Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There might be a way to satiate people, and it’s one that actually boosts sales while generating good will.

Offer folks who bought direct and at elevated pricing from Tesla a $5-15K (model dependent) bump on their trade in toward a new unit.

they'll probably throw more SC miles at them (which are almost like frequent flyer points) and call it a day.

Tesla vehicles are still $5k too expensive. They aren’t a Luxury Brand, they are premium like Acura and Buick, Infiniti.

I’m sure it cost Musk about $25-$30k to make a Model 3 and with no middle man they keep all the profit.

how about a Model y?

I agree about Acura and Infiniti but not Buick,,,Unless you're in China. I think TSLA makes luxury cars, but the experience is less than luxury. Very assembly line, no exceptions Soup Nazi. I'm glad i haven't had any major issues with my 3. The car is the best I have owned for the price. It's good soup!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I understand your frustration, but what would you have Tesla do?

They should either have a price protection policy where within a certain time of purchase there is a price drop, they offer you a price adjustment to match to the lower price. If that's too much to ask for free, at least offer it as a form of insurance for a nominal fee paid upfront.

With the kind of stunts Tesla has been pulling lately, buyers should be very wary of their pricing and would likely be willing to pay for such an insurance product.

They should either have a price protection policy where within a certain time of purchase there is a price drop, they offer you a price adjustment to match to the lower price. If that's too much to ask for free, at least offer it as a form of insurance for a nominal fee paid upfront.

With the kind of stunts Tesla has been pulling lately, buyers should be very wary of their pricing and would likely be willing to pay for such an insurance product.
Good idea, but most CCs got rid of their price adjustment insurance products. They were losing money on huge price drops... I guess it might work during inflationary times, but TSLA is a tech product.

I don't see any third party willing to offer such an insurance product for a meaningfully low premium. Knowing how volatile Tesla car prices have been recently, they would want a huge premium to offer price protection guarantee if they wish to stay in business.

This product has to come straight from Tesla. For them, the premium assigned will be much lower as they have full control over the pricing of the underlying product i.e. the car.

For the buyer it reduces price uncertainty. For Tesla it is another revenue stream and even the loss making scenario builds goodwill with the customer.

afadeev said:
Every Tesla owner has just taken a massive used-car depreciation hit, proportional to the drop in the new Tesla prices.
Is that really THAT hard to see?

Are you planning on selling today?

Timing of potential sale is immaterial to recognizing the impact of the price drop on the value of our cars.

Pining for a reality check, and a dose of common sense.

I would suggest to sell the car now to prevent Tesla price cut again in near future. Good luck.

I looked into selling my TM3P last fall, with an eye towards upgrading to something new.
Even at that time the used Tesla prices had taken a MASSIVE hit from over-supply. My clean 3.5 year old 40K mile TM3P was getting offers around 53% of the original purchase price.

YMMV

Last edited:
I looked into selling my TM3P last fall, with an eye towards upgrading to something new.
Even at that time the used Tesla prices had taken a MASSIVE hit from over-supply. My clean 3.5 year old 40K mile TM3P was getting offers around 53% of the original purchase price.

YMMV
We didn’t trade in our P3D at the very top of the market but it was definitely before the used market started collapsing in on itself.

What we saw in the last two years was very much an anomaly and probably won’t ever happen again as long as we keep a firm grip on borrowing.

They should either have a price protection policy where within a certain time of purchase there is a price drop, they offer you a price adjustment to match to the lower price.

Tesla actually did something like this back in 2018 when they made the "Performance Upgrade Package" on the M3 standard (it had been a $5k option) and gave a refund to early buyers who had paid $5k for the package. Those who had purchased the car without the PUP unfortunately missed out.

Every Tesla owner has just taken a massive used-car depreciation hit, proportional to the drop in the new Tesla prices.
Is that really THAT hard to see?

The value loss maybe more visible to those who had just purchased their cars, but all of us got hit. Hard.
If you didn't realize that yet, call around to price the value of your used Tesla. :eek:

BOHICA!

a
Where do I begin?

First, I wasn’t aware that Tesla was under any expectation or obligation to price their cars to maintain used car values. Tesla’s job is to build and sell cars. Not prop up the used car market.

Second, anyone with any modicum of insight could see that both the used and new car markets were artificially inflated last year. Tesla raised prices accordingly, and is now dropping them as the market cools off and normalizes, exactly as one would expect them to do.

Anyone paying attention to used car inventory, wait times on new orders and new car inventory could see this coming so I’m not sure why it’s a surprise to anyone.

Finally, I bought my car to drive, not to flip. It still drives the same now as it did a month ago. Cars have always been a horrible investment - if you’re playing that game then you should be prepared to get burned, whether it’s with Tesla or anyone else.

Tesla actually did something like this back in 2018 when they made the "Performance Upgrade Package" on the M3 standard (it had been a $5k option) and gave a refund to early buyers who had paid $5k for the package. Those who had purchased the car without the PUP unfortunately missed out.
i do remember that. It was right when I joined TMC. People have forgotten the last time how volatile pricing was with tax credit phaseouts. Hang on! Question is whether history will repeat itself now with more drops or is this it.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
i do remember that. It was right when I joined TMC. People have forgotten the last time how volatile pricing was with tax credit phaseouts. Hang on! Question is whether history will repeat itself now with more drops or is this it.
Who else remembers the S/X Raven price slash before the refresh?

No one should be surprised by Tesla’s schitzo pricing schemes by now. If it seems like we’re blasé about it, it’s because we’re used to being jerked around regarding this aspect.

Who else remembers the S/X Raven price slash before the refresh?

No one should be surprised by Tesla’s schitzo pricing schemes by now. If it seems like we’re blasé about it, it’s because we’re used to being jerked around regarding this aspect.

Beatings will continue till morale improves ;)

What was the X Raven price slash before the refresh? I remember the $69,420 S price (since it was so memorable)

Reactions: Watts_Up
At the beginning of 2020, the base price of the entry MX was $84,990 but it eventually dropped to $79,990. The base price of the MX Performance also dropped $5,000 that year, going from $104,990 to $99,990.

I think I saw a price graph online. Looking for the Y as well. The SR Y variant has been discontinued but I'm curious about its price as a baseline, apparently its in inventory but I don't see any in AZ

I think I saw a price graph online. Looking for the Y as well. The SR Y variant has been discontinued but I'm curious about its price as a baseline, apparently its in inventory but I don't see any in AZ
What you may be seeing is the new Austin builds.

The only way you’re going to find a SR+ Y (RWD) is to search for a used one. Those may very well be the ones that hold their value the best to be honest.

Tesla discontinued the "original" MY SR in February 2021 (at least in the U.S.), although it was still available "off menu" for a while. It had initially carried a base price of $41,990, then Tesla lowered it to $39,990 and shortly after that it was discontinued.

A new 2023 MY SR is available "off menu" with a base price of $50,990. Unlike the 2021 model which was RWD, this version is dual motor AWD. Since Tesla doesn't post all of its new inventory online, anyone interested in a vehicle like this may want to talk their local sales advisor regarding potential availability. The SR's range estimate is 279 miles compared to 330 miles for the LR.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh