Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop - LR down $10k, Plaid down $21k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should really stop listening to cnn cnbc
Yes, Tesla voluntarily reduced their prices 20+% across the board to put competitors “on notice” and out of business. 😂

Rising interest rates, market manipulation by the federal government, mass layoffs in the tech sector, collapsing used car market, and basically every other macroeconomic indicator available have nothing to do with it.

You’ve gotta be huffing some serious Elon farts for this to be a rational interpretation of reality.

Yes, Tesla voluntarily reduced their prices 20+% across the board to put competitors “on notice” and out of business. 😂

Rising interest rates, market manipulation by the federal government, mass layoffs in the tech sector, collapsing used car market, and basically every other macroeconomic indicator available have nothing to do with it.

You’ve gotta be huffing some serious Elon farts for this to be a rational interpretation of reality.
You said cratering demand
Sales have been up every quarter
30-40%. That’s the REALITY.
The move does involve many of what you listed above but in the end they can maneuver much better than OEM’s in the EV market and keep them from real competition with the moves they’re making. They’re in a good place with their financials.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOOMER7
Sales have been up every quarter last 5 years
30-40%. Sorry I deal with REALITY
Alright, you've got a point and most of us are not economists. There is a big difference between demand, demand growth, and quantity demanded. The way I read it is that prices are normalizing after so much artificial stimulus stemming from the pandemic and the 12 year bull cycle of cheap capital. Tesla chased the quantity demanded curve upwards and did very well with net margins over the last several years. Now the competition is stepping up, cost of capital is increasing, a recession may be looming, quantity demanded at the higher price is softening, and demand growth is concerning, Tesla decided to drop the price to where they believe it is right while still appearing to be profitable. The long game is to retain marketshare of EVs and to stay ahead of the competition.

This is not some cheap-trick that Tesla is doing. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Yes, precisely.

Sales have been up every quarter
30-40%.
1) “Past performance is not indicative of future results”

2) Increasing sales and production is something you have to manage within the context of demand, and Tesla has done that via pricing and demand manipulation for years.

3) If Tesla thought they could continue to sell every car they made in 2023 at prior pricing, you have to be completely deluded to think they wouldn’t do exactly that.

Sorry I deal with REALITY.
😂
What color is the sky in your reality, and what are the underlying economic principles?

Be cool friend. I’m sure you’re right. Massive overnight price drop that made them public enemy #1 in the eyes of every new customer they landed in the last 3 months is a brilliant long-term thinking move to crush competitors who combined are at present manufacturing a fraction of Tesla’s output. Definitely nothing to do with the fact that nobody was gonna keep buying their cars at the crazy prices on offer. 👍🏻

Reactions: AMPd and Richbot
Yes, precisely.

1) “Past performance is not indicative of future results”

2) Increasing sales and production is something you have to manage within the context of demand, and Tesla has done that via pricing and demand manipulation for years.

3) If Tesla thought they could continue to sell every car they made in 2023 at prior pricing, you have to be completely deluded to think they wouldn’t do exactly that.

😂
What color is the sky in your reality, and what are the underlying economic principles?

Be cool friend. I’m sure you’re right. Massive overnight price drop that made them public enemy #1 in the eyes of every new customer they landed in the last 3 months is a brilliant long-term thinking move to crush competitors who combined are at present manufacturing a fraction of Tesla’s output. Definitely nothing to do with the fact that nobody was gonna keep buying their cars at the crazy prices on offer. 👍🏻

Sorry you lost me at
Number one…..1.
Thx 4 the chuckles you’ve provided though
Im gonna let the thread get back on track

Last edited:
I'm 10% sure the price might go up and I'm 10% sure the price might go down...
See? I can't be wrong, just like the weatherman.
I'll never understand why a meteorologist says 100% or 0% chance of rain. Those two absolutes are, after all, the only way they can truly ever be wrong. Why would you not even give yourself the wiggle room that 95% or 5% affords? Hell, even 99% or 1% still technically keeps you from being entirely wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
As production increases, pricing may need to lower to reach more people. After all, Tesla did outsell other higher end vehicles by a wide margin.

With a large tax credit that was on the horizon, people of course would wait.

Tesla’s goal is to sell as many EVs as possible.

I would bet that every single other automaker wishes they were in Tesla’s position with their products, margins and pricing power.

I’ve been reading the ID4 and MME forums. Many of the MME owners and reservation holders are switching to Tesla. Some ID4 people. But most are in complete denial on how this will affect other vehicles besides Tesla. Especially if Tesla can keep ramping production and lower costs.

Other brand EV owners are in for a rude awakening. But all of this is a good thing for future EV buyers.

I'll never understand why a meteorologist says 100% or 0% chance of rain. Those two absolutes are, after all, the only way they can truly ever be wrong. Why would you not even give yourself the wiggle room that 95% or 5% affords? Hell, even 99% or 1% still technically keeps you from being entirely wrong.
This is what we should all be really upset about. Most people here already have cars, so why argue about pricing? I'm more pissed that it snowed today, when there was a 0% chance. I washed my car and everything!

This is what we should all be really upset about. Most people here already have cars, so why argue about pricing? I'm more pissed that it snowed today, when there was a 0% chance. I washed my car and everything!
When you wash your car it sets off a chain reaction in the atmosphere that triggers precipitation to occur 24 hours or less with almost a 99% probability.
I am sure I could solve drought problems in the driest areas of the world.

What is the best deal right now on a PLAID? Where should I look? I am Interested in an inventory vehicle or new if price is a good deal.

I have a 2014 P85+ fully loaded with only 40k miles that I am considering swapping out, I purchased as an Inventory vehicle back in 2015 and I used this cool website to search inventory / demo vehicles, does that website still exist?

What is the best deal right now on a PLAID? Where should I look? I am Interested in an inventory vehicle or new if price is a good deal.

I have a 2014 P85+ fully loaded with only 40k miles that I am considering swapping out, I purchased as an Inventory vehicle back in 2015 and I used this cool website to search inventory / demo vehicles, does that website still exist?

Carmax has one as low as $91k right now. https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=plaid

Lowest I see on Tesla's site is $110k for a 2022 with EAP