of that pocket area so the phone would sit there. I have a rubberized case that combined w/ the little rubber flap would likely keep it in place. But I'm hesitant to start cutting on the console. Who knows what a new one would cost...

6s Plus

I have the 6 Plus too. What I have done is pretty simple, though not as sturdy. I have a short extension that turns the 30-pin connector into the lightening connector. It allows me to turn the phone upside down and set it right beside the center console. That way it charges, and the length of the cable keeps the phone right there beside the console without flapping around too much. I get the tunes, the charging and the convenience that if I want to pick it up, it is right there. I can't take the picture with the phone and have the phone connected, but you get the idea below. You can have the phone between the console and driver's seat or just in front of it. I haven't had a problem with the phone sliding all around.
IMG_2800.JPG

@Viperdoc: so the cable shown in your photo will charge your iPhone AND also sends the audio output from your phone to the Roadster's stereo so you can play music from your phone through the car's speakers? Where did you buy that cable, and what is the name of the company that makes it? I can find quite a few on Amazon but I don't trust the cheap aftermarket cables.

I have a 1.5 and would like to do that using the 30 pin connector in my car, but want a longer cable because my phone sits in an iOttie mount attached to the side of my center console, and in a 1.5 the 30 pin connector is lower down and close to the floor. So I need a cable that is at least 12" long. The cable shown in your photo appears to be much shorter than that, correct?
I don't power/charge my phone from the 12V outlet under the center console because I use that outlet to power a heads-up speedometer display, which requires the full power output from the 12V outlet. I tried using a 12V adaptor with two USB ports connected to both the heads up unit and my phone but the heads-up unit wouldn't work. I changed to a 12V adaptor with just one output and then the heads-up unit worked fine.
So with the heads-up unit powered through the 12V outlet I have no place to charge my phone. I did not realize that the 30 pin connector could also charge the phone. My error.

Last edited: